Download Duplication

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 30, 2005 2:23:56 PM

I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
(from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
get written to my C drive?

Thanks,
June

More about : download duplication

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:41:03 PM

"june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote in message

> I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
> (from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
> the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
> 400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
> temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
> remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
> Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
> get written to my C drive?

Two other alternatives . . .
1. Maintain the Windows swap file on D: instead of
C: -- done via
/ Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual Memory

2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move Folder

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Thanks for the input. I will give the swap file a try first.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
> "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote in message
>
> > I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is
partitioned
> > (from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download
> > the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for
example
> > 400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
> > temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
> > remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a
problem.
> > Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does
not
> > get written to my C drive?
>
> Two other alternatives . . .
> 1. Maintain the Windows swap file on D: instead of
> C: -- done via
> / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual Memory
>
> 2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
> This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
> at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move
Folder

> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

July 2, 2005 11:35:44 PM

Recommend you do both. You can also move TEMP files to D:\, using the
following lines in your Autoexec.bat:

SET TEMP=D:\TEMP
SET TMP=%TEMP%

D:\TEMP must already exist. Unlike the default TEMP folder in the
Windows directory, the new one won't get recreated automatically at
startup if it's not present.

See, too, the "Clean Boot" article in my sig.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Thanks for the input. I will give the swap file a try first.
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
>> "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is
> partitioned
>> > (from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I
>> > download
>> > the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for
> example
>> > 400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in
>> > the
>> > temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free
>> > space
>> > remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a
> problem.
>> > Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file
>> > does
> not
>> > get written to my C drive?
>>
>> Two other alternatives . . .
>> 1. Maintain the Windows swap file on D: instead of
>> C: -- done via
>> / Settings / Control Panel / System / Performance / Virtual Memory
>>
>> 2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
>> This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
>> at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move
> Folder
>>
>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:08:07 PM

Don Phillipson wrote:

> "june1256" <june1256@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I am still running Windows 98 (first edition) My 16 gig hd is partitioned
>>(from the factory) in two sections - 2 gig and 14 gig. When I download to
>>the secondary partition ( D drive / 14 gig) any sizeable file, for example
>>400 mb, there is always a duplicate file written to my C drive in the
>>temporary internet files folder. As I do not have but 450 mb free space
>>remaining on my C drive partition, this is beginning to present a problem.
>>Is there any way that when I download to D drive a duplicate file does not
>>get written to my C drive?
>

> Two other alternatives . . .

<snip>

> 2. Keep Temp. Internet Files on D: instead of C:
> This is a setting in your internet Browser: if IE,
> at / Tools / Internet Options / General Maintenance / Settings / Move Folder

I suggest that at the same place also seriously reduce the amount of
disk space allowed for the TIF to perhaps 20 or 25 MB instead of the
probably several hundred MegaBytes it is set to now.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.