URL cannot be opened from OE6

Bobster

I posted the following on the IE6/OE6 board and got no answers. Maybe some
of you helpful Win 98 MVPs have an idea or two.
TIA

Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid URL address in an email
message, the IE6 window
opens immediately but the web site never appears. It just sits and grinds
away. Previously it opened immediately (I'm on cable). Now, I have to copy
the
URL to the clipboard, then go to IE6 and paste it in the address window. It
then opens normally.

This quirk has started for no apparent reason. The only changes recently
made were a download of Firefox which I decided not to use, uninstalled
it properly using add/remove programs, followed up by find/files and
removing all vestiges of Firefox ; and also a download of PowerPoint Viewer
97, which I have uninstalled in hopes that it may have caused the trouble.
It didn't. Can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

P11 300 MHz
320 megs ram
Win98se
IE6, OE6, all updates

Have you tried IE Repair? If that fails, then do a forced reinstall of
IE 6 using Add Component from IE Repair options.

IR Repair will be found in MSINFO32.EXE, Tools menu, or by
double-clicking IE's entry in Ass/Remove Programs.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
>I posted the following on the IE6/OE6 board and got no answers. Maybe
>some
> of you helpful Win 98 MVPs have an idea or two.
> TIA

> Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid URL address in an email
> message, the IE6 window
> opens immediately but the web site never appears. It just sits and
> grinds
> away. Previously it opened immediately (I'm on cable). Now, I have
> to copy
> the
> URL to the clipboard, then go to IE6 and paste it in the address
> window. It
> then opens normally.
>
> This quirk has started for no apparent reason. The only changes
> recently
> made were a download of Firefox which I decided not to use,
> uninstalled
> it properly using add/remove programs, followed up by find/files and
> removing all vestiges of Firefox ; and also a download of PowerPoint
> Viewer
> 97, which I have uninstalled in hopes that it may have caused the
> trouble.
> It didn't. Can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions
> will be
> appreciated.
>
> P11 300 MHz
> 320 megs ram
> Win98se
> IE6, OE6, all updates

Bobster

Gary/PA Bear -- I did the IE fix to no avail. I'm reluctant (worried,
actually) to do the forced reinstall of IE6. If I do, will I get the latest
version with all the fixes? Will my cable connection have to be
re-established? Will I lose all of the customization I've done to IE6?

I also tried all the fixes identified in Q281679 and everything proved
successful except regsvr32 Shell32.dll. Instead of a success message, I got
the following,

"Shell32.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
DLLRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll
may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."

I have stopped at that point as I'm getting beyond my level of knowledge. I
don't know what PView is or if I should to try and remove Shell32.dll.

You posted to a newsgroup which is no longer carried on the Microsoft
newsserver but which other newsservers continue to carry in error (i.e.,
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlookexpress).

The OE6-specific newsgroup is:

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

The IE6-specific newsgroup is

microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

That being said...

1. You click on a link in an OE message and an IE window doesn't even open:

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

2. You click on a link in an OE message and an IE window opens but it
doesn't load:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click on a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
(re-register all DLLs listed in this KB article)

Installing the latest Cumulative Patch for IE may solve the problem as a
side-effect. Check in at Windows Update.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

> Gary/PA Bear -- I did the IE fix to no avail. I'm reluctant (worried,
> actually) to do the forced reinstall of IE6. If I do, will I get the
> latest
> version with all the fixes? Will my cable connection have to be
> re-established? Will I lose all of the customization I've done to
> IE6?

No, you get the version that you currently have installed. AFAIK, you
don't lose any Updates. Customizations (whatever you mean by that) are
slightly less guaranteed to make it through--but it depends on what you
mean by customization. If, in fact, your customizations fall into the
categories suggested in the KB article, then I would bet that this
repair will disable whatever customization is at fault for the original
foul-up.

> I also tried all the fixes identified in Q281679 and everything proved
> successful except regsvr32 Shell32.dll. Instead of a success message,
> I got
> the following,
>
> "Shell32.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not
> found.
> DLLRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of
> Shell32.dll
> may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."
>
> I have stopped at that point as I'm getting beyond my level of
> knowledge. I
> don't know what PView is or if I should to try and remove Shell32.dll.

Have you tried again, after restarting? If so, then it *may* be that
Shell32.dll is corrupt. The place to extract a new Shell32.dll file is
from the latest IE installation you have--which is why forced reinstall
is suggested. You *can* extract a new Shell32.dll file using SFC,
pointing it to the directory where your IE installation resides, but
your IE store may have more than one version (for different versions of
Windows.) Do some research, first, making sure that you still have a
problem, for one thing, and that you can't register Shell32.dll, and to
make sure only one copy of Shell43.dll resides in your IE installation
files (usually "C:\Windows Update Setup Files")

Myself, I'd prefer the forced reinstall.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> IR Repair will be found in MSINFO32.EXE, Tools menu, or by double-clicking
> IE's entry in Ass/Remove Programs.

Never did get that spell checker fixed, dija! <S>

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

<grumble, grumble>Freakin' thing has a mind of its own I tell ya!

Think I'll get any queries back as to what I *did* mean?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> IR Repair will be found in MSINFO32.EXE, Tools menu, or by
>> double-clicking IE's entry in Ass/Remove Programs.
>
> Never did get that spell checker fixed, dija! <S>
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

PView = Process Viewer, which I don't think you want to be using it if you are
not versed in programming which I believe it is used for. One wrong click and
you could create more issues.
You can read on it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/vcug98/html/_ASUG_Overview_PView.asp

I can't say if it would be too late, but you may want to try a registry restore
if it has been less than 5 boot days since you installed FF.
Boot to DOS, type the below at the prompt and press Enter:

scanreg /restore (*note the space before / )

If available, select a date prior to FF install to restore.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> Gary/PA Bear -- I did the IE fix to no avail. I'm reluctant (worried,
> actually) to do the forced reinstall of IE6. If I do, will I get the latest
> version with all the fixes? Will my cable connection have to be
> re-established? Will I lose all of the customization I've done to IE6?
>
> I also tried all the fixes identified in Q281679 and everything proved
> successful except regsvr32 Shell32.dll. Instead of a success message, I got
> the following,
>
> "Shell32.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
> DLLRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll
> may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."
>
> I have stopped at that point as I'm getting beyond my level of knowledge. I
> don't know what PView is or if I should to try and remove Shell32.dll.

Prolly, yet now you're open to ????????! <VBEG>

--

> <grumble, grumble>Freakin' thing has a mind of its own I tell ya!
>
> Think I'll get any queries back as to what I *did* mean?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> IR Repair will be found in MSINFO32.EXE, Tools menu, or by double-clicking
>>> IE's entry in Ass/Remove Programs.
>>
>> Never did get that spell checker fixed, dija! <S>
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Yikes!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > IR Repair will be found in MSINFO32.EXE, Tools menu, or by
double-clicking
| > IE's entry in Ass/Remove Programs.
|
| Never did get that spell checker fixed, dija! <S>
|

| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Bobster

Gary,
I did all the things you suggested.
1) Yes, I have tried again after restarting
2) I couldn't find shell43.dll. Was it a typo?
3) I found multiple shell32.dll files on both C & D hard drives. Deleted
all but the one in
C:\Windows\System. They're still in the recycle bin if I need to
retrieve them.
4) Since none of the above solved the problem, I did a forced reinstall of
IE6. It seemed to preserve all my settings but did not solve the problem.
When trying to "run" regsvr32 Shell32.dll, I still get the error message
that the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

Two new quirks have been noted:
1) When I click on a hyperlink (URL) in an OE6 email message, I get a blank
window as before.
The address window is also blank so it just grinds away. However, if I
press the STOP button, I get an "action cancelled" message, the URL now
appears in the address window and if I then hit go or enter, the URL loads!
I think this was probably the case before the forced reinstall but I just
didn't notice it.
2) After the forced reinstall I checked the Windows update site, found that
2 critical items (KB883939 and KB837009) which were previously installed
were now shown as not installed. When I tried to reinstall them, the
download box appeared but they would not download, and after hitting
cancel, got a message, "IE has encountered an error and needs to close".
This also may have been present before the forced reinstall and is likely
related to the original problem.

The problem appears to me to be related to either a corrupt shell32.dll or
the inability of shell32.dll to connect with the DllRegisterServer and I
don't know how to make that connection. I haven't tried to extract a new
shell32.dll using SFC. Should that be my next thing to try. What happens
if I delete the remaining shell32.dll and do another forced reinstall of
IE6? Any other suggestions will be appreciated

> "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> > Gary/PA Bear -- I did the IE fix to no avail. I'm reluctant (worried,
> > actually) to do the forced reinstall of IE6. If I do, will I get the
> > latest
> > version with all the fixes? Will my cable connection have to be
> > re-established? Will I lose all of the customization I've done to
> > IE6?
>
> No, you get the version that you currently have installed. AFAIK, you
> don't lose any Updates. Customizations (whatever you mean by that) are
> slightly less guaranteed to make it through--but it depends on what you
> mean by customization. If, in fact, your customizations fall into the
> categories suggested in the KB article, then I would bet that this
> repair will disable whatever customization is at fault for the original
> foul-up.
>
> > I also tried all the fixes identified in Q281679 and everything proved
> > successful except regsvr32 Shell32.dll. Instead of a success message,
> > I got
> > the following,
> >
> > "Shell32.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not
> > found.
> > DLLRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of
> > Shell32.dll
> > may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it."
> >
> > I have stopped at that point as I'm getting beyond my level of
> > knowledge. I
> > don't know what PView is or if I should to try and remove Shell32.dll.
>
> Have you tried again, after restarting? If so, then it *may* be that
> Shell32.dll is corrupt. The place to extract a new Shell32.dll file is
> from the latest IE installation you have--which is why forced reinstall
> is suggested. You *can* extract a new Shell32.dll file using SFC,
> pointing it to the directory where your IE installation resides, but
> your IE store may have more than one version (for different versions of
> Windows.) Do some research, first, making sure that you still have a
> problem, for one thing, and that you can't register Shell32.dll, and to
> make sure only one copy of Shell43.dll resides in your IE installation
> files (usually "C:\Windows Update Setup Files")
>
> Myself, I'd prefer the forced reinstall.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

I have one only and that is in Windows\System
That file was last updated with this:
Security Update, March 7, 2002
Download size: 834 KB
This update resolves the "Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Lead to
Code Execution" security vulnerability in Windows 98 and is discussed in
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-014

I also don't think 98x supports regsvr for that file, only Win2k and later.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure.
--
mae

> [...]
| > > knowledge. I
| > > don't know what PView is or if I should to try and remove Shell32.dll.
| >
| > Have you tried again, after restarting? If so, then it *may* be that
| > Shell32.dll is corrupt. The place to extract a new Shell32.dll file is
| > from the latest IE installation you have--which is why forced reinstall
| > is suggested. You *can* extract a new Shell32.dll file using SFC,
| > pointing it to the directory where your IE installation resides, but
| > your IE store may have more than one version (for different versions of
| > Windows.) Do some research, first, making sure that you still have a
| > problem, for one thing, and that you can't register Shell32.dll, and to
| > make sure only one copy of Shell43.dll resides in your IE installation
| > files (usually "C:\Windows Update Setup Files")
| >
| > Myself, I'd prefer the forced reinstall.

Bobster:

1. Have you checked in at Windows Update yet and installed all Critical
Updates offered?

2. If still no joy with all Criticals installed, try overinstalling IE6:

First, close *everything* via CTRL+ALT+DEL except Windows Explorer (includes
your anti-virus [AV] program, Scheduled Tasks, Screensaver, and going
offline). Start>Run>IE6Setup.exe. Select Minimal - Custom; Select all the
parts you use, including OE (but none you didn't originally download) and
overinstall. Should take about 2 minutes. Reboot the computer.

Now, with AV and all other running processes still closed, check in at
Windows Update for additional updates and patches you will need.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com