RealPlayer

I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this group to
be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from c-span
that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it does
not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
Sol

In article <e6E8vHafFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, solkeys@yahoo.com
says...
> >I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this group to
> >be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
> >reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from c-span
> >that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
> >Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it does
> >not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
> >Sol

See iffn you can download the file onto your hard drive and then play
it from there. Right click the file link and then select "Save Target
As...". It's worth a shot!

--

The Seabat
Confused as a baby in a topless bar!

See if Real Alternative will satisfy you,
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:31:23 -0400, "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this group to
>be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
>reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from c-span
>that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
>Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it does
>not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
>Sol

Before I start with something new I would like to first stay with Real if
possible.
Sol
"Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> See if Real Alternative will satisfy you,
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
>
> --
> Mikhail Zhilin
> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> ======
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:31:23 -0400, "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this group
> >be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
> >reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from
c-span
> >that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
> >Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it does
> >not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
> >Sol

Good Luck!

Solkeys wrote:
> Before I start with something new I would like to first stay with Real if
> possible.
> Sol
> "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
>> See if Real Alternative will satisfy you,
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
>>
>> --
>> Mikhail Zhilin
>> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
>> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
>> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
>> ======
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:31:23 -0400, "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this
group to
>>> be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
>>> reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from
c-span
>>> that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
>>> Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it
does
>>> not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
>>> Sol

What do call good luck
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Good Luck!
>
> Solkeys wrote:
> > Before I start with something new I would like to first stay with Real
if
> > possible.
> > Sol
> > "Mikhail Zhilin" <mwz@x.REMOVEx.aha.ru> wrote in message
> >> See if Real Alternative will satisfy you,
> >> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mikhail Zhilin
> >> http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
> >> Sorry, no technical support by e-mail.
> >> Please reply to the newsgroups only.
> >> ======

> group to
> c-span
> does

You can't download it. also my question is why I didn't have this problem
before?

Solkeys wrote:
> I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this group
> to be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled and
> reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from c-span
> that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
> Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it does
> not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
> Sol

I use and specialized installed RP v8 also and have it well tamed and under
my control. I do not like v10 either. Anyway, what is the link of what you
are trying to play and I will check it out for you.

Rick

ps
http://www.c-span.org/watch/help.asp ..shows that they say they are starting
to use RP10 codecs and if the video you want is that way then is why it is
prompting you. I don't know if RP8 can be outfitted with that codec or one
that will play it but again if you give me a link to the video I will check
it out since I'm curious about it now too.....

This is one
"rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/sc/sc070105_oconnor.rm?mode=compact" But
the problem Before I Uninstalled and reinstalled I did not have this
problem.
Sol
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Solkeys wrote:
> > I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this
group
> > to be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I uninstalled
and
> > reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from
c-span
> > that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
> > Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it
does
> > not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
> > Sol
>
> I use and specialized installed RP v8 also and have it well tamed and
under
> my control. I do not like v10 either. Anyway, what is the link of what
you
> are trying to play and I will check it out for you.
>
> Rick

I am also wondering why I can't play that archived files from c-span with
Windows Media Player, because live c-span works with WMP too?
"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is one
> "rtsp://video.c-span.org/archive/sc/sc070105_oconnor.rm?mode=compact" But
> the problem Before I Uninstalled and reinstalled I did not have this
> problem.
> Sol
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> > Solkeys wrote:
> > > I know this question does not belong in this group but I found this
> group
> > > to be the most knowledgeable. I had RealPlayer version 8. I
uninstalled
> and
> > > reinstalled it. Since then I am trying to play a archive video from
> c-span
> > > that will play only with the realPlayer but it won't start first The
> > > Autoupdate comes up and starts downloading version 10.5 otherwise it
> does
> > > not play.I don't want that version what can I do?
> > > Sol
> >
> > I use and specialized installed RP v8 also and have it well tamed and
> under
> > my control. I do not like v10 either. Anyway, what is the link of what
> you
> > are trying to play and I will check it out for you.
> >
> > Rick

My RP does the same thing as yours - it won't give me that file or any video
file in their archives unless I upgrade to v10.

My WMP v9 will not work either on their site.

I wasn't able to cop the video file either like I usually can, but I'm a bit
rusty at doing that and maybe need newer softwares for lifting streams - but
once I have the video in hand I can figure out what codecs I need.

Rick

Thank you very much. Please keep me updated in solving this.
> My RP does the same thing as yours - it won't give me that file or any
video
> file in their archives unless I upgrade to v10.
>
> My WMP v9 will not work either on their site.
>
> I wasn't able to cop the video file either like I usually can, but I'm a
bit
> rusty at doing that and maybe need newer softwares for lifting streams -
but
> once I have the video in hand I can figure out what codecs I need.
>
> Rick

Sounds like the answer is either upgrade or skip the link (or consider Real
Alternative, I suppose).

And unfortunately, I have a hunch this is going to be the future we are in
store for. YUK!

Solkeys wrote:
> Thank you very much. Please keep me updated in solving this.
> Sol

> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> My RP does the same thing as yours - it won't give me that file or any
video
>> file in their archives unless I upgrade to v10.
>>
>> My WMP v9 will not work either on their site.
>>
>> I wasn't able to cop the video file either like I usually can, but I'm a
bit
>> rusty at doing that and maybe need newer softwares for lifting streams -
but
>> once I have the video in hand I can figure out what codecs I need.
>>
>> Rick

What is opinion about Real Alternative? Also about RealPlayer version
10.5.5, and between both of them which way to go?
Sol
> Sounds like the answer is either upgrade or skip the link (or consider
Real
> Alternative, I suppose).
>
> And unfortunately, I have a hunch this is going to be the future we are in
> store for. YUK!
>
> Solkeys wrote:
> > Thank you very much. Please keep me updated in solving this.
> > Sol
>
> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> >> My RP does the same thing as yours - it won't give me that file or any
> video
> >> file in their archives unless I upgrade to v10.
> >>
> >> My WMP v9 will not work either on their site.
> >>
> >> I wasn't able to cop the video file either like I usually can, but I'm
> bit
> >> rusty at doing that and maybe need newer softwares for lifting
streams -
> but
> >> once I have the video in hand I can figure out what codecs I need.
> >>
> >> Rick

I can't answer that, as I don't use it. I still use the *old* version of
Real, and don't use it much at all, except on a very few sites, like
amazon.com - and NOT for video. Only audio stuff.

Solkeys wrote:
> Thank you very much. Please keep me updated in solving this.
> Sol

Okay I got the codecs and they work with those files now on RP v8, it's
pretty easy to do.

I've uploaded them for you, and so download this file
http://tinyurl.com/b8a6h and unzip it and place the 2 codecs
in your real player codec folder which is located in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Codecs

That's it ..enjoy

Rick

Hye Rick, how did you find these special codecs or DLLs, anyway? Is it a
combination of a somewhat intricate knowledge of the older Real Player's
limitations and requirements, mixed in with a good dose of persistence, or
what?? (or is it a secret?) :)

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> Solkeys wrote:
>> Thank you very much. Please keep me updated in solving this.
>> Sol
>

> Okay I got the codecs and they work with those files now on RP v8, it's
> pretty easy to do.
>
> I've uploaded them for you, and so download this file
> http://tinyurl.com/b8a6h and unzip it and place the 2 codecs
> in your real player codec folder which is located in:
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Codecs
>
> That's it ..enjoy
>
> Rick

oh ps,

....besides those dll's making your RP v8 work with those files watching
online now, I also downloaded and installed this separate simple Free program
that lets you take that link and also actually download those rm video files
to your own computer and have your own copy of it if you wanted - the program
is called Net Transport: Second listing down on this page:
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page9.html#Net%20Transport
It is simple to use, a small footprint of an install... works very well.

Rick

Bill in Co. wrote:
> Hye Rick, how did you find these special codecs or DLLs, anyway? Is it a
> combination of a somewhat intricate knowledge of the older Real Player's
> limitations and requirements, mixed in with a good dose of persistence, or
> what?? (or is it a secret?) :)

It's not a secret really and they are not special but were just taken
from RP v10 was all. Nice codecs though!

I surmise when Solkeys uninstalled it the first time which he said had worked
with that video but the uninstall removed them, so evidently in order to
have had those dll's already he must of been previously last year or so
prompted for codecs and 'at that time' Real gave it to him.. but since then
now they don't service the old versions and make you upgrade to v10 instead
of giving you the codecs - which he what he ran into with the new prompt.

I know there's so many alternate versions like RP alternative, QT
alternative, or MP classic, K-Lite Codec Packs and lot's of ways to make it
work, and other 'all in one' players - I like them all ..but for me I just
enjoy keeping all my selected versions of WMP 6.4 & 9, RP8, QT, DivX, players
'Stock' but fully codec'd w/other unique changes. This way when
someone has a particular problem with a particular version I can help and
troubleshoot each brand better; actually I was surprised I did not have those
RP codecs already on my RP version but lately I haven't had time to keep up
with my players like I used to do.

Well the good thing is that I was able to once again expand my v8 with more
stock codecs, as well this Net Transport program is a really neat addition to
my system and is very similar to StreamBox VCR suite but which was not able
to cop these newer rp streams. I don't like to watch them online either and
so tis the only other way to get em.

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> Hye Rick, how did you find these special codecs or DLLs, anyway? Is it
>> combination of a somewhat intricate knowledge of the older Real Player's
>> limitations and requirements, mixed in with a good dose of persistence,
or
>> what?? (or is it a secret?) :)
>
> It's not a secret really and they are not special but were just taken
> from RP v10 was all. Nice codecs though!
>
> I surmise when Solkeys uninstalled it the first time which he said had
worked
> with that video but the uninstall removed them, so evidently in order to
> have had those dll's already he must of been previously last year or so
> prompted for codecs and 'at that time' Real gave it to him.. but since
then
> now they don't service the old versions and make you upgrade to v10
instead
> of giving you the codecs - which he what he ran into with the new prompt.
>
> I know there's so many alternate versions like RP alternative, QT
> alternative, or MP classic, K-Lite Codec Packs and lot's of ways to make
it
> work, and other 'all in one' players - I like them all ..but for me I just
> enjoy keeping all my selected versions of WMP 6.4 & 9, RP8, QT, DivX,
players
> 'Stock' but fully codec'd w/other unique changes. This way when
> someone has a particular problem with a particular version I can help and
> troubleshoot each brand better; actually I was surprised I did not have
those
> RP codecs already on my RP version but lately I haven't had time to keep
up
> with my players like I used to do.
>
> Well the good thing is that I was able to once again expand my v8 with
more
> stock codecs, as well this Net Transport program is a really neat addition
> my system and is very similar to StreamBox VCR suite but which was not
able
> to cop these newer rp streams. I don't like to watch them online either
and
> so tis the only other way to get em.
>
> Rick

I have Total Recorder, which (I think) does something similar to those
programs you're mentioning above(?), except that Total Recorder also lets
you record and save them as mp3s, instead of wav or rm, or whatever, which,
I think, is a distinct advantage.

OTOH, those programs you mentioned above are probably more flexible in some
other ways, I would expect.

Bill in Co. wrote:

> I have Total Recorder, which (I think) does something similar to those
> programs you're mentioning above(?), except that Total Recorder also lets
> you record and save them as mp3s, instead of wav or rm, or whatever, which,
> I think, is a distinct advantage.
>
> OTOH, those programs you mentioned above are probably more flexible in some
> other ways, I would expect.

My purpose was only talking about the stock players of Windows Media Player
v6.4 & 9, QuickTime v6, RealPlayer v8, DivX v2.1 and keeping them separate
and 'as is' stock for reference; but in their stock function they were really
never intended to do the things that Total Recorder was made to do. Total
Recorder or the many other 'all in one' players/recorders available is a
different subject focus than my intentions spoken of here.

Rick

> Bill in Co. wrote:
> > Hye Rick, how did you find these special codecs or DLLs, anyway? Is it a
> > combination of a somewhat intricate knowledge of the older Real Player's
> > limitations and requirements, mixed in with a good dose of persistence, or
> > what?? (or is it a secret?) :)
>
> It's not a secret really and they are not special but were just taken
> from RP v10 was all. Nice codecs though!

Hi Rick,
So, how did you get the codecs? Did you go find a machine with RealPlayer 10 and
copy the .dll files from the Codecs folder? If so, that means maintaining a system
with RealPlayer 10 in order to have access to the .dlls, no? Or am I missing
something (again ;-))
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

glee wrote:
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Bill in Co. wrote:
>> > Hye Rick, how did you find these special codecs or DLLs, anyway? Is
>> > it a combination of a somewhat intricate knowledge of the older Real
>> > Player's limitations and requirements, mixed in with a good dose of
>> > persistence, or what?? (or is it a secret?) :)
>>
>> It's not a secret really and they are not special but were just taken
>> from RP v10 was all. Nice codecs though!
>
> Hi Rick,
> So, how did you get the codecs? Did you go find a machine with RealPlayer
> 10 and copy the .dll files from the Codecs folder? If so, that means
> maintaining a system with RealPlayer 10 in order to have access to the
> .dlls, no? Or am I missing something (again ;-))

Good morning Glen,

Honestly, this time I just had asked around and found it was already a known
fact that those new codecs were interchangeable between versions and
are available here and there from likeminded places on the web. All my other
codecs saved over the years for the players I mentioned I had actually
upgraded codecs when prompted for every specific file extensions I could find
for each player and tracked the changes thereby gleaning that information and
then using it to update my own players, but this time I admit it was an easy
case of asking around. In all cases though I could see via the updates
tracking that it was always just a matter putting the corresponding dll's in
each players codec draw folder; sometimes a few registry entries went along
with it but in this rp case it didn't need it. I remember a while back for
'bill in co' I had given him the 14_43260.dll & 28_83260.dll files and the
registry file so he could play certain extensions in rp that he wanted, and
it was those that I had previously gotten the way I mentioned and just
extracted the install information out of my tracking logs and gave it to him.
Making stock player codecs work after the fact is just one of the things I
like to do for fun play :) ..the other things are like keeping outdated
OS's like W98SE or W2Kpro (a little of WXPro too) 'stock' but bring it to its
highest functioning level possible! ..and if it's a hard to get update that
one needs for it ...then I'm the man to see cause I got them all :) ..and
if they weren't available but only through WU without a download basket -
then I would do the update and track the changes and have the info necessary
to extrapolate my own install of it.. that subject goes for everything
software related too.. ..my nickname should be 'The Tracker' <s>

Rick

......ps, I spoke with Chris Quirke yesterday and he's off working on other
things like Bart's PE for XP (bootable XP on CDR) and building kiff mOS
disks! ...but you know how I feel and would sure still like to get that IE6
delete hang bug fixed at a professional level ...:) Have you heard of any
progress with it or is it still a long shot :( ...Thanks for your efforts
with it though - I will always plug away for it to get done <smile>

> glee wrote:
> > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> >> It's not a secret really and they are not special but were just taken
> >> from RP v10 was all. Nice codecs though!
> >
> > Hi Rick,
> > So, how did you get the codecs? Did you go find a machine with RealPlayer
> > 10 and copy the .dll files from the Codecs folder? If so, that means
> > maintaining a system with RealPlayer 10 in order to have access to the
> > .dlls, no? Or am I missing something (again ;-))
>
> Good morning Glen,
>
> Honestly, this time I just had asked around and found it was already a known
> fact that those new codecs were interchangeable between versions and
> are available here and there from likeminded places on the web. All my other
> codecs saved over the years for the players I mentioned I had actually
> upgraded codecs when prompted for every specific file extensions I could find
> for each player and tracked the changes thereby gleaning that information and
> then using it to update my own players, but this time I admit it was an easy
> case of asking around. In all cases though I could see via the updates
> tracking that it was always just a matter putting the corresponding dll's in
> each players codec draw folder; sometimes a few registry entries went along
> with it but in this rp case it didn't need it. I remember a while back for
> 'bill in co' I had given him the 14_43260.dll & 28_83260.dll files and the
> registry file so he could play certain extensions in rp that he wanted, and
> it was those that I had previously gotten the way I mentioned and just
> extracted the install information out of my tracking logs and gave it to him.
> Making stock player codecs work after the fact is just one of the things I
> like to do for fun play :) ..the other things are like keeping outdated
> OS's like W98SE or W2Kpro (a little of WXPro too) 'stock' but bring it to its
> highest functioning level possible! ..and if it's a hard to get update that
> one needs for it ...then I'm the man to see cause I got them all :) ..and
> if they weren't available but only through WU without a download basket -
> then I would do the update and track the changes and have the info necessary
> to extrapolate my own install of it.. that subject goes for everything
> software related too.. ..my nickname should be 'The Tracker' <s>

OK Tracker, so I translate your reply as "google it".... <g>

> .....ps, I spoke with Chris Quirke yesterday and he's off working on other
> things like Bart's PE for XP (bootable XP on CDR) and building kiff mOS
> disks! ...but you know how I feel and would sure still like to get that IE6
> delete hang bug fixed at a professional level ...:) Have you heard of any
> progress with it or is it still a long shot :( ...Thanks for your efforts
> with it though - I will always plug away for it to get done <smile>

Right now, I would call it a *very* long shot.