Is it worth shifting from W98 to XP?

My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
despite virus/adware/spyware protection. Specs indicate it can handle XP
(512Mb RAM, 1.8 Ghz). Can anyone comment about the value of the change, and
the risks, if any, that it entails?
7 answers Last reply
More about worth shifting

    > My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
    > despite virus/adware/spyware protection. Specs indicate it can handle XP
    > (512Mb RAM, 1.8 Ghz). Can anyone comment about the value of the change,
    and
    > the risks, if any, that it entails?

    I reckon that your computer would take XP pretty well. I don't have it - but
    my brother has XP in a computer that only has 394MB ram and 1.2GHz. XP is a
    lot better than 98 - more reliable, etc. You could just reinstall 98 - but
    if it was my choice I'd go with XP. I think that you will have to first get
    all the data you want to keep onto another hard drive, CD, etc.

    My HO,
    jkb

    Value? Difficult to say. If Windows 98 does what you want, then there's no
    value in switching. If it's something you're doing to the PC that makes
    Windows 98 slow and unstable then XP will definitely not solve that problem
    either.

    "Eric V" <Eric V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
    > despite virus/adware/spyware protection. Specs indicate it can handle XP
    > (512Mb RAM, 1.8 Ghz). Can anyone comment about the value of the change,
    > and
    > the risks, if any, that it entails?

    I agree with ya! Viva la Win98SE!!

    Eric V wrote:
    > My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
    > despite virus/adware/spyware protection.
    If this is the reason for OS change then don't bother.
    It is dependant on amount of "junk" collected and kept.
    As a trial, try to reinstall 98 from zero and add _only_ those programms
    that you use daily. Refreshing!.

    Have fun

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Other than the hidden hardware and software problems, the whole XP install
    thing can bleep. You lose it all.

    Throwing in a new OS to fix what appears to be a use problem is just a
    temporary fix.

    XP is more new user helpful in fixing some problems.

    "Eric V" <Eric V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
    > despite virus/adware/spyware protection. Specs indicate it can handle XP
    > (512Mb RAM, 1.8 Ghz). Can anyone comment about the value of the change,
    and
    > the risks, if any, that it entails?

    > I agree with ya! Viva la Win98SE!!

    Seconded, even though I have xp in dual boot, I
    always find myself in 98 85% of the time.

    ...Rex..

    Hello,

    "Eric V" <Eric V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My desktop, using W98, has become slow/unstable over the last 6 months,
    > despite virus/adware/spyware protection. Specs indicate it can handle XP
    > (512Mb RAM, 1.8 Ghz). Can anyone comment about the value of the change,
    > and
    > the risks, if any, that it entails?

    Did you check what programs run at startup? There may be one which
    slows your system ...

    On the page

    there is a tool called Hijackthis which checks critical parts
    of the registry and reports that settings to you. Maybe you will
    find things you do not expect. ;)

    Two great utilities are also Sysinternals Autoruns v8.0
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

    and Iarsn TaskInfo 6,1
    http://www.iarsn.com/whatsnew.html

    Best regards,