Using ICS from XP client to win98 host

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 1, 2005 4:45:21 PM

Does anybody use internet connection sharing to allow an XP system to
access the internet via a 98 system?

I have ICS set up on my 98 computer which has an adsl modem. I've run
the wizard on XP to set up a network and selected the option to connect
to the internet through another computer on the network.

I've switched off firewalls on both computers.

The 98 computer says that 2 computers are sharing the internet
connection. The physical network is OK as I can see shared folders on
both computers.

But on the XP system internet explorer can't access any web sites. E.g.
www.bbc.co.uk fails with 'The page cannot be displayed'. But if I run
Command Prompt on the XP system then pinging www.bbc.co.uk works fine.

Is there somethng I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Malc

More about : ics client win98 host

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:45:22 PM

From: "Malc" <xxxxxx@hotmail.com>

| Does anybody use internet connection sharing to allow an XP system to
| access the internet via a 98 system?
|
| I have ICS set up on my 98 computer which has an adsl modem. I've run
| the wizard on XP to set up a network and selected the option to connect
| to the internet through another computer on the network.
|
| I've switched off firewalls on both computers.
|
| The 98 computer says that 2 computers are sharing the internet
| connection. The physical network is OK as I can see shared folders on
| both computers.
|
| But on the XP system internet explorer can't access any web sites. E.g.
| www.bbc.co.uk fails with 'The page cannot be displayed'. But if I run
| Command Prompt on the XP system then pinging www.bbc.co.uk works fine.
|
| Is there somethng I have missed?
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Malc

Yes... Using a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "Malc" <xxxxxx@hotmail.com>
>
> | Does anybody use internet connection sharing to allow an XP system to
> | access the internet via a 98 system?
> |
> | I have ICS set up on my 98 computer which has an adsl modem. I've run
> | the wizard on XP to set up a network and selected the option to connect
> | to the internet through another computer on the network.
> |
> | I've switched off firewalls on both computers.
> |
> | The 98 computer says that 2 computers are sharing the internet
> | connection. The physical network is OK as I can see shared folders on
> | both computers.
> |
> | But on the XP system internet explorer can't access any web sites. E.g.
> | www.bbc.co.uk fails with 'The page cannot be displayed'. But if I run
> | Command Prompt on the XP system then pinging www.bbc.co.uk works fine.
> |
> | Is there somethng I have missed?
> |
> | Thanks in advance
> |
> | Malc
> |

> Yes... Using a Cable/DSL Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41.

Dave, One would not use a router with ICS. ICS *is* the router......
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Malc" <xxxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody use internet connection sharing to allow an XP system to
> access the internet via a 98 system?
>
> I have ICS set up on my 98 computer which has an adsl modem. I've run
> the wizard on XP to set up a network and selected the option to
connect
> to the internet through another computer on the network.
>
> I've switched off firewalls on both computers.
>
> The 98 computer says that 2 computers are sharing the internet
> connection. The physical network is OK as I can see shared folders on
> both computers.
>
> But on the XP system internet explorer can't access any web sites.
E.g.
> www.bbc.co.uk fails with 'The page cannot be displayed'. But if I run
> Command Prompt on the XP system then pinging www.bbc.co.uk works fine.
>
> Is there somethng I have missed?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Malc

After a lot of trial and error and a search of microsoft knowledge base
I suspect that this is impossible. I couldn't find anything in
knowledge base which actually says that it can't be done, but article
305667 says:

SYMPTOMS
When you try to connect to the Internet using a Windows Millennium
Edition (Me) client computer that uses a shared Internet connection on a
Windows 98 host computer, you may receive the following error message:
The page cannot be displayed.
CAUSE
This issue can occur because Windows Me requires newer versions of the
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) files than the ICS files that are
included in Windows 98.

There is a work around for this which involves creating a Home
Networking Wizard Setup Disk in Me and running it on 98. I tried this
with an XP disc, it updated some files and didn't complain, but it
didn't fix the problem.

If Microsoft managed to introduce compatibility issues between 98 and
Me, then it can only be worse between 98 and XP.

So, I'm going to have to move my modem from the 98 computer to the XP
one, which isn't a big deal. But, I'm also going to have to run a phone
line in parallel to my network cable as it's the 98 computer which is by
the phone socket. Or upgrade to XP - which I suspect is Microsoft's
intention.

Malc

Malc
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:43:16 AM

There seems to be some mis-information in this thread, because WinXP will operate as
a client with a Win98SE machine as gateway (host) using ICS. Where I work, before
we switched to Roadrunner cable and installed a hardware router, we had Win98SE with
ICS installed as the host using an ADSL connection, and had Win98SE, WinME, and
WinXP systems all connected as clients.

What protocols are installed on each machine? You should only need TCP/IP....don't
install NetBEUI or IPX/SPX. You need to re-check all your settings on both
machines. If you have one set to obtain IP addresses automatically, then you need
to set the other the same way. Use these TCP/IP settings on each computer:
IP Address: Obtain an IP address automatically
WINS Configuration: Use DHCP for WINS Resolution
Gateway: remove all gateways
DNS Configuration: Disable DNS

Check your configuration using the info here:

ICS How-To:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics.htm

ICS Troubleshooting:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_tro...

It might also be wise to post your question in the Networking forum:

As Dave mentioned, using a hardware router is a much better alternative to using
ICS.
--

!