first 2 items in load startup I clicked n and n and y to all the long
list of the rest.

thanks

inventor84 at att.net

http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

Each check box (except the Load Startup Group Items check box)
represents files that are renamed with a troubleshoot (.tsh) file
extension when you click to clear the check box. The Load Startup Group
Items check box represents icons in the Startup folder or entries in
the following registry keys:

-and-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
When you click to clear the Load Startup Group Items check box, the
registry entries are written in the following keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

-and-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
-and-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

Vacation pictures here
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
8 answers Last reply
More about rest

    Update ----------- its in step-by-step

    It was not the first 2 as I just went through it again after I did a
    scanreg .fix this let me log on the web before I could not log on. So
    making progess still none of the tool bar icons loaded ie mouse
    perwonal web perver zone alarm etc - least I fixed the registry, any
    suggestions?

    thanks

    inventor wrote:
    > load start up items first 2 need fix
    >
    > win98 I selected N on the first 2 and y on all the rest and my computer
    > booted up now how do I fix this?
    >
    > Below is not the exact list I don't think but this is what I need to
    > fix.
    >
    > Problem started with lots of illegal errors in ie 5.5 I did a ad ware
    > and got double click 40 of them deleted them did a reg clean and got a
    > few more suspicious deleted these - still can not defrag as program is
    > accessing hard drive - so I caught some ad ware or something too.
    >
    > 1st thing I want is to be able to boot to win98 so how can I fix the
    > first 2 items in load startup I clicked n and n and y to all the long
    > list of the rest.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > inventor84 at att.net
    >
    > http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/
    >

    > Each check box (except the Load Startup Group Items check box)
    > represents files that are renamed with a troubleshoot (.tsh) file
    > extension when you click to clear the check box. The Load Startup Group
    > Items check box represents icons in the Startup folder or entries in
    > the following registry keys:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > -and-
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > When you click to clear the Load Startup Group Items check box, the
    > registry entries are written in the following keys:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    >
    > -and-
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices-
    > -and-
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    >
    > Vacation pictures here
    > http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

    I did the step by step again and said Y to everything yet still not
    booting up with everything loaded I'm missing personal web server mouse
    the speaker icon all the icons in the right of the tool bar by the
    clock - any suggestions?

    thanks

    Fixed --------- by check load all in msconfig

    Still can not do a defrag as something is accessing my hard drive ?

    But got all my tool bar icons back so back in business far as using
    win98 goes

    WOW

    Very good. Certain items, such as your virus scanner & Task Scheduler,
    should always be turned off before doing a Scandisk (Thorough, usually
    w/o write testing) & Defrag. And it's really best to turn them all
    off...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either. (When
    running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You must
    "Scandisk /Checkonly", instead. It will write to the same .log. The
    Auto-Scandisk that runs from DOS after a crash must be set to "Prompt"
    the bad ones in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini.) REALLY, in light of
    all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full system backup to run
    to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the Microsoft Windows Critical Update Notification tool was
    accessing my HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control
    Panel, Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update"
    on your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "inventor" <inventor84@att.net> wrote in message
    | Fixed --------- by check load all in msconfig
    |
    | Still can not do a defrag as something is accessing my hard drive ?
    |
    | But got all my tool bar icons back so back in business far as using
    | win98 goes
    |
    | WOW

    doubleclick ------- Please search your registry and let me know if it's
    there.

    thanks

    PS if it there are you going to leave it there ?

    The word "doubleclick" appears in my Registry six times, but all of it
    is related to a mouse setting. Yea, I'll keep those. Try one of the
    Spyware apps, if you think yours is something else.

    Looks like I do have one default@doubleclick[1].txt in
    C:\Windows\Cookies. Fine, I've deleted it now.

    --
    | doubleclick ------- Please search your registry and let me know if
    it's
    | there.
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | PS if it there are you going to leave it there ?

    id
    80000059803b243
    doubleclick.net/
    0
    2362403968
    29940142
    3339264960
    29719865
    *
    invent@doubleclick ----- I found a cookie too

    I though the double click in my registry were spyware doubleclick

    I must of deleted my mouse doubleclick with the spyware

    Well all is almost fixed

    I did a add rem programs and fixed ie 5.5

    But can not defrag as drive out of memory now

    32,768 bytes in each allocation unit

    1,830,726 total allocation units on disk

    1,014,582 available allocation units on disk

    647,168 total bytes memory
    611,040 bytes free

    Is this ok from chkdsk

    thanks

    If you used SpyBot or AdAware, likely they left your mouse/Windows
    settings alone. One of the articles at...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag
    ....addresses the issue of "out of memory"...
    "Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free Memory to Defrag the Drive"
    Error Message
    .......Quote.............
    CAUSE
    This problem may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
    ....Snip of one you don't seem to meet...
    -or-
    • You are running Windows on a very large hard disk that has a default
    Windows cluster size of 32 KB.
    .......EOQ................

    However, the dumb article doesn't say how large "a very large hard disk"
    is.

    Have you done a Scandisk(Thorough, usually w/o write testing) before
    trying the Defrag? Maybe that will help.

    --
    | id
    | 80000059803b243
    | doubleclick.net/
    | 0
    | 2362403968
    | 29940142
    | 3339264960
    | 29719865
    | *
    | invent@doubleclick ----- I found a cookie too
    |
    | I though the double click in my registry were spyware doubleclick
    |
    | I must of deleted my mouse doubleclick with the spyware
    |
    | Well all is almost fixed
    |
    | I did a add rem programs and fixed ie 5.5
    |
    | But can not defrag as drive out of memory now
    |
    | 32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
    |
    | 1,830,726 total allocation units on disk
    |
    | 1,014,582 available allocation units on disk
    |
    | 647,168 total bytes memory
    | 611,040 bytes free
    |
    | Is this ok from chkdsk
    |
    | thanks