setup problems

I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.

I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
Panel --->network----->Add

and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
manufacturer etc.

The second (maybe related problem) is if

I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up

The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which says
"Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then the
Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
installed components as zero Mb.
6 answers Last reply
More about setup problems

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240348&Product=w98
    All Installed Programs May Not Be Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs
    Tool
    ........Quote.............
    ....snip...
    IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the
    registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and
    make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
    occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the
    registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
    ....snip...

    SYMPTOMS
    You may notice that all of the programs that are installed on your
    computer may not be displayed in the Add/Remove Programs tool.

    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs if a program's DisplayName or uninstall key name is
    longer than 63 characters.

    RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
    using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    To resolve this issue:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    3. Click the folder of the program that has more than 63 characters in
    the title, right-click DisplayName, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type a name with less than 63 characters, and
    then click OK.
    5. If the program's uninstall key name is longer than 63 characters,
    shorten it also. For example, the following key name is too long:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
    6. Quit Registry Editor.
    .........EOQ.............

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    | I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
    |
    | I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
    | Panel --->network----->Add
    |
    | and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either
    :
    | i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
    | ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries
    for
    | manufacturer etc.
    |

    | The second (maybe related problem) is if
    |
    | I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
    |
    | The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which
    says
    | "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and
    then the
    | Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space
    used by
    | installed components as zero Mb.

    Try extracting fresh copies of the following files from your Windows 98
    CD to the "c:\windows\inf" folder.

    applets.inf
    applets1.inf
    appletpp.inf
    net.inf
    netcli.inf
    netinfo.inf
    netpci.inf
    netppp.inf

    Ben

    "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:da0cbt$mh6$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
    >
    > I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
    > Panel --->network----->Add
    >
    > and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
    > i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
    > ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
    > manufacturer etc.
    >

    > The second (maybe related problem) is if
    >
    > I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
    >
    > The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which says
    > "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then the
    > Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
    > installed components as zero Mb.

    Ben
    Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.

    I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
    windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up boxes.

    Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
    files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.

    I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on a
    machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

    David

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
    Try extracting fresh copies of the following files from your Windows 98
    CD to the "c:\windows\inf" folder.

    applets.inf
    applets1.inf
    appletpp.inf
    net.inf
    netcli.inf
    netinfo.inf
    netpci.inf
    netppp.inf

    Ben

    "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
    >
    > I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
    > Panel --->network----->Add
    >
    > and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
    > i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
    > ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
    > manufacturer etc.
    >

    > The second (maybe related problem) is if
    >
    > I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
    >
    > The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which
    > says
    > "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then
    > the
    > Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
    > installed components as zero Mb.

    OK,

    I've now copied those files onto the malfunctioning machine, and things have
    got a little better.

    I now see a full list in the setup box for windows components, and see the
    usual entries in the "add network" components dialog boxes.

    The reason I started on this whole problem was that I was trying to install
    an ADSL modem, and kept coming across error messages. I now find the
    installation procedure progresses further, and starts to build the driver
    information database (beforehand, it always stopped with an error prior to
    this). However I now get a message that ndiswan.cat cannot be found, even
    though I have the win98 setup disk in the CD drive. I know that this file
    is in the catalog3.cab file on the disk, but the fact that the ADSL setup
    can't find it itself worries me!

    --
    blank
    > Ben
    > Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.
    >
    > I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
    > windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up
    > boxes.
    >
    > Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
    > files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.
    >
    > I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on
    > a machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

    Extract a fresh copy of the "ndiswan.cat" file to the
    "c:\windows\inf\catalog" folder, then click "Start", "Run",
    type the following into the "Open" box and click "OK".
    Then try the installation again.

    sucatreg /I c:\windows\inf\ndiswan.inf

    Ben

    "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:daduoh$4vu$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > OK,
    >
    > I've now copied those files onto the malfunctioning machine, and things have
    > got a little better.
    >
    > I now see a full list in the setup box for windows components, and see the
    > usual entries in the "add network" components dialog boxes.
    >
    > The reason I started on this whole problem was that I was trying to install
    > an ADSL modem, and kept coming across error messages. I now find the
    > installation procedure progresses further, and starts to build the driver
    > information database (beforehand, it always stopped with an error prior to
    > this). However I now get a message that ndiswan.cat cannot be found, even
    > though I have the win98 setup disk in the CD drive. I know that this file
    > is in the catalog3.cab file on the disk, but the fact that the ADSL setup
    > can't find it itself worries me!
    >

    > --
    > blank
    > "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Ben
    > > Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.
    > >
    > > I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
    > > windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up
    > > boxes.
    > >
    > > Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
    > > files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.
    > >
    > > I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on
    > > a machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

    Ben
    thanks for all your help, I did as you suggested, and the modem appeared to
    install OK. However a quick look at the installed network components showed
    that no TCPIP or other components had been installed . There were still
    other problems with the machine anyway, I could not for instance create a
    start-up floppy disk.

    I then decided that everything was so screwed up my only option was to
    install windows over the top of the existing installation.

    Have done this and things seem a lot better.

    Thanks again for all your suggestions,

    Extract a fresh copy of the "ndiswan.cat" file to the
    "c:\windows\inf\catalog" folder, then click "Start", "Run",
    type the following into the "Open" box and click "OK".
    Then try the installation again.

    sucatreg /I c:\windows\inf\ndiswan.inf

    Ben

    "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > OK,
    >
    > I've now copied those files onto the malfunctioning machine, and things
    > have
    > got a little better.
    >
    > I now see a full list in the setup box for windows components, and see the
    > usual entries in the "add network" components dialog boxes.
    >
    > The reason I started on this whole problem was that I was trying to
    > install
    > an ADSL modem, and kept coming across error messages. I now find the
    > installation procedure progresses further, and starts to build the driver
    > information database (beforehand, it always stopped with an error prior to
    > this). However I now get a message that ndiswan.cat cannot be found, even
    > though I have the win98 setup disk in the CD drive. I know that this file
    > is in the catalog3.cab file on the disk, but the fact that the ADSL setup
    > can't find it itself worries me!
    >

    > --
    > blank
    > "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Ben
    > > Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.
    > >
    > > I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
    > > windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up
    > > boxes.
    > >
    > > Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
    > > files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.
    > >
    > > I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf
    > > on
    > > a machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

Windows