Freeware vs. Payware

Hi all,
What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms of
features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very good.
I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
aircraft.
Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
Thanks,
Timmy

As is the usual scenario with posts like this one asking for general
opinion, you will get both sides of the coin I'm sure in response and
everyone will be right in some way :)
The bottom line on this is that you will find both good and bad in both
payware and freeware.

I can tell you for certain that from my personal experience, the best way
for you to approach this subject on this group is to perhaps considering
avoiding a request for a general answer and instead pick a specific aircraft
that you're interested in and concentrate on asking about that specific
aircraft.
Chances are, if you use this approach, someone on the group will have had
experience with various developers both free and payware and can then give
you some useful advice instead of just a general opinion that won't
necessarily apply when you narrow yourself down to getting a particular
airplane.
Hope this helps a bit.
Dudley Henriques

"Timmy Ferrell" <tferrell@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
> I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms
> of features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very
> good.
> I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
> pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
> sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
> aircraft.
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
> Thanks,
> Timmy

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Timmy Ferrell wrote:

> Hi all,
> What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
> I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms of
> features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very good.
> I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
> pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
> sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
> aircraft.
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
> Thanks,
> Timmy

I see Dudley already answered and I can add a bit. In my case, for what
I enjoy, I fly many different freeware aircraft, helicopters and fixed
wing. I would waste my money to purchase an aircraft. I don't care to go
through the start sequence, I usually told the maintenance test pilot
student to get the aircraft pre-flighted and started and when it was all
warmed up, I'd be out. Depending on how I felt that day, the aircraft
may or may not have started. But if it didn't start the student then
had to go through the fault to fix sequence.

I say "maintenance test pilot" because it wasn't the high speed Edwards
AFB type test pilot. It was just a unit's maintenance officer test pilot
who would check the aircraft out after fixing. I'm not smart enough to
do the other type. :)

BUT!!!!! If I were flying an aircraft IRL, and I found a payware
aircraft that was realistic from cold start to post flight, I'd buy it
in a second. It's just depends on what you like. And sometimes, I like
to just Quill around.

I'm doing some comparison flights and am WAY behind on getting them on a
web page, but here's the 3 I already have posted. I have some
helicopters in the Q, just not on the web page yet.

http://flightsims.vze.com/virtual/

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

the main advantage of freeware is its free, I always think, I could spend
$20 for 1 airplane but am I going to fly it that often? payware can
sometimes come with a nice panel which is worth a lot to me, and maybe they
actually made a good air model.

"Timmy Ferrell" <tferrell@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
> I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms
> of features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very
> good.
> I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
> pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
> sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
> aircraft.
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
> Thanks,
> Timmy

dallas

"Timmy Ferrell"
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?

Yes.

If they were not significantly better than freeware no one would spend the
money to buy them... and lots of people buy them.

Dallas

To be honest, after flying some very good freeware for a long time , I have
been disappointed in the few payware a/c that I have shelled out for. This
is not necessarily to say that there is a lot wrong with them -- it is just
that I guess I was expecting better than I was used to with the freeware. I
was expecting a sort of quality and experience "leap" over and above that I
had been using -- but sadly, that was not the case. And these were from well
known payware publishers.

Also the truth for me is this -- I have too many good a/c anyway. I can't
possibly find the time to fly the quality freeware that I have now -- I can
see that if I was going to be a student pilot on say a C172, then I would
want as accurate a model of it as I could find. But I am not - so for me the
exact accuracy is not what I am looking for - for me , it is more of a kind
of "magical" quality that makes me think I am flying. So the sound for an
a/c doesn't have to be accurate -- but it does have to sound "good" .

Barry

"Timmy Ferrell" <tferrell@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
> I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms
of
> features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very
good.
> I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
> pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
> sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
> aircraft.
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
> Thanks,
> Timmy

Advantages of payware:

1/ It's reasonable to assume that you will get a better product because you
are paying for the time put in by the developers. Theres no guarantee of
this of course...
2/ Payware usually includes an installer so that you don't have to work out
where to stick all the files.

Advantages of freeware:

1/ Err....its free.

"Timmy Ferrell" <tferrell@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> What are the advantages of Freeware vs. Payware aircraft?
> I know some of the Freeware aircraft out there are somewhat iffy in terms
> of features and physics but there are some out there that are very, very
> good.
> I assume payware aircraft are more accurately modeled. I'm a VFR rated
> pilot (although I am not current) and I am interested in the most accurate
> sim experience possible. I usually fly civilian props and vintage military
> aircraft.
> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
> Thanks,
> Timmy

Dudley:

Can you recommend good T38 and F4 add-ons for FS2004?

TIA

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>"Timmy Ferrell"
>> Do payware aircraft have a significant advantage over freeware?
>
>Yes.
>
>If they were not significantly better than freeware no one would spend the
>money to buy them... and lots of people buy them.
>
>Dallas

But they can also have disadvantages. If you have a slower PC then a
lot of the extra detailing on payware addons may result in low and
unacceptable frame rates.

-=tom=-

T38 from FSD and wait for the new F4 coming from FSCloud9. It'll be worth
it. :)
"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message
> Dudley:
>
> Can you recommend good T38 and F4 add-ons for FS2004?
>
> TIA

dallas

"Dudley Henriques"
> the new F4 coming from FSCloud9. It'll be worth
> it. :)

Keep us posted on the F4, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Phantom.
I use to live on the Air Force Base that was the home of the 49th Tactical
Fighter Wing when they flew Phantoms. I always loved the distinct "woo"
sound they made on final approach.

Dallas

dallas

"Tom Orle"
> But they can also have disadvantages.

Yeah, I was being kinda cutesy. I should have added "well researched"
purchases. I have a couple that were not worth the money.

Dallas

> "Dudley Henriques"
>> the new F4 coming from FSCloud9. It'll be worth
>> it. :)
>
> Keep us posted on the F4, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the
> Phantom.
> I use to live on the Air Force Base that was the home of the 49th Tactical
> Fighter Wing when they flew Phantoms. I always loved the distinct "woo"
> sound they made on final approach.
>

> Dallas

I'll probably be working with them on it, or if not, at least reviewing it
after completion. If you want to take a quick look at the new world of panel
graphics, take a look on the www.fscloud9.com site and go into the preview
forum and find the thread on the new F104 panel. What you will see there on
the 104 could very well be the ultimate in 2D panel graphics for the future.
I haven't seen the VC as yet myself, but it promises to be excellent.
Sangalli and his crew are VERY talented people!!!
I'll keep you posted.
Dudley