Download Duplication

I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
(from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
get written to my C drive?

Thanks,
June
4 answers Last reply
More about download duplication

    "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote in message

    > I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
    > (from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
    > the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
    > 400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
    > temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
    > remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
    > Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
    > get written to my C drive?

    Two other alternatives . . .
    1. Maintain the Windows swap file on D: instead of
    C: -- done via
    / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual Memory

    2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
    This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
    at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move Folder

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Thanks for the input. I will give the swap file a try first.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is
    partitioned
    > > (from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download
    > > the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for
    example
    > > 400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
    > > temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
    > > remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a
    problem.
    > > Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does
    not
    > > get written to my C drive?
    >
    > Two other alternatives . . .
    > 1. Maintain the Windows swap file on D: instead of
    > C: -- done via
    > / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual Memory
    >
    > 2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
    > This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
    > at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move
    Folder

    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    Recommend you do both. You can also move TEMP files to D:\, using the
    following lines in your Autoexec.bat:

    SET TEMP=D:\TEMP
    SET TMP=%TEMP%

    D:\TEMP must already exist. Unlike the default TEMP folder in the
    Windows directory, the new one won't get recreated automatically at
    startup if it's not present.

    See, too, the "Clean Boot" article in my sig.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Don Phillipson wrote:

    > "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
    >>(from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
    >>the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
    >>400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
    >>temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
    >>remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
    >>Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
    >>get written to my C drive?
    >

    > Two other alternatives . . .

    <snip>

    > 2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
    > This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
    > at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move Folder

    I suggest that at the same place also seriously reduce the amount of
    disk space allowed for the TIF to perhaps 20 or 25 MB instead of the
    probably several hundred MegaBytes it is set to now.

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Download Partition Windows