Multi OS boot

Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later reference.
My question is dealing with the following.

Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL on a
system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?

I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of OS, and
would like to have functional verions of all without having to do any
hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.

I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and it's
associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using one or the
other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.

Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this for
my school portfolio.

J Walker wrote:
> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later reference.

Very nice game that I played just of curiosity some months ago.

> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL on a
> system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?

As long time Linux user I decided at _learning_ one booting application
and make it perform what *I* want.
It is called LILO and comes with comprehensive man pages, the rest is
doing your homework.

> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of OS, and
> would like to have functional verions of all without having to do any
> hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.

Each will have to be configured to the hardware on which it operates,
meaning the relative drivers pecular to this OS.

> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and it's
> associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using one or the
> other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.

Tried few of them, but the "wizardry" was such that in case of crash I
was facing an useless box, but when using LILO I can access the Linux
install even when NOT preparing a rescue diskette.
So in my trial box I have on two "microbial" (less then 8Gb) hard drives
Slackware Linux; MS-DOS; DR-DOS; three versions of Win98se (English,
Greek and Hebrew) and Win2k (XP would not even touch this hardware).
All booting from LILO and NOT interfering with each other.

> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this for
> my school portfolio.

If you need some more help then call me on
compaid at shoalhaven dot net dot au

HTH

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

J Walker wrote:
> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later reference.
> My question is dealing with the following.
>
> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL on a
> system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?
>
> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of OS, and
> would like to have functional verions of all without having to do any
> hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.
>
> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and it's
> associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using one or the
> other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this for
> my school portfolio.

Yes you can have them all on one system. I have two 200GB disk drives,
each with 4 bootable primary partitions:
Disk 0
P1 Warp3 FP43 HPFS
P2 Linux Kubuntu Ext3
P3 Linux Mandriva Ext3 Default boot partition
P4 WinXP FAT32
Disk 1
P1 Win95 Win3.11 FAT16
P2 Warp452 HPFS
P3 Win98 (+Win2k) FAT32
P4 Win2k (+WinXP) NTFS (main backup partition)

The boot loader of Linux Mandriva can boot directly either of the Disk0
partitions, and indirectly any the Disk1 partitions, by loading an NT
boot loader at either of the three Win partitions on Disk1, and these NT
boot loaders also allow choosing to load Warp452. Yes, have a NT boot
loader also on the Win95 partitions even though there is no NT or XP
system installed on this partition. Have 1 sek timeout for the NT boot
loaders, but 5 sek for Mandriva.

Actually I also use Ranish, to set the default boot partition, but above
all to handle the other invisable backup partitions (another eight) that
don´t have a partition number. For instance, have another three
partitions for testing various Linux distros, which I can activate with
Ranish by giving them a partition number (though I have to deactivate
another partition, as max 4 primary partitions are allowed).

P4 of Disk1 is a backup partition (xcopy) but both the backed up Win2k
and WinXP are bootable.

Krister
Lytham, UK

You can use LILO from the linux installation, and be prepared for a sharp
learning curve.

There are 3rd party boot managers out there that install in the general hard
disk area in vicinity of the master boot record. Similar to LILO in
location. One such boot manager have been using for many years, system
commander. Try v-com.com website.

"J Walker" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later
reference.
> My question is dealing with the following.
>
> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL on
> system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?
>
> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of OS,
and
> would like to have functional verions of all without having to do any
> hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.
>
> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and it's
> associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using one or the
> other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this for
> my school portfolio.

"J Walker" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later
> reference. My question is dealing with the following.
>
> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL
> on a system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?
>
> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of
> OS, and would like to have functional verions of all without having to
> do any hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.
>
> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and
> it's associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using
> one or the other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this
> for my school portfolio.

I use Xosl for that. (freeware)
<http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm>
Create a primary OS for each MS OS you want to install. Linux can be
installed on a primary or logical patition, that doesn't matter.
For MSDos and W98 you can use Xosl to hide the other primary paritions.
This absolutely nessesary when the other primary partitions would get a
lower driveletter. MSDos (and so W98) insists on booting from C:\.

I would first install XP on the first partition, than boot from floppy and
install Xosl. Then you can use Xosl to hide the XP partition, and install
W98 and dos. After installing W98 and dos you'll have to reinstall Xosl,
because MS OS'es always overwrite the master boot sector. When you do it in
a different order XP will recognize the hidden partitions, and steal their
bootsectors.

Linux is no problem. It will only use the partitions you tell it to use. At
the end of the installation you must choose to install Lilo in the
bootrecord of the Linux partition, not in the Master boot record. (Xosl is
already there).

When you partitionize the disk you can create a small partition (the
smallest possible) for Xosl to put its files on. At installation Xosl will
as for that. It's not strictly nessesary, but else Xosl will put it's files
in the root of a FAT partition. That sees negligently.

Krister Hallergard wrote:
> J Walker wrote:
>
>> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later
>> reference. My question is dealing with the following.
>>
>> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL
>> on a system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?
>>
>> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of
>> OS, and would like to have functional verions of all without having to
>> do any hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.
>>
>> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and
>> it's associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using
>> one or the other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this
>> for my school portfolio.
>>
> Yes you can have them all on one system. I have two 200GB disk drives,
> each with 4 bootable primary partitions:
> Disk 0
> P1 Warp3 FP43 HPFS
> P2 Linux Kubuntu Ext3
> P3 Linux Mandriva Ext3 Default boot partition
> P4 WinXP FAT32
> Disk 1
> P1 Win95 Win3.11 FAT16
> P2 Warp452 HPFS
> P3 Win98 (+Win2k) FAT32
> P4 Win2k (+WinXP) NTFS (main backup partition)
>
> The boot loader of Linux Mandriva can boot directly either of the Disk0
> partitions, and indirectly any the Disk1 partitions, by loading an NT
> boot loader at either of the three Win partitions on Disk1, and these NT
> boot loaders also allow choosing to load Warp452. Yes, have a NT boot
> loader also on the Win95 partitions even though there is no NT or XP
> system installed on this partition. Have 1 sek timeout for the NT boot
> loaders, but 5 sek for Mandriva.
>
> Actually I also use Ranish, to set the default boot partition, but above
> all to handle the other invisable backup partitions (another eight) that
> don´t have a partition number. For instance, have another three
> partitions for testing various Linux distros, which I can activate with
> Ranish by giving them a partition number (though I have to deactivate
> another partition, as max 4 primary partitions are allowed).
>
> P4 of Disk1 is a backup partition (xcopy) but both the backed up Win2k
> and WinXP are bootable.
>
> Krister
> Lytham, UK

David Bryan has written a good introduction to multi-booting:
http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/ntfs-dual-boot.html

> So in my trial box I have on two "microbial" (less then 8Gb) hard drives
> Slackware Linux; MS-DOS; DR-DOS; three versions of Win98se (English,
> Greek and Hebrew) and Win2k (XP would not even touch this hardware).
> All booting from LILO and NOT interfering with each other.
> Stanislaw
> Slack user from Ulladulla.

hi stan,
why the greek & hebrew?

...Rex..

Rex wrote:

> hi stan,
> why the greek & hebrew?
>
> ..Rex..

Because Hebrew is mine primary language and I "bitch" daily about
computers with mine Greek
musician friend over a cup of Turkish coffee.
So those OS variants were available.

Stanislaw

Mike

Splendid

J Walker wrote:
> Currently, I am playing around with multi-booting a PC for later reference.
> My question is dealing with the following.
>
> Is there an efficient way to have MS-DOS, Win98SE, WinXP AND Linux ALL on a
> system and bootable without a secondary bootdiskette?
>
> I am trying to set up a machine for demonstration of differences of OS, and
> would like to have functional verions of all without having to do any
> hardware adjustments every time I want to boot into one.
>
> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic and it's
> associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for using one or the
> other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on this for
> my school portfolio.

search for sbminst.exe.
I multiboot XP, two copies of 98SE from one drive.
The second drive has linux.

But the most efficient method is to use plug-in drives.
Slam in the drive you want and go.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

"J Walker" <greyhwk@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have head about Randish Partition Management, Partition Magic
> and it's associated Boot Magic, but can only find information for
> using one or the other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98 with XP and Linux.

The "one or the other of DOS, Win95 or Win 98" is a limitation imposed by
the Microsoft method of multibooting. Stay away from the MS method, it's
far too limiting. Third-party boot managers will allow you to have as many
copies of those OSs as you want.

> Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of doing a paper on
> this for my school portfolio.

If you're going to be doing a paper, I suppose it would be beneficial to
also understand how it all works. In that case, you might find my webpage
at www.goodells.net/multiboot helpful.

"Stanislaw Flatto" <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> wrote in message

> Rex wrote:
>
> > hi stan,
> > why the greek & hebrew?
> >
> > ..Rex..
>
> Because Hebrew is mine primary language and I "bitch" daily about
> computers with mine Greek
> musician friend over a cup of Turkish coffee.
> So those OS variants were available.
>
> Stanislaw

Okay, just thought i'd ask.
I used to drink Turk coffee, then my