Raptor WD1500AD partitions

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I am going to buy very soon a raptor WD1500AD for my new pc and i am planing to make two partitions. The first will be 15GB for windows and program files and the second with the rest GB for my files and games...

I have some questions that i would like to answer me:

1. I will only format the small partition every 4-5 months. Is this going to make damage to the hdd?

2. Will more than one partition affect the performance of the hdd?

3. Will more than one partition "destroy" the hdd earlier then expected?

thanks in advance and sorry for my english..

slein

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2005
I am not sure it makes sense to install your games on the other partition. When you reformat and reinstall windows you will have to reinstall your games anyway. Seems like you might want a bigger windows partition and then install your games into that.

cooler_power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I am not sure it makes sense to install your games on the other partition. When you reformat and reinstall windows you will have to reinstall your games anyway. Seems like you might want a bigger windows partition and then install your games into that.

If i put them on the small partition or the big one, it doesn't make any diference becuase i will have to reinstall them anyway..

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Might be a bit easier to save game settings and saves by having on another partition. I have my games on another raid array usually, then when I reinstall I don't need to worry about backing savegames up.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
You will need to be meticulous about always backing up your OS and Game partitions at the same time and remember which images belong to each other when you restore them.

As long as you do that you shouldn't run into trouble. But I prefer the simplicity of one partition for software one for files.

---

Usually I write a two batch file to save and restore the preferences and saved games for a newely installed games.

Sometimes when I am lazy I just add its entire folder to my games backup set. This wastes disk space but has the added benifit of being able to quickly unpatch a game is an update causes more problems than it fixes.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I am going to buy very soon a raptor WD1500AD for my new pc and i am planing to make two partitions. The first will be 15GB for windows and program files and the second with the rest GB for my files and games...

I'd recommend a larger partition for OS plus programs, 20GB minimum. And you might want to also make a partition for the pagefile.