UPGRADE / REFORMAT QUESTION

I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
reformatting clear this out too? It was a second hand tower, and she wants
it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to install win
XP on her system? She has no installation software for it at all. Any
suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Leanna
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade reformat question

    "smilincookie" <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will
    >completly
    > reformatting clear this out too?

    Not necessarily. As Don says, FDSIK to be sure. BUT MAKE SURE that you
    write-protect the Startup floppy disk you use to perform this task.
    Otherwise it'll possibly pass a virus right on to the new installation.

    >It was a second hand tower, and she wants
    > it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to
    > install win
    > XP on her system?

    Suitable hardware. Fast PIII or later motherboard, sufficient RAM (I
    consider 512MB the minimum), etc. Find XP's System Requirements at
    Microsoft.com and then double them in most important areas (or more, as
    with the RAM.) If teh system *only_just* meets XP minimums, then the
    user would be happier with Win98 SE.

    >She has no installation software for it at all. Any
    > suggestions would be great.

    Win98SE will still be cheaper than XP. XP can be purchased in many
    places. Win98 OEM Full Install CDs can still be found at eBay. Make sure
    that the purchase includes both disk and Product Key (COA).

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "smilincookie" <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
    > reformatting clear this out too?

    Probably yes: to be more sure, use FDISK as well as FORMAT.

    > It was a second hand tower, and she wants
    > it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to install
    win
    > XP on her system? She has no installation software for it at all.

    So she must buy an instal CD. The choice between Win98 and
    WinXP depends on the peripherals and software she plans to use.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Hi Leanna,
    Does she know what virus it is? If so I try to remove it via the
    instructions form: http://www.symantec.com/search/ Because you may not
    be able to convince Mickeysoft that's your XP Disk loading an older
    machine. See if a free anti virus program like:
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5 and free anti
    spyware:
    http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
    Works for me.
    God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
    mailto:LWHughes3rd@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com/

    smilincookie wrote:
    > I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus,
    Give her two aspirins and a good rest.

    > Will completly
    > reformatting clear this out too? It was a second hand tower, and she wants
    > it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to install win
    > XP on her system? She has no installation software for it at all. Any
    > suggestions would be great.
    > Thanks
    > Leanna

    If the "second hand" box can accept XP(Xtra Problems) as it is OK,
    otherwise you both are in a lifetime project of "upgrading".
    Best stick to the "devil you know". Reformat and re-install the OS and
    applications you are familar with.

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.