msconfig-startup- have load=

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

In my msconfig, config tag - have these entries
device=c:\windows\himem,sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
these 2 entires are check.
autoexec.bat tag -empty
system.ini and win.ini - both have their usual tons of entries.
startup tag - besides the usual like scanRegistry, Task monitor...
I have
load = c:\TNT2X\vi_gm.exe which is check.

Never come across with this kind of entry in msconfig, what does it mean and
can I uncheck this box? Thanks

"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In my msconfig, config tag - have these entries
> device=c:\windows\himem,sys
> device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
> these 2 entires are check.
> autoexec.bat tag -empty
> system.ini and win.ini - both have their usual tons of entries.
> startup tag - besides the usual like scanRegistry, Task monitor...
> I have
> load = c:\TNT2X\vi_gm.exe which is check.
>
> Never come across with this kind of entry in msconfig, what does it mean
and
> can I uncheck this box? Thanks

It may be a menu for video-related things for your video card. Diamond and
ATI have similar. If so, unchecking/disabling this should not affect the
video driver itself.

Just wondering why your PC needs EMS set for upper memory. No specific
msdos driver was noted using that address area.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

On the EMS, no idea as it was like that when I first lay my hand on this pc.
Will uncheck the load= later.

May be I spoke to soon earlier, regarding the safe mode menu. Realised that
after I disable the safe mode menu in the msconfig/advance, the pc continue
to show up the safe-mode menu upon boot up. When I choose 'normal', it just
got hang there. Any idea what I can do next? Thanks

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In my msconfig, config tag - have these entries
> > device=c:\windows\himem,sys
> > device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
> > these 2 entires are check.
> > autoexec.bat tag -empty
> > system.ini and win.ini - both have their usual tons of entries.
> > startup tag - besides the usual like scanRegistry, Task monitor...
> > I have
> > load = c:\TNT2X\vi_gm.exe which is check.
> >
> > Never come across with this kind of entry in msconfig, what does it mean
> and
> > can I uncheck this box? Thanks
>
> It may be a menu for video-related things for your video card. Diamond and
> ATI have similar. If so, unchecking/disabling this should not affect the
> video driver itself.
>
> Just wondering why your PC needs EMS set for upper memory. No specific
> msdos driver was noted using that address area.

Disable all in msconfig except the power option, should be two of them,
explorer, and systray. If this works, then, one by one, enable an item in
msconfig and reboot. The last you enable before safe mode is forced is the
problem.

Could be a bug, a hijacker, a virus, a badly written or corrupted system
file, a registry entry, or an errant hardware driver gone awry. So the
above may not work.
> On the EMS, no idea as it was like that when I first lay my hand on this
pc.
> Will uncheck the load= later.
>
> May be I spoke to soon earlier, regarding the safe mode menu. Realised
that
> after I disable the safe mode menu in the msconfig/advance, the pc
continue
> to show up the safe-mode menu upon boot up. When I choose 'normal', it
just
> got hang there. Any idea what I can do next? Thanks
>
> "Lil' Dave" wrote:
>
> > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > In my msconfig, config tag - have these entries
> > > device=c:\windows\himem,sys
> > > device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
> > > these 2 entires are check.
> > > autoexec.bat tag -empty
> > > system.ini and win.ini - both have their usual tons of entries.
> > > startup tag - besides the usual like scanRegistry, Task monitor...
> > > I have
> > > load = c:\TNT2X\vi_gm.exe which is check.
> > >
> > > Never come across with this kind of entry in msconfig, what does it
mean
> > and
> > > can I uncheck this box? Thanks
> >
> > It may be a menu for video-related things for your video card. Diamond
and
> > ATI have similar. If so, unchecking/disabling this should not affect
the
> > video driver itself.
> >
> > Just wondering why your PC needs EMS set for upper memory. No specific
> > msdos driver was noted using that address area.

Start the computer in "Command Prompt", type "dir /a c:\winboot.ini"
and press "Enter". If the file exists, carefully type
"deltree c:\winboot.ini", press "Enter", then confirm the deletion. Then
restart normally.

Ben