Windows Protection Error

We had a power outage and when my daughter tried to restart her computer she
is getting a "windows protection error. restart computer" It will open in
safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support suggestions of
trying different boot options, none work. I tried opening with the start up
disk, didn't work. I really don't know what to try. Any suggestions? Thank
you.
14 answers Last reply
More about windows protection error

    I also forgot to add that she is not connected to the internet in any way.
    So I have ruled out spyware and viruses.

    "Frustrated Mom" <Frustrated Mom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > We had a power outage and when my daughter tried to restart her computer
    she
    > is getting a "windows protection error. restart computer" It will open
    in
    > safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support suggestions of
    > trying different boot options, none work. I tried opening with the start
    up
    > disk, didn't work. I really don't know what to try. Any suggestions?
    Thank

    1. Your booting floppy ought to work always:
    but all floppy drives die sooner or later, so test
    (perhaps on other PCs) to confrm both that
    driive A: is in working order and that you have
    the right booting floppy (available free from
    www.bootdisk.com: you download one selected
    EXE file, then run it to write all the DOS files
    onto a new floppy.) Anyone with the right
    screwdriver can instal a new A: drive.

    2. Power failures commonly cause so much
    (software) damage as to require reinstalling
    Windows. Be prepared for this. Study beforehand
    the aumha web site or
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/how_to.html

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    hi man/mom,

    You mentioned trying to Open with the start-up disk, then said
    'it didnt work'; Can you elaborate as to what happened or what
    you did directly after inserting the start-up disk?

    ...Rex..

    "> safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support suggestions
    of
    > trying different boot options, none work. I tried opening with the start
    up
    > disk, didn't work. I really don't know what to try. Any suggestions?
    Thank
    > you.

    Rex,

    I have never had to use the start up before so I don't really know what I am
    doing. I inserted the disk and started the computer. I used the "CD Rom
    option" and inserted the Windows 98 disk. Regardless of what drive I entered
    by going c: etc... It kept saying that drive E is not ready, abort, fail,
    retry? When I ran the File Checker though safe mode (not easy without a
    mouse) there seemed to be a problem with setupx.dll. I thought if I could
    extract that file it would fix the problem.
    "Rex" wrote:

    > hi man/mom,
    >
    > You mentioned trying to Open with the start-up disk, then said
    > 'it didnt work'; Can you elaborate as to what happened or what
    > you did directly after inserting the start-up disk?
    >
    > ...Rex..
    >

    > "> safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support suggestions
    > of
    > > trying different boot options, none work. I tried opening with the start
    > up
    > > disk, didn't work. I really don't know what to try. Any suggestions?
    > Thank
    > > you.

    Setupx.dll isn't the problem, and unless you've been religious about
    updating System File Checker's database *every* time you installed a new
    program or Windows Update or any such thing, SFC is worse than useless.
    Let's concentrate on what you can and can't do before attempting and
    "fixes", since some "fixes" that might come to mind are likely to make
    the problem worse, not better.

    Let's verify what we know:

    You can boot all the way into Safe Mode, but Normal Mode gives a Windows
    Protection error, correct?

    You can boot to the Windows Startup floppy disk, with CD Support but
    cannot read Drive E. That's your CD drive? Can you read drive C:\ from
    the startup floppy disk?

    Sounds as if *maybe* your CDROM drive is damaged. If you're game to open
    up the case, you might try disabling the CDROM drive by unplugging its
    power cable (smaller plug with four or five wires.) Be sure to *unplug*
    the entire system from power cable before digging around in there. Does
    Windows boot to normal mode now?

    One other reasonably safe bet is that the Registry may have been
    damaged. Try restoring a backup by choosing "Command Prompt Only" from
    the Startup menu instead of Safe Mode. Run the following commands:

    SMARTDRV
    SCANREG /restore

    Choose the most recent backup (which will presumably be the last one
    made before the power outage.) Choose by date/time, not filename.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Frustrated Mom" <FrustratedMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:FB79CBC4-2896-4DAE-9554-5CD11DFB2B4D@microsoft.com...
    > I have never had to use the start up before so I don't really know
    > what I am
    > doing. I inserted the disk and started the computer. I used the "CD
    > Rom
    > option" and inserted the Windows 98 disk. Regardless of what drive I
    > entered
    > by going c: etc... It kept saying that drive E is not ready, abort,
    > fail,
    > retry? When I ran the File Checker though safe mode (not easy without
    > mouse) there seemed to be a problem with setupx.dll. I thought if I
    > could
    > extract that file it would fix the problem.
    > "Rex" wrote:
    >
    >> hi man/mom,
    >>
    >> You mentioned trying to Open with the start-up disk, then said
    >> 'it didnt work'; Can you elaborate as to what happened or what
    >> you did directly after inserting the start-up disk?
    >>
    >> ...Rex..
    >>

    >> "> safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support
    >> suggestions
    >> of
    >> > trying different boot options, none work. I tried opening with the
    >> > start
    >> up
    >> > disk, didn't work. I really don't know what to try. Any
    >> > suggestions?
    >> Thank
    >> > you.

    If you only have drive C: and no other HDs or partitions/volumes, then in short
    it should assign the CD drive D:.
    When you boot with the boot disk it assigns the CD drive a letter at the end of
    boot, what drive letter is it assigned?

    Once you know the assigned letter, try typing the assigned letter at the prompt
    and press enter. Then see if you can read the contents of the CD by using the
    DIR command.

    At the prompt type and press Enter after each:

    AssignedLetter:
    dir (*or you can type: dir AssignedLetter: )

    The above is only to see if you can read the CD drive contents, I don't suggest
    using it for anything other as of yet, first try Gary's suggestions.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Setupx.dll isn't the problem, and unless you've been religious about
    > updating System File Checker's database *every* time you installed a new
    > program or Windows Update or any such thing, SFC is worse than useless.

    (just as an FYI - I have learned to do that. I hope many people do, as it
    can sure save some potential headaches later, in some cases. That, and
    making a registry backup just prior to installing a new program).

    Good to see you back Gary.

    --

    > Setupx.dll isn't the problem, and unless you've been religious about updating
    > System File Checker's database *every* time you installed a new program or
    > Windows Update or any such thing, SFC is worse than useless. Let's concentrate
    > on what you can and can't do before attempting and "fixes", since some "fixes"
    > that might come to mind are likely to make the problem worse, not better.
    >
    > Let's verify what we know:
    >
    > You can boot all the way into Safe Mode, but Normal Mode gives a Windows
    > Protection error, correct?
    >
    > You can boot to the Windows Startup floppy disk, with CD Support but cannot
    > read Drive E. That's your CD drive? Can you read drive C:\ from the startup
    > floppy disk?
    >
    > Sounds as if *maybe* your CDROM drive is damaged. If you're game to open up
    > the case, you might try disabling the CDROM drive by unplugging its power
    > cable (smaller plug with four or five wires.) Be sure to *unplug* the entire
    > system from power cable before digging around in there. Does Windows boot to
    > normal mode now?
    >
    > One other reasonably safe bet is that the Registry may have been damaged. Try
    > restoring a backup by choosing "Command Prompt Only" from the Startup menu
    > instead of Safe Mode. Run the following commands:
    >
    > SMARTDRV
    > SCANREG /restore
    >
    > Choose the most recent backup (which will presumably be the last one made
    > before the power outage.) Choose by date/time, not filename.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Frustrated Mom" <FrustratedMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I have never had to use the start up before so I don't really know what I am
    >> doing. I inserted the disk and started the computer. I used the "CD Rom
    >> option" and inserted the Windows 98 disk. Regardless of what drive I entered
    >> by going c: etc... It kept saying that drive E is not ready, abort, fail,
    >> retry? When I ran the File Checker though safe mode (not easy without a
    >> mouse) there seemed to be a problem with setupx.dll. I thought if I could
    >> extract that file it would fix the problem.
    >> "Rex" wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi man/mom,
    >>>
    >>> You mentioned trying to Open with the start-up disk, then said
    >>> 'it didnt work'; Can you elaborate as to what happened or what
    >>> you did directly after inserting the start-up disk?
    >>>
    >>> ...Rex..
    >>>

    >>> "> safe mode but with no mouse. I've gone through the support suggestions
    >>> of
    >>> up
    >>> Thank

    Good to be back, Brian. Thanks.

    pssst.... wasn't Bill Blanton *already* an MVP? ;>)

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Good to see you back Gary.

    Not according to our leads email unless it's a slipup.

    --

    > Good to be back, Brian. Thanks.
    >
    > pssst.... wasn't Bill Blanton *already* an MVP? ;>)
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Good to see you back Gary.

    I know. I was referring to my own reaction when I first heard of Bill's
    nomination, <s>.

    --

    > Not according to our leads email unless it's a slipup.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    >> Good to be back, Brian. Thanks.
    >>
    >> pssst.... wasn't Bill Blanton *already* an MVP? ;>)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary S. Terhune
    >> MS MVP Shell/User
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    >> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    >>
    >> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >>> Good to see you back Gary.

    Please excuse me 'mom',

    In my prior reply I referred to you as /man.
    For some reason, as i replied to you, I looked
    my outlook screen and saw the name of a poster whose
    name had "man" in it, and for some stupid reason I thought
    it was a part of your name....
    Again, please excuse me, its late.

    ...Rex..

    Nothing worked so I reinstalled Windows as a new Windowsb. When I just tried
    to reinstall it still had the same error. Now it's like starting over with
    new Windows. Thank you for all of your suggestions.

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    | > Setupx.dll isn't the problem, and unless you've been religious about
    | > updating System File Checker's database *every* time you installed a new
    | > program or Windows Update or any such thing, SFC is worse than useless.
    |
    | (just as an FYI - I have learned to do that. I hope many people do, as
    it
    | can sure save some potential headaches later, in some cases. That, and
    | making a registry backup just prior to installing a new program).

    Me too since the very first day.
    Never used it but once or twice to restore a file.
    I am still looking for something similar for XP.
    Not for restoring but just for my records to know whats happening..

    --snip-
    | > "Frustrated Mom" <FrustratedMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | > message news:FB79CBC4-2896-4DAE-9554-5CD11DFB2B4D@microsoft.com...
    --snip-