  • Linux
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 30, 2005 11:13:02 PM

I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE. I have Linux
installed on a separate hard drive. Prior to re-install, Windows did not
detect the Linux hard drive.

Now it shows it as drive 'D' and keeps asking if I want to format the drive.

I am using two identical SATA drives, but not in a RAID setup.

How can I stop Windows 98 from detecting the Linux Drive drive?

More about : windows linux dual boot system

July 1, 2005 3:56:53 AM

powerman49 wrote:
> I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE. I have Linux
> installed on a separate hard drive. Prior to re-install, Windows did not
> detect the Linux hard drive.
>
> Now it shows it as drive 'D' and keeps asking if I want to format the drive.
>
> I am using two identical SATA drives, but not in a RAID setup.
>
> How can I stop Windows 98 from detecting the Linux Drive drive?

I've done it two ways.
There's a boot manager built into linux that will do it.
A third-party boot manager will do it. I use " boot manager"
I like it because it automagically swaps drive letters around so
you can boot multiple windows partitions and they show up as C.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 1, 2005 2:07:02 PM

"mike" wrote:

> powerman49 wrote:
> > I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE. I have Linux
> > installed on a separate hard drive. Prior to re-install, Windows did not
> > detect the Linux hard drive.
> >
> > Now it shows it as drive 'D' and keeps asking if I want to format the drive.
> >
> > I am using two identical SATA drives, but not in a RAID setup.
> >
> > How can I stop Windows 98 from detecting the Linux Drive drive?
>
> I've done it two ways.
> There's a boot manager built into linux that will do it.
> A third-party boot manager will do it. I use " boot manager"
> I like it because it automagically swaps drive letters around so
> you can boot multiple windows partitions and they show up as C.
> mike
>
> --
> Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> ..
> Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
>
> It is not a problem of trying to boot to linux from windows, but I do not want windows to see the drive at all. I do not have a RAID set up, but have the program to do this. Is there a setup in RAID configurations that may help?
Related resources
July 2, 2005 2:44:29 AM

powerman49 wrote:

> "mike" wrote:
>

>>powerman49 wrote:
>>
>>>I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 98 SE. I have Linux
>>>installed on a separate hard drive. Prior to re-install, Windows did not
>>>detect the Linux hard drive.
>>>
>>>Now it shows it as drive 'D' and keeps asking if I want to format the drive.
>>>
>>>I am using two identical SATA drives, but not in a RAID setup.
>>>
>>>How can I stop Windows 98 from detecting the Linux Drive drive?
>>
>>I've done it two ways.
>>There's a boot manager built into linux that will do it.
>>A third-party boot manager will do it. I use " boot manager"
>>I like it because it automagically swaps drive letters around so
>>you can boot multiple windows partitions and they show up as C.
>>mike
>>
>>--
>>Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
>>with links. Delete this sig when replying.
>>..
>>Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
>>FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
>>Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
>>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
>>MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
>>ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
>>
>>It is not a problem of trying to boot to linux from windows, but I do not want windows to see the drive at all. I do not have a RAID set up, but have the program to do this.. Is there a setup in RAID configurations that may help?

I'm no linux expert, but the boot manager lilo, should boot anything you
want.
Smart Boot Manager, sbminst.exe, will let you hide partitions.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
July 2, 2005 1:06:02 PM

"mike" wrote:

> powerman49 wrote:

> >>I've done it two ways.
> >>There's a boot manager built into linux that will do it.
> >>A third-party boot manager will do it. I use " boot manager"
> >>I like it because it automagically swaps drive letters around so
> >>you can boot multiple windows partitions and they show up as C.
> >>mike
> >>
> >>--
> >>Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> >>with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> >>..
> >>Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> >>FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> >>Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
> >>Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> >>MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> >>ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
> >>
> >>It is not a problem of trying to boot to linux from windows, but I do not want windows to see the drive at all. I do not have a RAID set up, but have the program to do this.. Is there a setup in RAID configurations that may help?
> >

> I'm no linux expert, but the boot manager lilo, should boot anything you
> want.
> Smart Boot Manager, sbminst.exe, will let you hide partitions.
> mike
>
> --
> Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
> with links. Delete this sig when replying.
> ..
> Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
> FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
> Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
> Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
> MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
> ht<removethis>tp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/
>
> I know that linux has the capabilities of booting to either linux or windows. I guess I have not clarified myself very well on the question.

While in Windows98 OS, windows explorer sees the hard drive linux is
installed on. Every time I empty the recycle bin, I get a message saying
"the disk in Drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Prior to doing the clean install of Win 98, this hard drive was not
detected. While both hard drives are identical SATA drives, there are
provisions for a RAID. It seems to me when I first got this computer
(October 2004), and installed Win98 on it, it detected the other drive until
I did something with the RAID setuip program.

Does anyone know anything about RAID that may help? Apparently I did it
before, but am not well versed in RAID.
!