$1000 budget, give or take a couple hundred

dengis

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first computer and have a budget of about $1,000 give or take a couple hundred. The comp will be a gift to my wife who has wanted to play networked games with me but couldn't for lack of a second comp. I'm starting from scratch, as my current computer will still be used for WOW and home office work (it's a Dell).

The new comp will be used to play WOW with my wife, Oblivion, and hopefully have enough juice to play the latest games for the next couple of years at moderately high settings. This computer will only be used for games -- it has no other reason to exist.

I'll need to buy a monitor (and am happy with larger cheaper CRTs), speakers (am happy with 2.1 sound as I'm not really excited about cluttering my office with extra wires and speakers for 5.1+).

So does anyone have any builds that would fit this description and hit this budget?

Another question -- will I be able to install the same version of Windows XP that I have on my old computer to the new one and not have issues with them talking to each other via an ethernet connection?

Thanks for the suggestions.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
A wife that games with you, where do I find a girl like that?

LCD's are so inexpensive nowadays that a 17" can be had for less then $200, so you can get one of those.

About the Windows thing, I don't know if the Dell has a full version that you can install elsewhere, or if they gave you a stupid restore disk. It won't have a problem communiticating on the network. However to be right and legal here, I reccomend you use only a proper, legal copy for each computer.

My advice is, go on Newegg, pick out stuff you like, post that stuff here, and we will review it and make reccomendations.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first computer and have a budget of about $1,000 give or take a couple hundred. The comp will be a gift to my wife who has wanted to play networked games with me but couldn't for lack of a second comp. I'm starting from scratch, as my current computer will still be used for WOW and home office work (it's a Dell).

The new comp will be used to play WOW with my wife, Oblivion, and hopefully have enough juice to play the latest games for the next couple of years at moderately high settings. This computer will only be used for games -- it has no other reason to exist.

I'll need to buy a monitor (and am happy with larger cheaper CRTs), speakers (am happy with 2.1 sound as I'm not really excited about cluttering my office with extra wires and speakers for 5.1+).

So does anyone have any builds that would fit this description and hit this budget?

Another question -- will I be able to install the same version of Windows XP that I have on my old computer to the new one and not have issues with them talking to each other via an ethernet connection?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Look at my post about best bang for buck rig :D

DDay629

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first computer and have a budget of about $1,000 give or take a couple hundred.

I hope its a few hundred more, because with that few hundred, you can make your computer from pretty good, to REALLY good.

DDay

"Another question -- will I be able to install the same version of Windows XP that I have on my old computer to the new one and not have issues with them talking to each other via an ethernet connection? "

Aside from the "Legalities" of having the same licensed version of XP on more than one comp at one time ........

yes.

Find an A64/ 3500+ cpu, a $85 NF4 board (integrated sound, LAN), and a 7600GT...add 1 ea 1gb stick of Corsair Value PC3200 (you can ad a 2nd stick later), and a $59 hard drive from CompUSA (you can occasionally find 200-250GB units at that cost after rebates!); add a $29 DVD ROM, a case with a 400-450 watt PS, ......

Connect to a 19" LCD from Dell or Viewsonic or Samsung, (Dells are frequently on sale for as little as $285 or less)

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well they are right, it certainly is possible but the problem is windows. I think you are best off neweggin a home version. Dell is gay and will only give you a restore disk like all of the gay ass manufacturers. I would spend a couple hundred more if you want it to be "good for the next couple of years".

PCJosh

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I like the idea of Viewsonic or Samsung monitor, whether it's Flat Panel or CRT. - $180-275ish budget

Case - Antec NSK-4400 w/380 Watt Power Supply ~$90 Newegg
Proc - 3700+ ~ $235 Newegg or 3800+ ~ $300 Newegg
Motherboard - EpoX 9NPA3Ultra $90 Newegg
Video Card - eVGA 7600GT 256mb ~ $185 Newegg
Speakers - Logitech X-230 ~ $45 Newegg
DVD-RW - Sony 16X DVD-RW ~ $40 Newegg
RAM - 2GB G.Skill PC4000 ~ $170 Newegg
Hard Drive - Hitachi T7K250 250GB ~ $100 Newegg

That's a good overclocker, will be able to push proc to 2.75GHz with the 3700+ on stock air if you're not unlucky with the stepping. The system is just over a 1100 with a 17 inch solution and the 3700+, around $1300 with the 19 inch and 3800+ option. I have the same system only with a 6800GS and I love it. Upgrading to the video card in a few days.

As for the operating system, you can budget in about 95 bucks for XP Home OEM from a pricewatch vendor. Technically, you're not supposed to use an OEM system builder's Windows Installation on another PC. Ethically I think it's fine, but lawfully I think it's wrong even if it's wiped from from the other computer.