Memory management

My system is a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 which originally had 512 MB memory (now 1
GB) with Windows 98SE OS, a 30 GB hard drive and an ATI-powered VisionTek
9600XT AGP video card with 250 MB memory on board. I have a CAD program
(Cadsoft Envisioneer) which is frequently crashing when I perform certain
operations--the program 'freezes', the mouse and keyboard become useless
except that I am able to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the 'Close Program' window and end
the task. I initially thought I didn't have enough memory, but after adding
additional memory, I am more confused than ever.

I first tried upping my memory to 1.5 GB but Windows wouldn't 'initialize'
and I subsequently found out that W98 chokes on anything more than 1 GB, so I
reduced it to 1GB and got Windows to boot. But the CAD program still crashes
the same old way. Using a system information utility called 'Everest', I
found that when I had 512 MB of memory, 99% of it was being 'used' (whatever
that means). With no other system changes than upping the memory to 1 GB, I
found that 98% of it was being 'used', according to Everest.

Now admittedly, I have a bunch of 'startup' applications running in the
background. But checking the sizes of these apps shows that only a few of
them are of multi-megabyte size, and the total for all of them would not seem
to put much of a dent in 512 MB, let alone 1 GB. Why then the 99% and 98%
'used' figures? Does this have anything to do with 'resources'? The 'swap'
file? Virtual memory? VCache? Can somebody explain what might be going on
here? The physical hardware seems to me to be adequate. What could be
causing my problems? I need help.
--
little nemo in slumberland

Have you read the recommendations at these links, regarding memory?

http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm

http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#virtual

http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#vcache

What if any vcache settings do you have in the system.ini file?
Are you using a MaxPhysPage setting?
Do you currently have any custom setting for the swap file?

For an explanation of Resources, see here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/resource.htm

http://www.onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#resources

Everest reporting 98-99% of the memory being used is not a bad thing, it is a good
thing. The memory should be used....what is not used for tasks and code, should be
used as file cache. Unused memory is wasted memory.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"littlenemo" <littlenemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system is a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 which originally had 512 MB memory (now 1
> GB) with Windows 98SE OS, a 30 GB hard drive and an ATI-powered VisionTek
> 9600XT AGP video card with 250 MB memory on board. I have a CAD program
> (Cadsoft Envisioneer) which is frequently crashing when I perform certain
> operations--the program 'freezes', the mouse and keyboard become useless
> except that I am able to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the 'Close Program' window and end
> the task. I initially thought I didn't have enough memory, but after adding
> additional memory, I am more confused than ever.
>
> I first tried upping my memory to 1.5 GB but Windows wouldn't 'initialize'
> and I subsequently found out that W98 chokes on anything more than 1 GB, so I
> reduced it to 1GB and got Windows to boot. But the CAD program still crashes
> the same old way. Using a system information utility called 'Everest', I
> found that when I had 512 MB of memory, 99% of it was being 'used' (whatever
> that means). With no other system changes than upping the memory to 1 GB, I
> found that 98% of it was being 'used', according to Everest.
>
> Now admittedly, I have a bunch of 'startup' applications running in the
> background. But checking the sizes of these apps shows that only a few of
> them are of multi-megabyte size, and the total for all of them would not seem
> to put much of a dent in 512 MB, let alone 1 GB. Why then the 99% and 98%
> 'used' figures? Does this have anything to do with 'resources'? The 'swap'
> file? Virtual memory? VCache? Can somebody explain what might be going on
> here? The physical hardware seems to me to be adequate. What could be
> causing my problems? I need help.
> --
> little nemo in slumberland

To add to Glen Ventura (aka 'glee') -- see:

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

"Error Message: Insufficient Memory to Initialize Windows"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q184/4/47.ASP

"Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM"
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q304/9/43.ASP

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:31:04 -0700, "littlenemo"
<littlenemo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My system is a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 which originally had 512 MB memory (now 1
>GB) with Windows 98SE OS, a 30 GB hard drive and an ATI-powered VisionTek
>9600XT AGP video card with 250 MB memory on board. I have a CAD program
>(Cadsoft Envisioneer) which is frequently crashing when I perform certain
>operations--the program 'freezes', the mouse and keyboard become useless
>except that I am able to Ctrl-Alt-Del to the 'Close Program' window and end
>the task. I initially thought I didn't have enough memory, but after adding
>additional memory, I am more confused than ever.
>
>I first tried upping my memory to 1.5 GB but Windows wouldn't 'initialize'
>and I subsequently found out that W98 chokes on anything more than 1 GB, so I
>reduced it to 1GB and got Windows to boot. But the CAD program still crashes
>the same old way. Using a system information utility called 'Everest', I
>found that when I had 512 MB of memory, 99% of it was being 'used' (whatever
>that means). With no other system changes than upping the memory to 1 GB, I
>found that 98% of it was being 'used', according to Everest.
>
>Now admittedly, I have a bunch of 'startup' applications running in the
>background. But checking the sizes of these apps shows that only a few of
>them are of multi-megabyte size, and the total for all of them would not seem
>to put much of a dent in 512 MB, let alone 1 GB. Why then the 99% and 98%
>'used' figures? Does this have anything to do with 'resources'? The 'swap'
>file? Virtual memory? VCache? Can somebody explain what might be going on
>here? The physical hardware seems to me to be adequate. What could be
>causing my problems? I need help.

Drop back to 512 ram, trouble shoot problem from there.
Dont forget, the only reason you upped memory was
because "you" thought it was the culprit...... doesnt mean
its correct.
Systems freeze for many reasons.
I run Cad too, and it has frozen on me to the extent where I
have even had to pull the plug just to get my computer back,
but it was never the Cad program that was at fault.

...Rex..