"Open With..." shortcut pops up on my desktop during startup

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 30, 2005 1:07:17 AM

The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop during
startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the name of
the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.

This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft "critical
updates."

Anybody know how to get rid of it?

Phil
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:28:08 AM

The "Open with..." dialog pops up whenever an attempt is made to open a file that
does not have any program associated with it. If this dialog is popping up during
startup, you likely have an item in your startup group that is not pointing to an
associated file.

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

> The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop during
> startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the name of
> the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.
>
> This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft "critical
> updates."
>
> Anybody know how to get rid of it?
>
> Phil

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:48:38 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.

Phil

> The "Open with..." dialog pops up whenever an attempt is made to open a
file that
> does not have any program associated with it. If this dialog is popping
up during
> startup, you likely have an item in your startup group that is not
pointing to an
> associated file.
>
> Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
expand the
> "Software Environment" category.
> In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
in a list
> on the right.
> Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
on the
> right.
> Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
Ctrl-V to
> paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop during
> > startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the name
of
> > the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.
> >
> > This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft "critical
> > updates."
> >
> > Anybody know how to get rid of it?
> >
> > Phil

July 1, 2005 12:30:06 AM

I'll be watching here for you list from msinfo32.
--

news:o hA4StYfFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> Thanks. I'll try that.
>
> Phil

> > The "Open with..." dialog pops up whenever an attempt is made to open a
> file that
> > does not have any program associated with it. If this dialog is popping
> up during
> > startup, you likely have an item in your startup group that is not
> pointing to an
> > associated file.
> >
> > Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> > In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
> expand the
> > "Software Environment" category.
> > In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
> in a list
> > on the right.
> > Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
> on the
> > right.
> > Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
> Ctrl-V to
> > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
> thread.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
> >

> > "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop during
> > > startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the name
> of
> > > the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.
> > >
> > > This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft "critical
> > > updates."
> > >
> > > Anybody know how to get rid of it?
> > >
> > > Phil

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:05:14 AM

Glee...

List is below. Let me know anything you think might be the problem. Also,
let me know if there are programs I could safely do without!

Phil

*****
Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
Dr Watson Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DRWATSON.EXE
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
TrackPointSrv Registry (Machine Run) daemon.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
PRPCMonitor Registry (Machine Run) PRPCUI.exe
ConfigSafe Registry (Machine Run) C:\CFGSAFE\AUTOCHK.EXE
IBMUltraBayHotSwapSound Registry (Machine Run)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAYSN.EXE
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
TpHotkey Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\TPHKMGR.EXE
IBMUltraBayHotSwapCPLLoader Registry (Machine Run)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\IBMBAY2M.EXE
SoundFusion Registry (Machine Run) RunDll32 cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
Ati2cwxx Registry (Machine Run) Ati2cwxx.exe
AtiPTA Registry (Machine Run) Atiptaxx.exe
MCAgentExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
VirusScan Online Registry (Machine Run)
"C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
MPTBox Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\CANON\MULTIP~1\MPTBOX.EXE
InstantAccess Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\INSTAN~1.EXE /h
RegisterDropHandler Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
MP_STATUS_MONITOR Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program
Files\Canon\MultiPASS\monitr32.exe" I
PDirect Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\THINKPAD\UTILIT~1\PDirect.exe
VSOCheckTask Registry (Machine Run)
"C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
QuickTime Task Registry (Machine Run)
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
Zone Labs Client Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
IrMon Registry (Machine Run) IrMon.exe
HP CD-Writer Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\HP
CD-Writer\Mmenu\hpcdtray.exe
Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run)
C:\PROGRA~1\HPCD-W~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
mgavrtclexe Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\MCBin\AV\Rt\mgavrte.exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
ATIPOLAB Registry (Machine Service) ati2plxx.exe
IBMPMSVC Registry (Machine Service) IBMPMSVC.EXE -HELPER
TrueVector Registry (Machine Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
MiniLog Registry (Machine Service)
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
RegisterDropHandler Registry (Machine Service)
C:\PROGRA~1\CANONC~1\TEXTBR~1\BIN\REGIST~1.EXE
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
McVsRte Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe
/embedding
KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

*****

> The "Open with..." dialog pops up whenever an attempt is made to open a
file that
> does not have any program associated with it. If this dialog is popping
up during
> startup, you likely have an item in your startup group that is not
pointing to an
> associated file.
>
> Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
> In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
expand the
> "Software Environment" category.
> In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
in a list
> on the right.
> Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
on the
> right.
> Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
> Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
Ctrl-V to
> paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
thread.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>

> "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop during
> > startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the name
of
> > the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.
> >
> > This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft "critical
> > updates."
> >
> > Anybody know how to get rid of it?
> >
> > Phil

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 6:45:51 AM

| SoundFusion Registry (Machine Run) RunDll32
cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd

That one looks like a possibility. Can you...?...

(a) START button, Run, RegEdit
(b) Navigate to "machine run", which is...

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

...., by clicking plus signs beginning left of "HKLM", & ending left of
"CurrentVersion". Finally, click "Run" itself in the left pane.

(c) R-Clk "SoundFusion" on the R-pane, & select "Modify".
(d) Add ".exe" to "RunDll32"...

RunDll32.exe cwcprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd

(e) Exit RegEdit.

Did the problem go away at reboot?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q137367
Startup Items
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179365/ Startup Group
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/startup.htm
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...
http://www.djbdesigns.com/wtvzone/startup.html
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html
http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/start.htm
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net

| Glee...
|
| List is below. Let me know anything you think might be the problem.
Also,
> [...]

| > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and
press
| Ctrl-V to
| > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to
this
| thread.
| > --
| > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
| >

| > "Phil James" <james.phil@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
| > >
| > > The program whose header reads "Open With" pops up on my desktop
during
| > > startup. I delete it and it keeps coming back. I don't know the
name
| of
| > > the program, so I can't find it to "kill" it on startup.
| > >
| > > This began shortly after I had downloaded several Microsoft

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:24:22 AM

Phil,
Please post back with the entire exact text in the "Open with" message you receive.
--

!