• CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Cache
  • Processors
  • Dual Core
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
May 1, 2006 7:29:35 PM

Intel Pentium D 960 is out!!! my God with a whopping! 4MB * 2 L2 Cache, my God i can't believe it! (3.6 GHz) Dual Core!! see it for yourself!

Intel Pentium D 960
This is Great!!!!!!!!!!

More about : intel processor

May 1, 2006 7:32:54 PM

hm... no no no conflicting.... according to the provided link in the above post it has 4MB * 2 L2 Cache... but in the Processor Specs... it says 2MB * 2 so i don't know which one is correct... i hope its 4MB * 2 :) 
May 1, 2006 7:40:24 PM

Rest assured, it is only 2x2MB, total 4MB. :) 
Related resources
May 1, 2006 7:43:15 PM

nooooooo!!! why it can't be 4MB * 2? the sSpec details say that it does has 4MB * 2!!!! i'm saying it will have (should have) 4MB * 2 coz i was already planing to buy 950 but now 960 !!!!

EDIT: how can they type it wrong at two places... i know it is 4MB * 2 = 8MB Total!!!
May 1, 2006 8:02:32 PM

well, that says 4MBx2 alright. It's not going to make a heck of a difference, IMO, but I'm not an expert on that. It looks like a total of 8MB. I didn't notice that on the CPU charts though.
May 1, 2006 8:34:14 PM

Quote:
Intel Pentium D 960 is out!!! my God with a whopping! 4MB * 2 L2 Cache, my God i can't believe it! (3.6 GHz) Dual Core!! see it for yourself!

Intel Pentium D 960
This is Great!!!!!!!!!!

Umm; that's great. Big deal.
May 1, 2006 8:52:13 PM

8MB is unlikely but possible, would explain the 130W TDP
May 1, 2006 10:39:13 PM

Just wait for conroe that processor will likely be approx. $500, way more than a comperable current AMD processor. The supposed coneroe prices are pretty reasonable and this whole netburst thing is finaly coming to an end and these processors are on their last leg. By the way, I do have a 955 EE and it does run well , but mostly because it is well cooled. look at my sig.
May 1, 2006 10:49:40 PM

Quote:
Just wait for conroe that processor will likely be approx. $500, way more than a comperable current AMD processor.
EDIT: I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to say....

That is poor speculation on your part. The Conroes look to be very agressively priced, with the $309 Conroe part handily beating the $1000+ FX-60/62 processor in synthetics, media encoding and gaming. AMD will have to significantly drop their prices for your statement to hold water.

That said, I hope AMD does drop their prices that much, great for all us consumers! :) 
May 1, 2006 11:34:58 PM

Netburst sucks, stay away.
May 2, 2006 12:20:38 AM

Wow 4MB's of cache.... lol you could run Dos entirely in the cache ! I bet Zork would run like gang busters... hahahah
May 2, 2006 12:45:08 AM

then what is Intel doing stating that it has 2x4MB cache??? I think they must have screwed something up there. Last I heard they didn't plan to bring in 8MB cache until the end of this year or next year or something.
May 2, 2006 12:45:29 AM

Quote:
It's just your typical Presler(C1) with 2x2MB L2 cache.
3.6Ghz... what's the big deal?

3.6GHz are a big deal, but it is Netburst......
just another CPU that sux.
and a typing mistake in the online specification.
it is 2x2MB, 2x4MB means new core, and that means more than one model and something changed in the numbering, like 8xx that has 2x1MB, the 9xx has 2x2MB, this should be 10xx with 2x4MB.
May 2, 2006 12:50:14 AM

Quote:
Wow 4MB's of cache.... lol you could run Dos entirely in the cache ! I bet Zork would run like gang busters... hahahah

IIRC DOS is not SMP capable.
May 2, 2006 1:04:11 AM

Quote:
then what is Intel doing stating that it has 2x4MB cache??? I think they must have screwed something up there. Last I heard they didn't plan to bring in 8MB cache until the end of this year or next year or something.

I agree, I believe it is a typo.
May 2, 2006 1:07:35 AM

Quote:
3.6Ghz=Presler pushing daisies

It's very tru64 tho Presler = pushing daisies
May 2, 2006 1:10:54 AM

The 960D isn't particularly significant in and of itself, but it's nice to see Netburst finally working (kind of). I think the 3.73GHz 965EE actually uses less power than the single core 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, which is amazing considering how power hungry Prescott was before. I guess Intel is trying to give Netburst a decent send off. It might not be going off with a bang, but at least it's failure is no longer blantly obvious. The aggressive pricing of the 950D down also means there quite good value, because even if they don't perform as well as Conroe they're not overcharging you (much).
May 2, 2006 1:13:30 AM

Quote:
The 960D isn't particularly significant in and of itself, but it's nice to see Netburst finally working (kind of). I think the 3.73GHz 965EE actually uses less power than the single core 3.73GHz Extreme Edition, which is amazing considering how power hungry Prescott was before. I guess Intel is trying to give Netburst a decent send off. It might not be going off with a bang, but at least it's failure is no longer blantly obvious. The aggressive pricing of the 950D down also means there quite good value, because even if they don't perform as well as Conroe they're not overcharging you (much).

Process polishing, a good sign that yields are very high.
May 2, 2006 1:22:29 AM

Quote:

Intel Pentium D 960
This is Great!!!!!!!!!!

you done? this has been on Intel roadmaps for awhile. It hasn't even released yet either, so what the hell are you jittery about?
May 2, 2006 1:24:35 AM

wooo go netburts !!!!

8O

lol

8O <---- lol
May 2, 2006 2:50:52 AM

I got 2 Presler cores ^-^ :) 
May 2, 2006 4:50:35 AM

ok guys... hmm... so from the discussion above and with the ongoing series of 9xx it is very unlikely that it would have 4MB * 2, so i think they've kinda mistyped is over there web pages... and i think that they don't have a central database of processors specifications, due to which they have to update every page manually, poor intel... anywayz... so it done its 2MB * 2 = (4MB) Total...

Now can anyone please verify that Pentium D Processors are out with stepping C1? at one website of intel's they have provided the sSpec numbers and at another there isn't any sign of it... so wots the real story?
May 2, 2006 5:02:29 AM

Quote:
ok guys... hmm... so from the discussion above and with the ongoing series of 9xx it is very unlikely that it would have 4MB * 2, so i think they've kinda mistyped is over there web pages... and i think that they don't have a central database of processors specifications, due to which they have to update every page manually, poor intel... anywayz... so it done its 2MB * 2 = (4MB) Total...

Now can anyone please verify that Pentium D Processors are out with stepping C1? at one website of intel's they have provided the sSpec numbers and at another there isn't any sign of it... so wots the real story?
Wot?
May 2, 2006 5:02:56 AM

Quote:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-ee...
May 2, 2006 5:15:41 AM

Quote:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-ee... No processor is worth over a thousand dollars :evil:  .
May 2, 2006 5:19:56 AM

Quote:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium-ee... No processor is worth over a thousand dollars :evil:  .
and what exactly does that have to do with the C1 stepping?>
May 2, 2006 5:20:57 AM

Quote:

and what exactly does that have to do with the C1 stepping?> Had the pricing of the CPU on there.
May 2, 2006 8:48:13 AM

Oh noes the site isn't up to date, its the end of the world!
May 2, 2006 10:38:13 AM

Quote:
Oh noes the site isn't up to date, its the end of the world!

Que?
May 2, 2006 10:40:12 AM

Quote:
ok, now everybody stop and just look at these two links...
Link 1 Pentium D With C1 Stepping
Link 2 Pentium D Without C1 Stepping

So is Intel Pentium D with C1 stepping out or wot is this crap all about? its confusing and misleading at the same time...

The Intel marketing department must be working overtime while their web mainteners are on vacation. Perhaps, perhaps not.
May 2, 2006 10:54:24 AM

I have no idea what that means.
May 2, 2006 12:56:43 PM

yes wot??
May 2, 2006 12:59:18 PM

yes the C1 steppings are out.
May 2, 2006 1:02:41 PM

please verify that too... and any proof (pics) would be appreciated!
thanx!
May 2, 2006 1:09:37 PM

Quote:
please verify that too... and any proof (pics) would be appreciated!
thanx!

dude, you gave me the link.
Link 1 Pentium D With C1 Stepping
May 2, 2006 1:14:13 PM

:( , well i meant are they realeased or not? does newegg or some other computer selling website has it or not?
May 2, 2006 1:22:17 PM

Not sure. the 965 is a sure c1 stepping bet though.
May 2, 2006 4:08:38 PM

so this means that i'll have to wait and see it myself... and the easy way would be just to look at the last 5 characters of the printed boxed product order code at the box of the processor... hmm... i was thinking that it would be fast and i'll get 950 or 960 anywayz... i'm not waiting for Conroe... rather i would buy a D950/960 system now and another with Conroe that would be great!
!