Error 59

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have been running a wireless pci card for about 6 weeks with no issues on
win 98se.

Suddenly getting the following error message upon boot: The following error
occurred while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has
occured.

I have made no changes, new downlaods, etc prior to this error occurring.

Thanks,

Danny

Try changing the computer name, in Control Panel> Network> Identification> Computer
Name, then click OK and reboot. make sure the computer name you choose has no more
than 15 characters and does *not* include any spaces.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been running a wireless pci card for about 6 weeks with no issues on
> win 98se.
>
> Suddenly getting the following error message upon boot: The following error
> occurred while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has
> occured.
>
> I have made no changes, new downlaods, etc prior to this error occurring.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Glen,

Thanks for the quick help! Well, I thought we had it, but things have
gotten interesting.

The first time I changed the cpu name, and rebooted, it came back up with no
error and all was well. I rebooted again and same error. I repeated this
cycle 3 times, during which I had disabled by wirless pci card during startup.

After a renaming, I enabled the card and all was well. Rebooting again found
a windows error stating there was a problem with the pci card. Renaming then
rebooting found all things working again. Of course you can guess what
happened when I rebooted again!

Danny

"glee" wrote:

> Try changing the computer name, in Control Panel> Network> Identification> Computer
> Name, then click OK and reboot. make sure the computer name you choose has no more
> than 15 characters and does *not* include any spaces.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have been running a wireless pci card for about 6 weeks with no issues on
> > win 98se.
> >
> > Suddenly getting the following error message upon boot: The following error
> > occurred while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has
> > occured.
> >
> > I have made no changes, new downlaods, etc prior to this error occurring.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Danny

<yuck>.... and your computer name is 15 characters or less, with no spaces in the
name; and your computer name is not used by any other computer on the network?

Since I am not a networking wiz, I suggest you post this to a networking group
unless someone pops in with more networking experience. I was hoping that would fix
it for you......
--

> Glen,
>
> Thanks for the quick help! Well, I thought we had it, but things have
> gotten interesting.
>
> The first time I changed the cpu name, and rebooted, it came back up with no
> error and all was well. I rebooted again and same error. I repeated this
> cycle 3 times, during which I had disabled by wirless pci card during startup.
>
> After a renaming, I enabled the card and all was well. Rebooting again found
> a windows error stating there was a problem with the pci card. Renaming then
> rebooting found all things working again. Of course you can guess what
> happened when I rebooted again!
>
> Danny
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Try changing the computer name, in Control Panel> Network> Identification>
Computer
> > Name, then click OK and reboot. make sure the computer name you choose has no
more
> > than 15 characters and does *not* include any spaces.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been running a wireless pci card for about 6 weeks with no issues on
> > > win 98se.
> > >
> > > Suddenly getting the following error message upon boot: The following error
> > > occurred while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has
> > > occured.
> > >
> > > I have made no changes, new downlaods, etc prior to this error occurring.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Glen,

Yes, yes & yes!

I reposted to the networking area. This is a starnge one. I am wondering
if the issue is with the ethernet adaptor. Will also re run virus scan, just
in case!

Thanks for the assistance.

Danny

"glee" wrote:

> <yuck>.... and your computer name is 15 characters or less, with no spaces in the
> name; and your computer name is not used by any other computer on the network?
>
> Since I am not a networking wiz, I suggest you post this to a networking group
> unless someone pops in with more networking experience. I was hoping that would fix
> it for you......
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Glen,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick help! Well, I thought we had it, but things have
> > gotten interesting.
> >
> > The first time I changed the cpu name, and rebooted, it came back up with no
> > error and all was well. I rebooted again and same error. I repeated this
> > cycle 3 times, during which I had disabled by wirless pci card during startup.
> >
> > After a renaming, I enabled the card and all was well. Rebooting again found
> > a windows error stating there was a problem with the pci card. Renaming then
> > rebooting found all things working again. Of course you can guess what
> > happened when I rebooted again!
> >
> > Danny
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > Try changing the computer name, in Control Panel> Network> Identification>
> Computer
> > > Name, then click OK and reboot. make sure the computer name you choose has no
> more
> > > than 15 characters and does *not* include any spaces.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It could be an issue with the NIC. As I said, I am no networking guru. I did see a
couple of references to the error when I googled it, and in at least one case
replacing the NIC fixed it....although in another case my renaming suggestion fixed
it. :p
Please let us know if the networking folks figure it out.
--

> Glen,
>
> Yes, yes & yes!
>
> I reposted to the networking area. This is a starnge one. I am wondering
> if the issue is with the ethernet adaptor. Will also re run virus scan, just
> in case!
>
> Thanks for the assistance.
>
> Danny
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > <yuck>.... and your computer name is 15 characters or less, with no spaces in
the
> > name; and your computer name is not used by any other computer on the network?
> >
> > Since I am not a networking wiz, I suggest you post this to a networking group
> > unless someone pops in with more networking experience. I was hoping that would
fix
> > it for you......
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Glen,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the quick help! Well, I thought we had it, but things have
> > > gotten interesting.
> > >
> > > The first time I changed the cpu name, and rebooted, it came back up with no
> > > error and all was well. I rebooted again and same error. I repeated this
> > > cycle 3 times, during which I had disabled by wirless pci card during startup.
> > >
> > > After a renaming, I enabled the card and all was well. Rebooting again found
> > > a windows error stating there was a problem with the pci card. Renaming then
> > > rebooting found all things working again. Of course you can guess what
> > > happened when I rebooted again!
> > >
> > > Danny

> > Computer
> > more

Do you have a firewall? If so disable it to see if the problem is resolved, if
it is you need to check it's configuration.

Troubleshooting Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Network Connection Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q192534/

Err Msg: Error 59: An Unexpected Network Error Has Occurred
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q121913/

WFWG Err Msg: Error 59: An Unexpected Network Error...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B108077

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been running a wireless pci card for about 6 weeks with no issues on
> win 98se.
>
> Suddenly getting the following error message upon boot: The following error
> occurred while loading protocol number 1. Error 59: A network error has
> occured.
>
> I have made no changes, new downlaods, etc prior to this error occurring.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Glen,

Not sure what it all means, but here is what I found so far.

A few more reboots found an error messge indicating that my DLink wireless
pci adaptor was not functioning, error 10. The wireless card has been
functioning well for 45 days. A call to DLink Tech support found that an
error ten means the card is dead, at least according to them. After I
physically removed the card, the error 59 messge was coming up again!. A
look found that the wireless card was still listed under network adaptors,
even though it had been removed. When I removed the reference and rebooted,
all error messages ceased, Two more reboots and no error messages.

We will see wht happens when the new card arrives. I will also see if it is
the pci slot is the issue as the new card should eliminate an issues with the
card vs slot vs ???!

Thanks for the help!

Danny

"glee" wrote:

> It could be an issue with the NIC. As I said, I am no networking guru. I did see a
> couple of references to the error when I googled it, and in at least one case
> replacing the NIC fixed it....although in another case my renaming suggestion fixed
> it. :p
> Please let us know if the networking folks figure it out.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Glen,
> >
> > Yes, yes & yes!
> >
> > I reposted to the networking area. This is a starnge one. I am wondering
> > if the issue is with the ethernet adaptor. Will also re run virus scan, just
> > in case!
> >
> > Thanks for the assistance.
> >
> > Danny
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > <yuck>.... and your computer name is 15 characters or less, with no spaces in
> the
> > > name; and your computer name is not used by any other computer on the network?
> > >
> > > Since I am not a networking wiz, I suggest you post this to a networking group
> > > unless someone pops in with more networking experience. I was hoping that would
> fix
> > > it for you......
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Computer
> no
> > > more

> on

> error

Please keep us posted, as I for one am interested in the outcome.