setup problems

I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.

I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
Panel --->network----->Add

and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
manufacturer etc.

The second (maybe related problem) is if

I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up

The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which says
"Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then the
Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
installed components as zero Mb.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240348&Product=w98
All Installed Programs May Not Be Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs
Tool
........Quote.............
....snip...
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the
registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and
make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the
registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
....snip...

SYMPTOMS
You may notice that all of the programs that are installed on your
computer may not be displayed in the Add/Remove Programs tool.

CAUSE
This behavior occurs if a program's DisplayName or uninstall key name is
longer than 63 characters.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this issue:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Click the folder of the program that has more than 63 characters in
the title, right-click DisplayName, and then click Modify.
4. In the Value data box, type a name with less than 63 characters, and
then click OK.
5. If the program's uninstall key name is longer than 63 characters,
shorten it also. For example, the following key name is too long:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
6. Quit Registry Editor.
.........EOQ.............

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
|
| I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
| Panel --->network----->Add
|
| and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either
:
| i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
| ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries
for
| manufacturer etc.
|

| The second (maybe related problem) is if
|
| I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
|
| The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which
says
| "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and
then the
| Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space
used by
| installed components as zero Mb.

Try extracting fresh copies of the following files from your Windows 98
CD to the "c:\windows\inf" folder.

applets.inf
applets1.inf
appletpp.inf
net.inf
netcli.inf
netinfo.inf
netpci.inf
netppp.inf

Ben

"David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:da0cbt$mh6$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
>
> I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
> Panel --->network----->Add
>
> and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
> i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
> ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
> manufacturer etc.
>

> The second (maybe related problem) is if
>
> I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
>
> The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which says
> "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then the
> Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
> installed components as zero Mb.

Ben
Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.

I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up boxes.

Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.

I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on a
machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

David

"Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
Try extracting fresh copies of the following files from your Windows 98
CD to the "c:\windows\inf" folder.

applets.inf
applets1.inf
appletpp.inf
net.inf
netcli.inf
netinfo.inf
netpci.inf
netppp.inf

Ben

"David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm having two problems with Win 98SE which may or may not be related.
>
> I am trying to add network support. However when I go Control
> Panel --->network----->Add
>
> and then click either Client or Adapter or Protocol or Service either :
> i) nothing happens (ie do dialog box appears); or
> ii) a Dialog box appears and it is completely empty, with no entries for
> manufacturer etc.
>

> The second (maybe related problem) is if
>
> I go Control Panel ---> Add/Remove Programs --->Windows Set-up
>
> The dialogue box briefly (too briefly to actually read) appears which
> says
> "Please wait while Windows searches for installed components", and then
> the
> Components box appears and it is completely empty, and shows Space used by
> installed components as zero Mb.

OK,

I've now copied those files onto the malfunctioning machine, and things have
got a little better.

I now see a full list in the setup box for windows components, and see the
usual entries in the "add network" components dialog boxes.

The reason I started on this whole problem was that I was trying to install
an ADSL modem, and kept coming across error messages. I now find the
installation procedure progresses further, and starts to build the driver
information database (beforehand, it always stopped with an error prior to
this). However I now get a message that ndiswan.cat cannot be found, even
though I have the win98 setup disk in the CD drive. I know that this file
is in the catalog3.cab file on the disk, but the fact that the ADSL setup
can't find it itself worries me!

--
blank
> Ben
> Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.
>
> I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
> windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up
> boxes.
>
> Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
> files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.
>
> I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on
> a machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

Extract a fresh copy of the "ndiswan.cat" file to the
"c:\windows\inf\catalog" folder, then click "Start", "Run",
type the following into the "Open" box and click "OK".
Then try the installation again.

sucatreg /I c:\windows\inf\ndiswan.inf

Ben

"David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:daduoh$4vu$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> OK,
>
> I've now copied those files onto the malfunctioning machine, and things have
> got a little better.
>
> I now see a full list in the setup box for windows components, and see the
> usual entries in the "add network" components dialog boxes.
>
> The reason I started on this whole problem was that I was trying to install
> an ADSL modem, and kept coming across error messages. I now find the
> installation procedure progresses further, and starts to build the driver
> information database (beforehand, it always stopped with an error prior to
> this). However I now get a message that ndiswan.cat cannot be found, even
> though I have the win98 setup disk in the CD drive. I know that this file
> is in the catalog3.cab file on the disk, but the fact that the ADSL setup
> can't find it itself worries me!
>

> --
> blank
> "David Groom" <david@dmgroom.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Ben
> > Thanks for the suggestion, I think you have set me on the right track.
> >
> > I did as you suggested, and I got five entries appearing back into the
> > windows components list, and a few more entries in the network set up
> > boxes.
> >
> > Prior to extracting the files you suggested there were in fact no "inf
> > files" at all in the c:\windows\inf directory.
> >
> > I'm now going to try copying all the ".inf files" from c:\windows\inf on
> > a machine that does work, into the machine which has the problem.

Ben
thanks for all your help, I did as you suggested, and the modem appeared to
install OK. However a quick look at the installed network components showed
that no TCPIP or other components had been installed . There were still
other problems with the machine anyway, I could not for instance create a
start-up floppy disk.

I then decided that everything was so screwed up my only option was to
install windows over the top of the existing installation.

Have done this and things seem a lot better.

Thanks again for all your suggestions,