  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 29, 2005 3:37:01 PM

Using w98se, when I boots up, the pc goes to the startup manual. so I choose
safe mode and I did a scan and also on-line scan, both give zero infections.
Now, when I do a Scandisk, it will scan until half way of the hdd (Maxtor 54k
rpm, 20gb) size. I do not think the hdd light should always be on (light
perpetually on). am I correct? Does that means my hdd is just ablout to go?

Now I am doing the disk defragmentation. and hope it will not freeze half
way thru,

look forward for your comments on my hdd, thanks

More about : hdd light

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 4:40:25 PM

"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 9E425BF-4156-4B33-A78E-1087D5F76907@microsoft.com...
> Using w98se, when I boots up, the pc goes to the startup manual. so I
> choose
> safe mode.

So far so good. And then what did you do? Restart in Normal mode?

>and I did a scan and also on-line scan, both give zero infections.

I assume you mean you scanned for viruses. But you didn't do that in
safe mode. You can't go online in Safe Mode. In any case, the type of
behavior you describe, if it's due to malicious software, is probably
not a classic virus. It's more likely one of any number of
Spyware/Adware, etc.

> Now, when I do a Scandisk, it will scan until half way of the hdd
> (Maxtor 54k
> rpm, 20gb) size.

And then what happens? Error message? Or does it simply start the scan
over again, and again, and again?

>I do not think the hdd light should always be on (light
> perpetually on). am I correct? Does that means my hdd is just ablout
> to go?

Not necessarily. It means something is continuosly writeing or reading
from the HD. Some "legit" programs do that--like FastFind, a file
indexer that's from MS Office. But many "spybots" also cause the HD to
run continuously, as they are searching for your personal info,
passwords, bank accounts, etc.

> Now I am doing the disk defragmentation. and hope it will not freeze
> half
> way thru,

I would stop doing that until you determine for sure that teh drive
itslef is in good shape. If it's not, Defrag can make the situation much
worse.

> look forward for your comments on my hdd, thanks

Read the two articles listed in my signature. Spend a couple of days
getting used to the procedures, scanning for other malicious software
besides viruses, cleaning up your system, etc. DO NOT let scandisk fix
anything if it finds errors without reporting back here first to make
sure it's wise to let scandisk "fix" errors. It may fix you, but good,
instead. DO NOT defrag until you're sure the disk is healthy.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Using w98se, when I boots up, the pc goes to the startup manual.

What do you mean by "the startup manual" - a selection of different boot
options?

> so I choose safe mode and I did a scan and also on-line scan, both give
zero infections.
> Now, when I do a Scandisk, it will scan until half way of the hdd (Maxtor
54k
> rpm, 20gb) size. I do not think the hdd light should always be on (light
> perpetually on). am I correct? Does that means my hdd is just ablout to
go?

My old hard drive(Maxtor 40GB, 72K rpm) broke a short while ago and it
didn't do those things, Scandisk just kept getting bigger and bigger errors
until the hard drive gave in. I never did a Defrag.

jkb
Related resources
June 29, 2005 6:51:50 PM

Imean to say 'safe mode menu' where you have to option to satrt in safe
mode. normal etc.
Defragmentation has just completed and surprise it ddi not give the result
of the scan. Dont we get the details of the scan when we d it in 'safe mode'?

Do you think my hard disk is failing soon?

"jkb" wrote:

> > Using w98se, when I boots up, the pc goes to the startup manual.
>
> What do you mean by "the startup manual" - a selection of different boot
> options?
>
> > so I choose safe mode and I did a scan and also on-line scan, both give
> zero infections.
> > Now, when I do a Scandisk, it will scan until half way of the hdd (Maxtor
> 54k
> > rpm, 20gb) size. I do not think the hdd light should always be on (light
> > perpetually on). am I correct? Does that means my hdd is just ablout to
> go?
>
> My old hard drive(Maxtor 40GB, 72K rpm) broke a short while ago and it
> didn't do those things, Scandisk just kept getting bigger and bigger errors
> until the hard drive gave in. I never did a Defrag.
>
> jkb

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:07:58 PM

> Imean to say 'safe mode menu' where you have to option to satrt in safe
> mode. normal etc.
> Defragmentation has just completed and surprise it ddi not give the result
> of the scan. Dont we get the details of the scan when we d it in 'safe
mode'?

Defrag isn't a scanner. It just reorganizes your hard drive so that it's all
in proper order. As Gary said - I wouldn't do that until you are sure that
your hard drive isn't about to give in.

> Do you think my hard disk is failing soon?

From my experiences - no.
June 29, 2005 9:01:02 PM

Let me start from the top. When I boot up the pc, it always goes to the
safemode menu. So, I have the hdd scan as a secondary drive on another
computer using NAV and on line scan, both yield negative results.

When I put back the hdd into its original computer, it still give me the
safe mode menu when I power up.

I then choose the 'safe mode' and do the scan disk and it can only scan half
way thru the hdd (as seen by the cluster numbers). So, I stop the scandisk
and start the defragmentation. It completes the defragmentation process
without giving any result (such as bad sectors etc) which you normally
expect at the end of the defragmentation.

All these while, the hdd light is always on from the every first boot up.
Just realised that the pc diid not detect the floppy and cd room.

At this point, When I try to boot up in normal mode, it does that it has
problem in loading the window as as seems to be stuck at the 'window logo'.
However, its able to get to desktop under safe mode. At the moment, I am
doing the scandisk again (safe mode) and its still on progress. Guess, I may
have done things that does not resolve the light on the hdd., thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 9E425BF-4156-4B33-A78E-1087D5F76907@microsoft.com...
> > Using w98se, when I boots up, the pc goes to the startup manual. so I
> > choose
> > safe mode.
>
> So far so good. And then what did you do? Restart in Normal mode?
>
> >and I did a scan and also on-line scan, both give zero infections.
>
> I assume you mean you scanned for viruses. But you didn't do that in
> safe mode. You can't go online in Safe Mode. In any case, the type of
> behavior you describe, if it's due to malicious software, is probably
> not a classic virus. It's more likely one of any number of
> Spyware/Adware, etc.
>
> > Now, when I do a Scandisk, it will scan until half way of the hdd
> > (Maxtor 54k
> > rpm, 20gb) size.
>
> And then what happens? Error message? Or does it simply start the scan
> over again, and again, and again?
>
> >I do not think the hdd light should always be on (light
> > perpetually on). am I correct? Does that means my hdd is just ablout
> > to go?
>
> Not necessarily. It means something is continuosly writeing or reading
> from the HD. Some "legit" programs do that--like FastFind, a file
> indexer that's from MS Office. But many "spybots" also cause the HD to
> run continuously, as they are searching for your personal info,
> passwords, bank accounts, etc.
>
> > Now I am doing the disk defragmentation. and hope it will not freeze
> > half
> > way thru,
>
> I would stop doing that until you determine for sure that teh drive
> itslef is in good shape. If it's not, Defrag can make the situation much
> worse.
>
> > look forward for your comments on my hdd, thanks
>
> Read the two articles listed in my signature. Spend a couple of days
> getting used to the procedures, scanning for other malicious software
> besides viruses, cleaning up your system, etc. DO NOT let scandisk fix
> anything if it finds errors without reporting back here first to make
> sure it's wise to let scandisk "fix" errors. It may fix you, but good,
> instead. DO NOT defrag until you're sure the disk is healthy.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

June 29, 2005 10:17:34 PM

OK, that's a better description than we had. Unfortunately, I'm not
available to comment in detail this evening, and perhaps not for the
rest of the weekend. With any luck, someone else will jump in, or
perhaps I'll find a moment free when my brain isn't as frazzled as it is
now.

Don't despair. Help will be here eventually.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
>> > freeze
>> > half
>> > way thru,
>>
>> I would stop doing that until you determine for sure that teh drive
>> itslef is in good shape. If it's not, Defrag can make the situation
>> much
>> worse.
>>
>> > look forward for your comments on my hdd, thanks
>>
>> Read the two articles listed in my signature. Spend a couple of days
>> getting used to the procedures, scanning for other malicious software
>> besides viruses, cleaning up your system, etc. DO NOT let scandisk
>> fix
>> anything if it finds errors without reporting back here first to make
>> sure it's wise to let scandisk "fix" errors. It may fix you, but
>> good,
>> instead. DO NOT defrag until you're sure the disk is healthy.

June 30, 2005 8:14:01 AM

Just to keep you updated. So, the re-scandisk at last give me a detail report
with about 200k bad sectors. I also managed to sort out the light on hdd
(jumper setting and msconfig).

Howvever, I still not be able to boot up in normal mode. You can see the w98
logo and hang there. If I boot up in safe mode by pressing (F8) (since I have
disable the safe mode menu in msconfig), I am able to go to desktop.

Now, since there are so many bad sectors, some of the system files may be
there, which may explain when I cannot boot up in normal mode. How can I
replace them? Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
> >> indexer that's from MS Office. But many "spybots" also cause the HD
> >> run continuously, as they are searching for your personal info,
> >> passwords, bank accounts, etc.

> >> I would stop doing that until you determine for sure that teh drive
> >> itslef is in good shape. If it's not, Defrag can make the situation
> >> much
> >> worse.

> >> Read the two articles listed in my signature. Spend a couple of days
> >> getting used to the procedures, scanning for other malicious software
> >> besides viruses, cleaning up your system, etc. DO NOT let scandisk
> >> fix
> >> anything if it finds errors without reporting back here first to make
> >> sure it's wise to let scandisk "fix" errors. It may fix you, but
> >> good,
> >> instead. DO NOT defrag until you're sure the disk is healthy.

June 30, 2005 8:09:02 PM

Reading through some of the postings here, I tried to do a "logged boot" and
use the "Bootlog Analyser" , but how can I analyse it when I try to boot in
"Normal mode" when it even dont go past "window logo"?

can someone help please, thanks

"jack" wrote:

> Just to keep you updated. So, the re-scandisk at last give me a detail report
> with about 200k bad sectors. I also managed to sort out the light on hdd
> (jumper setting and msconfig).
>
> Howvever, I still not be able to boot up in normal mode. You can see the w98
> logo and hang there. If I boot up in safe mode by pressing (F8) (since I have
> disable the safe mode menu in msconfig), I am able to go to desktop.
>
> Now, since there are so many bad sectors, some of the system files may be
> there, which may explain when I cannot boot up in normal mode. How can I
> replace them? Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks.
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > OK, that's a better description than we had. Unfortunately, I'm not
> > available to comment in detail this evening, and perhaps not for the
> > rest of the weekend. With any luck, someone else will jump in, or
> > perhaps I'll find a moment free when my brain isn't as frazzled as it is
> > now.
> >
> > Don't despair. Help will be here eventually.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Let me start from the top. When I boot up the pc, it always goes to
> > > the
> > > safemode menu. So, I have the hdd scan as a secondary drive on
> > > another
> > > computer using NAV and on line scan, both yield negative results.
> > >
> > > When I put back the hdd into its original computer, it still give me
> > > the
> > > safe mode menu when I power up.
> > >
> > > I then choose the 'safe mode' and do the scan disk and it can only
> > > scan half
> > > way thru the hdd (as seen by the cluster numbers). So, I stop the
> > > scandisk
> > > and start the defragmentation. It completes the defragmentation
> > > process
> > > without giving any result (such as bad sectors etc) which you
> > > normally
> > > expect at the end of the defragmentation.
> > >
> > > All these while, the hdd light is always on from the every first boot
> > > up.
> > > Just realised that the pc diid not detect the floppy and cd room.
> > >
> > > At this point, When I try to boot up in normal mode, it does that it
> > > has
> > > problem in loading the window as as seems to be stuck at the 'window
> > > logo'.
> > > However, its able to get to desktop under safe mode. At the moment, I
> > > am
> > > doing the scandisk again (safe mode) and its still on progress. Guess,
> > > I may
> > > have done things that does not resolve the light on the hdd., thanks

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:59:06 PM

> Just to keep you updated. So, the re-scandisk at last give me a detail
> report
> with about 200k bad sectors. I also managed to sort out the light on
> hdd
> (jumper setting and msconfig).

Your hard drive is dead. The more you mess with it, the more you'll
lose.

> Howvever, I still not be able to boot up in normal mode. You can see
> the w98
> logo and hang there. If I boot up in safe mode by pressing (F8) (since
> I have
> disable the safe mode menu in msconfig), I am able to go to desktop.

Yes, but I would imagine that some file (or more than one) that is
critcal to Normal Mode, like a driver, happens to have been on one or
more of those bad clusters.

> Now, since there are so many bad sectors, some of the system files may
> be
> there, which may explain when I cannot boot up in normal mode. How can
> replace them? Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks.

You can't. You need to get a new hard drive and reinstall from scratch.
DO NOT use that hard drive anymore. Put a new hard drive in as the
Primary Master drive, then install Windows and additional applications.
Lastly, reattach the old hard drive as as the Primary Slave, or a
Secondary drive, wherever it fits, and without running Scandisk or any
other disk utility, *copy* the files you need from the old drive to the
new one. You can copy the entire contents, it's just a bit more tedious
since you will encounter a handful of files that won't let themselves be
moved--and that will stop the Copy process wherever that occurs, so that
to copy the rest you need to figure out which file can't be copied and
then omit it from the next try.

PLEASE BELIEVE ME! There is nothing you can do for that drive, and the
more you try to fix it, the more data you're likely to destroy. Perhaps
even irreplaceable files. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last night,
but it was an evening just packed with To-Dos.

Good luck,

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> OK, that's a better description than we had. Unfortunately, I'm not
>> available to comment in detail this evening, and perhaps not for the
>> rest of the weekend. With any luck, someone else will jump in, or
>> perhaps I'll find a moment free when my brain isn't as frazzled as it
>> is
>> now.
>>
>> Don't despair. Help will be here eventually.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Let me start from the top. When I boot up the pc, it always goes to
>> > the
>> > safemode menu. So, I have the hdd scan as a secondary drive on
>> > another
>> > computer using NAV and on line scan, both yield negative results.
>> >
>> > When I put back the hdd into its original computer, it still give
>> > me
>> > the
>> > safe mode menu when I power up.
>> >
>> > I then choose the 'safe mode' and do the scan disk and it can only
>> > scan half
>> > way thru the hdd (as seen by the cluster numbers). So, I stop the
>> > scandisk
>> > and start the defragmentation. It completes the defragmentation
>> > process
>> > without giving any result (such as bad sectors etc) which you
>> > normally
>> > expect at the end of the defragmentation.
>> >
>> > All these while, the hdd light is always on from the every first
>> > boot
>> > up.
>> > Just realised that the pc diid not detect the floppy and cd room.
>> >
>> > At this point, When I try to boot up in normal mode, it does that
>> > it
>> > has
>> > problem in loading the window as as seems to be stuck at the
>> > 'window
>> > logo'.
>> > However, its able to get to desktop under safe mode. At the moment,
>> > am
>> > doing the scandisk again (safe mode) and its still on progress.
>> > Guess,
>> > I may
>> > have done things that does not resolve the light on the hdd.,
>> > thanks

June 30, 2005 10:30:01 PM

It's always fortunate that a hard drive gives warning before it goes...my
last hard drive wasn't so considerate >:-O
Seriously though, like Gary and others have said, its time for a new drive
ASAP. When I see a hard drive going, I try to back up my data first before
thoughts of backing up/imaging the whole drive as that is so much more
intensive on the disk than a data backup, and data comes first...the act of
imaging the drive could push it over the edge IMHO.

> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Just to keep you updated. So, the re-scandisk at last give me a detail
>> report
>> with about 200k bad sectors. I also managed to sort out the light on hdd
>> (jumper setting and msconfig).
>
> Your hard drive is dead. The more you mess with it, the more you'll lose.
>
>> Howvever, I still not be able to boot up in normal mode. You can see the
>> w98
>> logo and hang there. If I boot up in safe mode by pressing (F8) (since I
>> have
>> disable the safe mode menu in msconfig), I am able to go to desktop.
>
> Yes, but I would imagine that some file (or more than one) that is critcal
> to Normal Mode, like a driver, happens to have been on one or more of
> those bad clusters.
>
>> Now, since there are so many bad sectors, some of the system files may be
>> there, which may explain when I cannot boot up in normal mode. How can I
>> replace them? Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks.
>
> You can't. You need to get a new hard drive and reinstall from scratch. DO
> NOT use that hard drive anymore. Put a new hard drive in as the Primary
> Master drive, then install Windows and additional applications. Lastly,
> reattach the old hard drive as as the Primary Slave, or a Secondary drive,
> wherever it fits, and without running Scandisk or any other disk utility,
> *copy* the files you need from the old drive to the new one. You can copy
> the entire contents, it's just a bit more tedious since you will encounter
> a handful of files that won't let themselves be moved--and that will stop
> the Copy process wherever that occurs, so that to copy the rest you need
> to figure out which file can't be copied and then omit it from the next
> try.
>
> PLEASE BELIEVE ME! There is nothing you can do for that drive, and the
> more you try to fix it, the more data you're likely to destroy. Perhaps
> even irreplaceable files. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last night,
> but it was an evening just packed with To-Dos.
>
> Good luck,
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>

>> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>>
>>> OK, that's a better description than we had. Unfortunately, I'm not
>>> available to comment in detail this evening, and perhaps not for the
>>> rest of the weekend. With any luck, someone else will jump in, or
>>> perhaps I'll find a moment free when my brain isn't as frazzled as it is
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Don't despair. Help will be here eventually.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

June 30, 2005 10:32:02 PM

Gary,
points noted n will head for the shop.Thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> [...]
> then omit it from the next try.
>
> PLEASE BELIEVE ME! There is nothing you can do for that drive, and the
> more you try to fix it, the more data you're likely to destroy. Perhaps
> even irreplaceable files. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last night,
> but it was an evening just packed with To-Dos.
>
> Good luck,
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> >> OK, that's a better description than we had. Unfortunately, I'm not
> >> available to comment in detail this evening, and perhaps not for the
> >> rest of the weekend. With any luck, someone else will jump in, or
> >> perhaps I'll find a moment free when my brain isn't as frazzled as it
> >> is
> >> now.
> >>
> >> Don't despair. Help will be here eventually.

June 30, 2005 10:33:25 PM

I would add that imaging a drive going bad would not be a good idea if you
had file errors...just *maybe* OK to do an image if SMART Status reported
the drive having problems but no indications of problems when you run
programs...maybe...

"Scott" <stacomaREMOVECAPS@cox.net> wrote in message
> It's always fortunate that a hard drive gives warning before it goes...my
> last hard drive wasn't so considerate >:-O
> Seriously though, like Gary and others have said, its time for a new drive
> ASAP. When I see a hard drive going, I try to back up my data first before
> thoughts of backing up/imaging the whole drive as that is so much more
> intensive on the disk than a data backup, and data comes first...the act
> of imaging the drive could push it over the edge IMHO.

>> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Just to keep you updated. So, the re-scandisk at last give me a detail
>>> report
>>> with about 200k bad sectors. I also managed to sort out the light on hdd
>>> (jumper setting and msconfig).
>>
>> Your hard drive is dead. The more you mess with it, the more you'll lose.
>>
>>> Howvever, I still not be able to boot up in normal mode. You can see the
>>> w98
>>> logo and hang there. If I boot up in safe mode by pressing (F8) (since I
>>> have
>>> disable the safe mode menu in msconfig), I am able to go to desktop.
>>
>> Yes, but I would imagine that some file (or more than one) that is
>> critcal to Normal Mode, like a driver, happens to have been on one or
>> more of those bad clusters.
>>
>>> Now, since there are so many bad sectors, some of the system files may
>>> be
>>> there, which may explain when I cannot boot up in normal mode. How can I
>>> replace them? Any assistance is much appreciated, thanks.
>>
>> You can't. You need to get a new hard drive and reinstall from scratch.
>> DO NOT use that hard drive anymore. Put a new hard drive in as the
>> Primary Master drive, then install Windows and additional applications.
>> Lastly, reattach the old hard drive as as the Primary Slave, or a
>> Secondary drive, wherever it fits, and without running Scandisk or any
>> other disk utility, *copy* the files you need from the old drive to the
>> new one. You can copy the entire contents, it's just a bit more tedious
>> since you will encounter a handful of files that won't let themselves be
>> moved--and that will stop the Copy process wherever that occurs, so that
>> to copy the rest you need to figure out which file can't be copied and
>> then omit it from the next try.
>>
>> PLEASE BELIEVE ME! There is nothing you can do for that drive, and the
>> more you try to fix it, the more data you're likely to destroy. Perhaps
>> even irreplaceable files. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last night,
>> but it was an evening just packed with To-Dos.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:48:13 AM

> Gary,
> points noted n will head for the shop.Thanks
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

can you pick me up one while you are there, i'm a little short
on pesos at the moment.

...Rex..
July 3, 2005 11:07:01 AM

Uisng 256 mb ram and just installed a new hdd. Now looking for drivers. When
I boot up, I cannot find any info about the motherboard. It basically goes to
window and desktop within a flash. Looking at the physical mobo, it only have
"Raffles A P"
It also have some chips with these markings

"VIA VT8233 23A10037" - wich is near the cmos battery

other markings: ITE it8705f 0203-fxs MCQ4a0

On the vga card, it has markings TNT2 pro 32 mb agp
xy 0502
CTN2SD ver2.0

and has the following chips (3) markings : winbond 012SH W986432AH-7

: winbond 0426H
W986432AH-7

: 29EE010
120-4C-NH 9947109-W

at the moment, the display looks terrible at 640 by 480 pixels whic I cannot
change it.
Many thanks and appreciate your time

"Scott" wrote:

> I would add that imaging a drive going bad would not be a good idea if you
> had file errors...just *maybe* OK to do an image if SMART Status reported
> the drive having problems but no indications of problems when you run
> programs...maybe...
>
> "Scott" <stacomaREMOVECAPS@cox.net> wrote in message
> > It's always fortunate that a hard drive gives warning before it goes...my
> > last hard drive wasn't so considerate >:-O
> > Seriously though, like Gary and others have said, its time for a new drive
> > ASAP. When I see a hard drive going, I try to back up my data first before
> > thoughts of backing up/imaging the whole drive as that is so much more
> > intensive on the disk than a data backup, and data comes first...the act
> > of imaging the drive could push it over the edge IMHO.
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Your hard drive is dead. The more you mess with it, the more you'll lose.

> >> Yes, but I would imagine that some file (or more than one) that is
> >> critcal to Normal Mode, like a driver, happens to have been on one or
> >> more of those bad clusters.

> >> You can't. You need to get a new hard drive and reinstall from scratch.
> >> DO NOT use that hard drive anymore. Put a new hard drive in as the
> >> Primary Master drive, then install Windows and additional applications.
> >> Lastly, reattach the old hard drive as as the Primary Slave, or a
> >> Secondary drive, wherever it fits, and without running Scandisk or any
> >> other disk utility, *copy* the files you need from the old drive to the
> >> new one. You can copy the entire contents, it's just a bit more tedious
> >> since you will encounter a handful of files that won't let themselves be
> >> moved--and that will stop the Copy process wherever that occurs, so that
> >> to copy the rest you need to figure out which file can't be copied and
> >> then omit it from the next try.
> >>
> >> PLEASE BELIEVE ME! There is nothing you can do for that drive, and the
> >> more you try to fix it, the more data you're likely to destroy. Perhaps
> >> even irreplaceable files. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last night,
> >> but it was an evening just packed with To-Dos.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary S. Terhune
> >> MS MVP Shell/User
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:07:50 PM

Get Everest at www.lavalys.com/ to show you what your hardware is.

It may not absolutely perfect in its analysis, but will get you close
enough to figure from there.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Uisng 256 mb ram and just installed a new hdd. Now looking for
> drivers. When
> I boot up, I cannot find any info about the motherboard. It basically
> goes to
> window and desktop within a flash. Looking at the physical mobo, it
> only have
> "Raffles A P"
> It also have some chips with these markings
>
> "VIA VT8233 23A10037" - wich is near the cmos battery
>
> other markings: ITE it8705f 0203-fxs MCQ4a0
>
> On the vga card, it has markings TNT2 pro 32 mb agp
> xy 0502
> CTN2SD ver2.0
>
> and has the following chips (3) markings : winbond 012SH
> W986432AH-7
>
> : winbond
> 0426H
> W986432AH-7
>
> : 29EE010
> 120-4C-NH 9947109-W
>
> at the moment, the display looks terrible at 640 by 480 pixels whic I
> cannot
> change it.
> Many thanks and appreciate your time
>

> "Scott" wrote:
>
>> I would add that imaging a drive going bad would not be a good idea
>> if you
>> had file errors...just *maybe* OK to do an image if SMART Status
>> reported
>> the drive having problems but no indications of problems when you run
>> programs...maybe...
>>
>> "Scott" <stacomaREMOVECAPS@cox.net> wrote in message
>> > It's always fortunate that a hard drive gives warning before it
>> > goes...my
>> > last hard drive wasn't so considerate >:-O
>> > Seriously though, like Gary and others have said, its time for a
>> > new drive
>> > ASAP. When I see a hard drive going, I try to back up my data first
>> > before
>> > thoughts of backing up/imaging the whole drive as that is so much
>> > more
>> > intensive on the disk than a data backup, and data comes
>> > first...the act
>> > of imaging the drive could push it over the edge IMHO.
>> >
>> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

July 3, 2005 11:51:01 PM

Run Everest give the following info:-
pci/agp-nvidia riva tnt2
mobo-chipset -north bridge via vt8753a apollo p4x266a
mutimedia - pci/pnp-via ac'97enchanced audio controller

At the moment, Device Manager - give a question mark on pci multimedia audio
device

The display is still terrible and under Display adapter - standard pci
graphic adapter (vga)

just checking am I correct to download the graphicdriver from here:-
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html

and that should solve by display n pci multimedia? Need your guidance, thanks

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Get Everest at www.lavalys.com/ to show you what your hardware is.
>
> It may not absolutely perfect in its analysis, but will get you close
> enough to figure from there.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Uisng 256 mb ram and just installed a new hdd. Now looking for
> > drivers. When
> > I boot up, I cannot find any info about the motherboard. It basically
> > goes to
> > window and desktop within a flash. Looking at the physical mobo, it
> > only have
> > "Raffles A P"
> > It also have some chips with these markings
> >
> > "VIA VT8233 23A10037" - wich is near the cmos battery
> >
> > other markings: ITE it8705f 0203-fxs MCQ4a0
> >
> > On the vga card, it has markings TNT2 pro 32 mb agp
> > xy 0502
> > CTN2SD ver2.0
> >
> > and has the following chips (3) markings : winbond 012SH
> > W986432AH-7
> >
> > : winbond
> > 0426H
> > W986432AH-7
> >
> > : 29EE010
> > 120-4C-NH 9947109-W
> >
> > at the moment, the display looks terrible at 640 by 480 pixels whic I
> > cannot
> > change it.
> > Many thanks and appreciate your time
> >

> > "Scott" wrote:
> >
> >> I would add that imaging a drive going bad would not be a good idea
> >> if you
> >> had file errors...just *maybe* OK to do an image if SMART Status
> >> reported
> >> the drive having problems but no indications of problems when you run
> >> programs...maybe...
> >>
> >> "Scott" <stacomaREMOVECAPS@cox.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:48:26 AM

Quote: "The following products are not supported in the current
ForceWare Release 75 driver. Please continue to use the previous
ForceWare Release 70 drivers available here.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

TNT2 is the first product in the list. Unfortunately, the links seem a
bit hinky. Here, I believe, is teh one you want.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Run Everest give the following info:-
> pci/agp-nvidia riva tnt2
> mobo-chipset -north bridge via vt8753a apollo p4x266a
> mutimedia - pci/pnp-via ac'97enchanced audio controller
>
> At the moment, Device Manager - give a question mark on pci multimedia
> audio
> device
>
> The display is still terrible and under Display adapter - standard pci
> graphic adapter (vga)
>
> just checking am I correct to download the graphicdriver from here:-
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html
>
> and that should solve by display n pci multimedia? Need your guidance,
> thanks
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> Get Everest at www.lavalys.com/ to show you what your hardware is.
>>
>> It may not absolutely perfect in its analysis, but will get you close
>> enough to figure from there.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Uisng 256 mb ram and just installed a new hdd. Now looking for
>> > drivers. When
>> > I boot up, I cannot find any info about the motherboard. It
>> > basically
>> > goes to
>> > window and desktop within a flash. Looking at the physical mobo, it
>> > only have
>> > "Raffles A P"
>> > It also have some chips with these markings
>> >
>> > "VIA VT8233 23A10037" - wich is near the cmos battery
>> >
>> > other markings: ITE it8705f 0203-fxs MCQ4a0
>> >
>> > On the vga card, it has markings TNT2 pro 32 mb agp
>> > xy 0502
>> > CTN2SD ver2.0
>> >
>> > and has the following chips (3) markings : winbond 012SH
>> > W986432AH-7
>> >
>> > :
>> > winbond
>> > 0426H
>> > W986432AH-7
>> >
>> > : 29EE010
>> > 120-4C-NH 9947109-W
>> >
>> > at the moment, the display looks terrible at 640 by 480 pixels whic
>> > cannot
>> > change it.
>> > Many thanks and appreciate your time

July 4, 2005 12:53:03 AM

Managed to sort out the graphic driver. However, for the multimedia devices,
unable to make any headway, please assist. The sound card is on board, many
thanks

"jack" wrote:

> Run Everest give the following info:-
> pci/agp-nvidia riva tnt2
> mobo-chipset -north bridge via vt8753a apollo p4x266a
> mutimedia - pci/pnp-via ac'97enchanced audio controller
>
> At the moment, Device Manager - give a question mark on pci multimedia audio
> device
>
> The display is still terrible and under Display adapter - standard pci
> graphic adapter (vga)
>
> just checking am I correct to download the graphicdriver from here:-
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html
>
> and that should solve by display n pci multimedia? Need your guidance, thanks
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Get Everest at www.lavalys.com/ to show you what your hardware is.
> >
> > It may not absolutely perfect in its analysis, but will get you close
> > enough to figure from there.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Uisng 256 mb ram and just installed a new hdd. Now looking for
> > > drivers. When
> > > I boot up, I cannot find any info about the motherboard. It basically
> > > goes to
> > > window and desktop within a flash. Looking at the physical mobo, it
> > > only have
> > > "Raffles A P"
> > > It also have some chips with these markings
> > >
> > > "VIA VT8233 23A10037" - wich is near the cmos battery
> > >
> > > other markings: ITE it8705f 0203-fxs MCQ4a0
> > >
> > > On the vga card, it has markings TNT2 pro 32 mb agp
> > > xy 0502
> > > CTN2SD ver2.0
> > >
> > > and has the following chips (3) markings : winbond 012SH
> > > W986432AH-7
> > >
> > > : winbond
> > > 0426H
> > > W986432AH-7
> > >
> > > : 29EE010
> > > 120-4C-NH 9947109-W
> > >
> > > at the moment, the display looks terrible at 640 by 480 pixels whic I
> > > cannot
> > > change it.
> > > Many thanks and appreciate your time

July 4, 2005 1:11:02 AM

Just to make sure I give the precise info,
In the device mgr, under Other devices-pci multimedia audio device (a
question mark)

Under sound,video n game controllers - it shows gameport, joystick.
- MPU-410 compatible

while doing an Everest run, under multimedia its shows-
1/ window audio
2/pci/pnp audio-via ac'97 enchanced audio controller

I am having difficulty in getting the driver, please assist, thanks

"jack" wrote:

> Managed to sort out the graphic driver. However, for the multimedia devices,
> unable to make any headway, please assist. The sound card is on board, many
> thanks
>
> "jack" wrote:
>
> > Run Everest give the following info:-
> > pci/agp-nvidia riva tnt2
> > mobo-chipset -north bridge via vt8753a apollo p4x266a
> > mutimedia - pci/pnp-via ac'97enchanced audio controller
> >
> > At the moment, Device Manager - give a question mark on pci multimedia audio
> > device
> >
> > The display is still terrible and under Display adapter - standard pci
> > graphic adapter (vga)
> >
> > just checking am I correct to download the graphicdriver from here:-
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html
> >
> > and that should solve by display n pci multimedia? Need your guidance, thanks
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Get Everest at www.lavalys.com/ to show you what your hardware is.
> > >
> > > It may not absolutely perfect in its analysis, but will get you close
> > > enough to figure from there.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 4, 2005 7:06:01 AM

Gary, many thanks for your help. All ok now as far as the drivers are
conceern. Now I have another problem. Its seems those free anti virus are of
not much use... got an infection...in another posting

!