opterons off the market!!

monkey999

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
i heard a rumor that they are going to make opterons so that only large companys and etc can buy them 8O 8O 8O .. can some one verify this :?: :!: :?: :!: :!: :!:

:D :) :( :eek: 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :idea: :arrow:

dmdallas

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
that seems not only improbable, but utterly stupid on AMD's behalf. That is one of their most profitable processors esp. with big overclockers. Whoever you heard that from is probably stupid, or at least poorly informed.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Not even a URL? I've hear many things many times all day long, and discover that 98% of everything is BS. Perhaps this might be in the 2%--but not likely.

Opterons are great for that reason. How many gamers do you know, assuming they are intel folks (there are some), have a Xeon processor-based system on their wish list? Intel missed the boat there I believe. Intel Xeon Extreme might have made Intel's server market share be a little higher IMHO.

bennyg55

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
What does AMD make more money from? Signing an exclusive supply contract with a large Co buying heaps and heaps of CPUs, albeit slightly discounted, or distributing them to wholesalers etc. to sell one at a time?

How many people do you know have bought Opterons other than 165's and 146's? Point is, you have to be uber-rich (or really dedicated) to afford them. Consumer desktop chips demand a much lower price than server chips - AMD would rather sell you an Athlon for your Oblivion-slaying rig.

Makes perfect sense.

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
i heard a rumor that they are going to make opterons so that only large companys and etc can buy them 8O 8O 8O .. can some one verify this :?: :!: :?: :!: :!: :!:

:D :) :( :eek: 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :idea: :arrow:

Rumor - Must come from the Intel Camp

Question: Why would AMD give up the market share they already own? This does not make sense at all.

Rumor Only - What is your source?

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have heard something about this as well... probably a rumor and just that, but the reason I was given, was that they want to move Opterons over to a different socket so they can differentiat the markets a little (the server chips are cheaper so alot of people slap them in a 939 socket and enjoy the better quality chip) I guess AMD wants to charge a little more too but this wont happen at least untill they change sockets. Before some one complains that this isnt fact I already said its just a rumor <--- reiteration.

linux_0

Splendid
I have heard something about this as well... probably a rumor and just that, but the reason I was given, was that they want to move Opterons over to a different socket so they can differentiat the markets a little (the server chips are cheaper so alot of people slap them in a 939 socket and enjoy the better quality chip) I guess AMD wants to charge a little more too but this wont happen at least untill they change sockets. Before some one complains that this isnt fact I already said its just a rumor <--- reiteration.

I believe they are moving to Socket F however I believe the consumer Opteron will be with us for a while.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
Hmmm, dropping a popular item that is selling well. That business model would be plausible if Amd were run by a bunch of helmet-jockies riding the short bus. In fact, that suggestion tells me somebody should be sizing you up for your helmet.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

hmm, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i hope not

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

It is true that AMD has mentioned Socket-F as the new high-end server socket.

I've mentioned this before and I think it bares mention here, too. When Athlon 64 first hit, the Socket 754 chips were the "consumer" level, and Socket 940 were "server" level. Socket 940 owned all over the place, and the enthusiast crowd wanted them. However, Socket 940 had one major flaw - it required ECC memory. So in response to high demand, AMD released Socket 939. All the bang of 940, none of the bucks shelled out for ECC RAM.

I predict this will happen again, with Socket-AM2 and Socket-F. AM2 offers (from what we have seen thus far) a sub-par performance gain versus the previous generation, Socket 939. Socket-F, with its 1207 pin-count, should have the potential to rock AM2, 939, and (possibly) Conroe.

If the Socket-F chips perform a lot better, you can bet you'll see a more consumer-friendly version hit the market within a year of the "next-gen" release.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The Socket F would be used for the server chips, as you mentioned. AMD CEO Hector Ruiz said that they will take the focus off the desktop systems for a while(http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/06/amd_ceo_capacity_could_be_traded/). I guess Conroe, its performances and prices are the reason.
The Socket F has 1207 pins. Guess why? They are preparing the new Opterons with better HTT and more links, so more multicore chips can run in parallel. And more multicore chips can only benefit in server environment, while the raw power of single core is needed for the desktop, where they have already lost the battle.

bennyg55

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Yeah, but think about Xeons...know any gamers with Xeon CPUs (see my previous comment)?

Forgive me if I'm recycling others' opinions/conclusions, but I thought Xeons, being Intel, sucked at games only slightly less than P4's compared with K8's. I also thought that the fact that I've seen Xeons included in only a handful of gaming benchmarks over the past 12 months was testament to the fact that noone took them seriously.

The diff is Opty has gone into desktop CPU market for different reasons - servers want stability and low power consumption. Desky consumers love it for low heat and XLent OCing capability, as well as the fact that it owns P4s of whatever flavour ATM.

My point was that if AMD, with it's limited manufacturing capacity, can flog an Opty 146 or 165 or whatever to the server market unencumbered by desktop CPU pricing demands, they'll probably make more money. Now that manufacturing capacity, not market share, is the limiting factor in how many chips they sell, they pretty much do what they like (market theory: Demand > Supply means price goes up).

That said rumours do fly thick and fast 'round here. I'm just saying, IMO, it would make sense.

Edit: damn [/u] hanging round

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I heard that intel is buying AMD, if you can't beat them join them. their new name will be called Amtel
ZOMFGWTFFTWROTFFLMFAOWTFHAXXORZ!!!111oneon

OMG I think I mentioned that in a post on here about 2 or 3 days ago... lol man you have to watch it with the jokes on here people take you seriusly... lol