Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing New Hard Drive

Tags:
  • Partition
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:50:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic into
D:,E:and F.

I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK for a
FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore an image
made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition as it
restores the image.

More about : installing hard drive

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:40:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

MedRxMan wrote:
> My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
> A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic into
> D:,E:and F.
>
> I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK for a
> FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore an image
> made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition as it
> restores the image.

Yes, but... there are better ways and reasons.
For instance with FAT32 it's best to keep your OS C:\ partition under 8GB not
only for best 4k cluster size efficiency, but as well for an OS you don't
need anymore than 8GB anyway and besides it is so much faster to defrag it,
etc... all of your non-os programs and storage is much better kept on D:\
for storage; also since you are using DriveImage or any imager program you
need a place to store your backup images of C:\ anyway! ..so since you can't
store them on C:\ you need to put them on D:\ ..iow, make your C:\ 7GB and
your D:\ whatever is leftover.

Instead of letting DriveImage decide, so since you already have Partition
Magic then use it to make it to split up the 40 GB as indicated, and then
might as well Fresh Install your W98SE to it. Partition Magic can Format &
Partition etc everything you need to do all in one app..

Rick
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:44:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

I just completed a fresh install of Windows98SE of the current C:.
Every thing is now working great. The reason for a new HDD is due to some
recent signs of a failing hard drive. Do not have much data on the C drive
as I do store most of my Data on the second hard Drive D:

If I purchase a 40GB HD and use PM to partition the new HD into 2 equal 20GB
partitions, how will that effect my current HD letter assignment.on My
second HDD which is currently D:E:F.

Do I correctly assume the new lettering (after partitioning the new 40GB HD
into 2 equal partitions) will now be:
C:D :E:F:G ?

Thanks,
BL
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
news:o nFmO89fFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> MedRxMan wrote:
> > My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
> > A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic into
> > D:,E:and F.
> >
> > I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK for a
> > FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore an
image
> > made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition as
it
> > restores the image.
>
> Yes, but... there are better ways and reasons.
> For instance with FAT32 it's best to keep your OS C:\ partition under 8GB
not
> only for best 4k cluster size efficiency, but as well for an OS you don't
> need anymore than 8GB anyway and besides it is so much faster to defrag
it,
> etc... all of your non-os programs and storage is much better kept on D:\
> for storage; also since you are using DriveImage or any imager program you
> need a place to store your backup images of C:\ anyway! ..so since you
can't
> store them on C:\ you need to put them on D:\ ..iow, make your C:\ 7GB
and
> your D:\ whatever is leftover.
>
> Instead of letting DriveImage decide, so since you already have Partition
> Magic then use it to make it to split up the 40 GB as indicated, and then
> might as well Fresh Install your W98SE to it. Partition Magic can Format
&
> Partition etc everything you need to do all in one app..
>
> Rick
>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:44:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Depends... Are the partitions on your "D" drive (the second hard drive)
Primary partitions or is it an Extended Partition with three Volumes
inside it?

What Rick said, however, has serious merit. Keep the OS partition at max
8GB/FAT32. Here's my standard setup for a system like yours. All
partitions are FAT32. Assumes you have no desire to multi-boot.

HDD0 (your new one, which, by the way, is only ~37.5 GB measured in
software terms)

Partition 1 = 8GB Primary
The rest of the disk as Extended Partition with the following Volumes:
--4 GB D:\ TEMP (for TEMP and Temporary Internet Files, etc.)
--8 GB (max) E:\PROGRAMS (program files, like OS files, should be on
FAT32 partition(s) no larger than 8GB)
--12 GB F:\DATA (personal data stores, My Documents, email storage,
etc.)
--Remainder of ~5-6 GB for storage of program installation files,
whether downloaded or moved to HD from other media for faster access
(like it's wise to do with MS Office installation files before
installing.)

Your second hard drive should be reserved for backup storage, at least,
or perhaps further large-file storage if needed. You might not need 8GB
for Programs, and 2GB is usually enough for TEMP unless you make it the
WinZip TEMP environment and then proceed to build a 2GB WinZip file.
I've found myself cramped on occasion with only 2GB for TEMP, but 4 has
always been plenty comfy.

We still don't know how your remaining good HD (second one) is arranged,
but if you're really emotionally invested in keeping those in order,
consider copying your current D, E, and F partitions to the new drive
(in an Extended partition after the 8 GB OS partition), then make the
second drive one big Extended partition, chop off a small "G" partition
for TEMP and use the rest for backup storage, etc.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23iLhwY%23fFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I just completed a fresh install of Windows98SE of the current C:.
> Every thing is now working great. The reason for a new HDD is due to
> some
> recent signs of a failing hard drive. Do not have much data on the C
> drive
> as I do store most of my Data on the second hard Drive D:
>
> If I purchase a 40GB HD and use PM to partition the new HD into 2
> equal 20GB
> partitions, how will that effect my current HD letter assignment.on My
> second HDD which is currently D:E:F.
>
> Do I correctly assume the new lettering (after partitioning the new
> 40GB HD
> into 2 equal partitions) will now be:
> C:D :E:F:G ?
>
> Thanks,
> BL
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> news:o nFmO89fFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> MedRxMan wrote:
>> > My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
>> > A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic
>> > into
>> > D:,E:and F.
>> >
>> > I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK
>> > for a
>> > FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore
>> > an
> image
>> > made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition
>> > as
> it
>> > restores the image.
>>
>> Yes, but... there are better ways and reasons.
>> For instance with FAT32 it's best to keep your OS C:\ partition under
>> 8GB
> not
>> only for best 4k cluster size efficiency, but as well for an OS you
>> don't
>> need anymore than 8GB anyway and besides it is so much faster to
>> defrag
> it,
>> etc... all of your non-os programs and storage is much better kept
>> on D:\
>> for storage; also since you are using DriveImage or any imager
>> program you
>> need a place to store your backup images of C:\ anyway! ..so since
>> you
> can't
>> store them on C:\ you need to put them on D:\ ..iow, make your C:\
>> 7GB
> and
>> your D:\ whatever is leftover.
>>
>> Instead of letting DriveImage decide, so since you already have
>> Partition
>> Magic then use it to make it to split up the 40 GB as indicated, and
>> then
>> might as well Fresh Install your W98SE to it. Partition Magic can
>> Format
> &
>> Partition etc everything you need to do all in one app..
>>
>> Rick
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:27:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

MedRxMan wrote:
> I just completed a fresh install of Windows98SE of the current C:.
> Every thing is now working great. The reason for a new HDD is due to some
> recent signs of a failing hard drive. Do not have much data on the C drive

That's great then you have not much data on your C and is as it should be.
Mine fully loaded only takes up a few GB even though I have it set as a 7 GB
partition on a 250GB hard drive

> as I do store most of my Data on the second hard Drive D:
>
> If I purchase a 40GB HD and use PM to partition the new HD into 2 equal

Staples had a 60 GB Maxtor 7200 rpm on sale for $40 last week.
Usually you can get an 80 GB for $69 ...heck they had a 120 GB 7200 rpm 2 mb
cache drives last month for $79. I can't stress enough why but spend the
extra $10 now and get the bigger drive and smile about why you did the right
thing down the road.


> 20GB partitions, how will that effect my current HD letter assignment.on My

Your letter assignments are automatic and they will just move down the line
in order. However like on mine I have changed my cdrw and selected it to be
drive W (for write) , and my dvd/cd rom I can that call it drive R (for read)
...my zip drive called drive Z for zip - this way as I add and swap drives of
with varying partitions I can always count on my utility drives to be called
R, W, & Z ..just makes that part convenient ..for me anyway

> second HDD which is currently D:E:F.
>
> Do I correctly assume the new lettering (after partitioning the new 40GB HD
> into 2 equal partitions) will now be:
> C:D :E:F:G ?

Whatever falls in letter line yes.
I'm not sure why you are mentioning splitting it in 2 equal 20 GB partitions
when I've already given you in my last post exceptional reasons why best to
keep the C:\ OS partition under 8 GB !!! I can't stress that enough - you'll
see. Also my point for mentioning getting an 80 or 120 GB drive is many
fold. For one thing forget about running two drives at once - it's a waste
of energy and the value is what? Go with 1 larger hd and divvy up the
partitions as much as you like and be done with fooling with running two ATA
hard drives.

I myself have two identical duplicate hard drives yes, but I use the
second Only for backup, and, using Drive Image I will once a month I will
plug in the 2nd hard drive and DriveImage 'Disk to Disk' one hard drive to
the other as an exact duplicate, then unplug it and put in my sock draw in
case I really need it which that offers an unparalleled safety of a fully
bootable exact physical backup replacement of my main drive... etc...

Rick
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:53:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

New drive installed..running well after resolving problems with Maxtor
installation disk adding a DDO. See later post "new hard drive problem"

All OK now.
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23kTcg3$fFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Depends... Are the partitions on your "D" drive (the second hard drive)
> Primary partitions or is it an Extended Partition with three Volumes
> inside it?
>
> What Rick said, however, has serious merit. Keep the OS partition at max
> 8GB/FAT32. Here's my standard setup for a system like yours. All
> partitions are FAT32. Assumes you have no desire to multi-boot.
>
> HDD0 (your new one, which, by the way, is only ~37.5 GB measured in
> software terms)
>
> Partition 1 = 8GB Primary
> The rest of the disk as Extended Partition with the following Volumes:
> --4 GB D:\ TEMP (for TEMP and Temporary Internet Files, etc.)
> --8 GB (max) E:\PROGRAMS (program files, like OS files, should be on FAT32
> partition(s) no larger than 8GB)
> --12 GB F:\DATA (personal data stores, My Documents, email storage, etc.)
> --Remainder of ~5-6 GB for storage of program installation files, whether
> downloaded or moved to HD from other media for faster access (like it's
> wise to do with MS Office installation files before installing.)
>
> Your second hard drive should be reserved for backup storage, at least, or
> perhaps further large-file storage if needed. You might not need 8GB for
> Programs, and 2GB is usually enough for TEMP unless you make it the WinZip
> TEMP environment and then proceed to build a 2GB WinZip file. I've found
> myself cramped on occasion with only 2GB for TEMP, but 4 has always been
> plenty comfy.
>
> We still don't know how your remaining good HD (second one) is arranged,
> but if you're really emotionally invested in keeping those in order,
> consider copying your current D, E, and F partitions to the new drive (in
> an Extended partition after the 8 GB OS partition), then make the second
> drive one big Extended partition, chop off a small "G" partition for TEMP
> and use the rest for backup storage, etc.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:%23iLhwY%23fFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>I just completed a fresh install of Windows98SE of the current C:.
>> Every thing is now working great. The reason for a new HDD is due to some
>> recent signs of a failing hard drive. Do not have much data on the C
>> drive
>> as I do store most of my Data on the second hard Drive D:
>>
>> If I purchase a 40GB HD and use PM to partition the new HD into 2 equal
>> 20GB
>> partitions, how will that effect my current HD letter assignment.on My
>> second HDD which is currently D:E:F.
>>
>> Do I correctly assume the new lettering (after partitioning the new 40GB
>> HD
>> into 2 equal partitions) will now be:
>> C:D :E:F:G ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> BL
>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> news:o nFmO89fFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> MedRxMan wrote:
>>> > My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
>>> > A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic into
>>> > D:,E:and F.
>>> >
>>> > I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK for
>>> > a
>>> > FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore an
>> image
>>> > made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition as
>> it
>>> > restores the image.
>>>
>>> Yes, but... there are better ways and reasons.
>>> For instance with FAT32 it's best to keep your OS C:\ partition under
>>> 8GB
>> not
>>> only for best 4k cluster size efficiency, but as well for an OS you
>>> don't
>>> need anymore than 8GB anyway and besides it is so much faster to defrag
>> it,
>>> etc... all of your non-os programs and storage is much better kept on
>>> D:\
>>> for storage; also since you are using DriveImage or any imager program
>>> you
>>> need a place to store your backup images of C:\ anyway! ..so since you
>> can't
>>> store them on C:\ you need to put them on D:\ ..iow, make your C:\ 7GB
>> and
>>> your D:\ whatever is leftover.
>>>
>>> Instead of letting DriveImage decide, so since you already have
>>> Partition
>>> Magic then use it to make it to split up the 40 GB as indicated, and
>>> then
>>> might as well Fresh Install your W98SE to it. Partition Magic can
>>> Format
>> &
>>> Partition etc everything you need to do all in one app..
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 10:47:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uXj$LZ9fFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My Windows98 SE PC currently has 2 hard drives installed.
> A 29 GB C: and a 40GB second drive partioned with partiton magic into
> D:,E:and F.
>
> I want to replace my C:..Can I install a 40GB hard Drive and FDISK for a
> FAT32 and use the entire 40GB space as one partition, then restore an
image
> made with Drive image and allow Drive image to resize the partition as it
> restores the image.
>
>
>

Create an 8GB primary partition on the new 40GB, then do whatever with the
remainder of the drive that you want with PM. Delete the 8GB partition.
Restore the DI partition to the 8GB empty space, assuming this is your
windows partition. If the data in that restoration is less the 8GB,
including a potential swapfile that isn't saved in the image file, it'll
work.

Pull the 27GB hard drive before attempting to bootup. Place the new 40GB in
the same place and configuration as your previous 27GB on the ribbon cable.

DI needs no partition to restore to, just empty space.
!