machine code???

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 1, 2005 11:19:34 PM

hi,
I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
when it happened.

A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).

The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
the character at that point is undistinguishable).
Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)

Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.

I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
more details either.

I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
was inserted.
We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or g's.
It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
of anything else to put in header.

...Rex..

More about : machine code

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:32:54 AM

You only mention linux and XP.
What is the connection with Win98?

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>hi,
>I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
>when it happened.
>
>A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
>from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
>in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
>
>The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
>up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
>300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
>the character at that point is undistinguishable).
>Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
>ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)
>
>Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
>
>I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
>more details either.
>
>I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
>(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
>was inserted.
>We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
>after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
>screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or g's.
>It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
>of anything else to put in header.
>
>..Rex..

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:32:06 AM

sorry alan,
his machine is a Win98/xp dual boot.
he has plenty of hd space and also partition magic if
tickling was necessary.

it was during an installation of linux that he encountered a problem.
he got 3/4 of the way through the instal when he was fronted
with an area that wouldnt let him go forward or backward.
After talking more with him it appears he may not have allocated
enough hd space for linux to run its course.

The real problem now is that during boot he cant get to win98 or xp,
it gets as far as checking the 'norms' and just prior to going to the
screen which offers the option of win98 or xp, he gets the 'g's' or '9's.
The cursor at this point is just a normal dos prompt cursor at the
end of the '9's' of which no keyboard interaction does anything;
except ctrl alt del.

any ideas?

...Rex..
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> You only mention linux and XP.
> What is the connection with Win98?
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
> >when it happened.
> >
> >A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
> >from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
> >in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
> >
> >The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
> >up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
> >300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
> >the character at that point is undistinguishable).
> >Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
> >ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)
> >
> >Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
> >
> >I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
> >more details either.
> >
> >I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
> >(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
> >was inserted.
> >We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
> >after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
> >screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or g's.
> >It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
> >of anything else to put in header.
> >
> >..Rex..

July 2, 2005 1:32:07 AM

Look around the internet for how to remove LILO.

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> sorry alan,
> his machine is a Win98/xp dual boot.
> he has plenty of hd space and also partition magic if
> tickling was necessary.
>
> it was during an installation of linux that he encountered a problem.
> he got 3/4 of the way through the instal when he was fronted
> with an area that wouldnt let him go forward or backward.
> After talking more with him it appears he may not have allocated
> enough hd space for linux to run its course.
>
> The real problem now is that during boot he cant get to win98 or xp,
> it gets as far as checking the 'norms' and just prior to going to the
> screen which offers the option of win98 or xp, he gets the 'g's' or '9's.
> The cursor at this point is just a normal dos prompt cursor at the
> end of the '9's' of which no keyboard interaction does anything;
> except ctrl alt del.
>
> any ideas?
>
> ..Rex..
> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> > You only mention linux and XP.
> > What is the connection with Win98?
> >
> > ...Alan
> >
> > --
> > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> > http://dts-l.org/index.html
> >
> > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >hi,
> > >I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
> > >when it happened.
> > >
> > >A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
> > >from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
> > >in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
> > >
> > >The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
> > >up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
> > >300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
> > >the character at that point is undistinguishable).
> > >Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
> > >ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)
> > >
> > >Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
> > >
> > >I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
> > >more details either.
> > >
> > >I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
> > >(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
> > >was inserted.
> > >We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
> > >after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
> > >screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or
g's.
> > >It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
> > >of anything else to put in header.
> > >
> > >..Rex..

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:16:50 AM

I just thought of something else alan, if you are able
to oblige.
Is it feasable or a good idea to have 3 o/s's on one
hard drive?
I believe o/p have it that way but is Linux the ideal 3rd.

...Rex..
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> You only mention linux and XP.
> What is the connection with Win98?
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >hi,
> >I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
> >when it happened.
> >
> >A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
> >from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
> >in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
> >
> >The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
> >up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
> >300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
> >the character at that point is undistinguishable).
> >Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
> >ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)
> >
> >Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
> >
> >I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
> >more details either.
> >
> >I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
> >(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
> >was inserted.
> >We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
> >after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
> >screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or g's.
> >It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
> >of anything else to put in header.
> >
> >..Rex..

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:23:54 AM

> Look around the internet for how to remove LILO.

Thanks for the link, that info will serve well.
Still doesnt help my friend out with the immediate
problem though.
Please check my second post to alan.
Also, nothing has been said by you guys re: the
9's or g's........

...Rex..
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:02:16 AM

Rex wrote:
> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
>
>>Look around the internet for how to remove LILO.
>

> Thanks for the link, that info will serve well.
> Still doesnt help my friend out with the immediate
> problem though.
> Please check my second post to alan.
> Also, nothing has been said by you guys re: the
> 9's or g's........
>
> ..Rex..

Looks like LILO (LInux LOader) is in control of the mbr but being
configured badly cannot do its work. L9 is one of the errors presented
by it.
I would try booting from DOS diskette which has FDISK.EXE on it and
issue "fdisk /mbr" command (no quotes). It may restore the Win98 access.

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 4:49:08 AM

Rex wrote:
> I just thought of something else alan, if you are able
> to oblige.
> Is it feasable or a good idea to have 3 o/s's on one
> hard drive?
> I believe o/p have it that way but is Linux the ideal 3rd.

You can have as many as you wish, what you do with them is completely
different matter as they all run similar applications.
There is NO "ideal" OS!
A hammer IS a hammer but in hands of Michaelangelo or a carpenter the
results differ.
So it is back to the "user".

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 2:21:43 PM

Hi Rex,

Sorry, but I have little experience with multiple o/s systems and have
never used linux.

....Alan

--

wrote:

>I just thought of something else alan, if you are able
>to oblige.
>Is it feasable or a good idea to have 3 o/s's on one
>hard drive?
>I believe o/p have it that way but is Linux the ideal 3rd.
>
>..Rex..
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> You only mention linux and XP.
>> What is the connection with Win98?
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >hi,
>> >I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
>> >when it happened.
>> >
>> >A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
>> >from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
>> >in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
>> >
>> >The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
>> >up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
>> >300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9" as
>> >the character at that point is undistinguishable).
>> >Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
>> >ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the same.)
>> >
>> >Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
>> >
>> >I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
>> >more details either.
>> >
>> >I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to cdrom
>> >(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
>> >was inserted.
>> >We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
>> >after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the boot
>> >screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or g's.
>> >It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
>> >of anything else to put in header.
>> >
>> >..Rex..

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:28:30 PM

Suggest to your friend that he/she employ BootIt NG to manage
partitions. Plenty of support for multi-booting scenarios, also. Perhaps
even the particular that is facing you right now.

www.bootitng.com

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 0mkQrjfFHA.352@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I just thought of something else alan, if you are able
> to oblige.
> Is it feasable or a good idea to have 3 o/s's on one
> hard drive?
> I believe o/p have it that way but is Linux the ideal 3rd.
>
> ..Rex..
> "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> You only mention linux and XP.
>> What is the connection with Win98?
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >hi,
>> >I cant give too much info on this question as I wasnt there
>> >when it happened.
>> >
>> >A friend started loading linux and had to quit 3/4 of the way in,
>> >from what I can gather it was due to not being given an option
>> >in a certain area. (its neither here nor there for this problem).
>> >
>> >The problem now is that during reboot, it will run its course right
>> >up to the point of booting of which is followed by approximately
>> >300 to 400 letter "g's". (although, it could even be the number "9"
>> >as
>> >the character at that point is undistinguishable).
>> >Next, the cursor just blinks at the end of the above and nothing but
>> >ctrl alt del will do anything. (ctrl alt del just reboots to the
>> >same.)
>> >
>> >Friends system is a dual boot with xp and linux got halted anyway.
>> >
>> >I cant throw much light on it for him and cant really give you any
>> >more details either.
>> >
>> >I did quickly try one thing while there. I tried rebooting to
>> >cdrom
>> >(if quick enough to click a key during boot) of which an xp disk
>> >was inserted.
>> >We then ran SetUp and heading straight for the repair option, but
>> >after this run its course and a reboot initiated, we end up at the
>> >boot
>> >screen again with the above situation........ lots of 9's or
>> >g's.
>> >It doesnt really look like machine code or hex, but I couldnt think
>> >of anything else to put in header.
>> >
>> >..Rex..

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 2:46:16 AM

Okay.
Thanks to all, and sorry for late reply.
All options have been put forward and
the next few weeks will be the telltale.

...Rex..

news:o #LVC31fFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!