new hard drive problem

Bought Maxtor 80GB HDD and installed. Ran the Maxtor installation without
problem UNTIL.

Went to restore an image from Dri ve Image 4 and Maxtor added a DDO to my
system and I can't get the rescue disk program to run. The error indicates
that a Drive Overlay is installed but not running.

Put in system disk in Drive A and reboot and press the space bar when the
system starts. Well I used the bootable Drive Image 4 disk 1 as my system
disk. was this wrong.

What should I do now.

How can I wipe clean the new Hard Drive and start over using Partrition
Magic (should have use PM in the first place)

Thanks,

BL
12 answers Last reply
More about hard drive problem

    Finally was abale to get rid of the DDO anf then used PM to partition the
    drive and was able to restore my recent Drive Image 4 image.

    Thanks to all for previous suggestions.

    BL
    "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Bought Maxtor 80GB HDD and installed. Ran the Maxtor installation without
    > problem UNTIL.
    >
    > Went to restore an image from Dri ve Image 4 and Maxtor added a DDO to my
    > system and I can't get the rescue disk program to run. The error indicates
    > that a Drive Overlay is installed but not running.
    >
    > Put in system disk in Drive A and reboot and press the space bar when the
    > system starts. Well I used the bootable Drive Image 4 disk 1 as my system
    > disk. was this wrong.
    >
    > What should I do now.
    >
    > How can I wipe clean the new Hard Drive and start over using Partrition
    > Magic (should have use PM in the first place)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BL

    Thought a DDO was an option in Maxtor/WD/Seagate cloning software, not a
    hidden, unused insertion if not needed?
    DI only needs empty space, no previously created partition to restore to.
    Yes, you need something to create a partition(s) in the remaining empty
    space. PM or fdisk/format etc.

    > Finally was abale to get rid of the DDO anf then used PM to partition the
    > drive and was able to restore my recent Drive Image 4 image.
    >
    > Thanks to all for previous suggestions.
    >
    > BL
    > "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Bought Maxtor 80GB HDD and installed. Ran the Maxtor installation
    without
    > > problem UNTIL.
    > >
    > > Went to restore an image from Dri ve Image 4 and Maxtor added a DDO to
    my
    > > system and I can't get the rescue disk program to run. The error
    indicates
    > > that a Drive Overlay is installed but not running.
    > >
    > > Put in system disk in Drive A and reboot and press the space bar when
    the
    > > system starts. Well I used the bootable Drive Image 4 disk 1 as my
    system
    > > disk. was this wrong.
    > >
    > > What should I do now.
    > >
    > > How can I wipe clean the new Hard Drive and start over using Partrition
    > > Magic (should have use PM in the first place)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > BL

    Maxtor never gave me the option. Did not realize the DDO was there until I
    went to boot from the rescue disks of Drive Image so I could restore an
    image made prior to installing the new HDD.

    I later read on the Maxtor site that the installation disk automatically
    adds the DDO if the BIOS won't support large disks.

    Could not remove the DDO with the Maxtr installation disk. The remove option
    was blocked out. I did send Maxtor a letter of disapproval.
    > Thought a DDO was an option in Maxtor/WD/Seagate cloning software, not a
    > hidden, unused insertion if not needed?
    > DI only needs empty space, no previously created partition to restore to.
    > Yes, you need something to create a partition(s) in the remaining empty
    > space. PM or fdisk/format etc.
    >
    > "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Finally was abale to get rid of the DDO anf then used PM to partition
    the
    > > drive and was able to restore my recent Drive Image 4 image.
    > >
    > > Thanks to all for previous suggestions.
    > >
    > > BL
    > > "MedRxman" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Bought Maxtor 80GB HDD and installed. Ran the Maxtor installation
    > without
    > > > problem UNTIL.
    > > >
    > > > Went to restore an image from Dri ve Image 4 and Maxtor added a DDO to
    > my
    > > > system and I can't get the rescue disk program to run. The error
    > indicates
    > > > that a Drive Overlay is installed but not running.
    > > >
    > > > Put in system disk in Drive A and reboot and press the space bar when
    > the
    > > > system starts. Well I used the bootable Drive Image 4 disk 1 as my
    > system
    > > > disk. was this wrong.
    > > >
    > > > What should I do now.
    > > >
    > > > How can I wipe clean the new Hard Drive and start over using
    Partrition
    > > > Magic (should have use PM in the first place)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > BL

    I meant to give you this other pdf spec link instead of (or along with) the
    one I did. http://tinyurl.com/737gb

    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

    >Don't use the maxtor controller card - Promise makes it for them anyway!
    Use Promise, and this is the one you want to get - period. Buy it anywhere
    you want but here is just one place you can find it still:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=16-102-007&depa=0

    If you don't have a controller card installed now, do yourself a favor and
    get one, because not only will it give you two ports allowing two master
    slots where you can run two hard drives as master if you need to (useful in
    Disk to Disk operations performance wise) but it's just plain convenient in
    number of other ways - it automatically supports hard drives beyond 137GB
    (I've got a 250GB on mine now) ..but the most important thing above all is
    what it Will do for W98 as performance goes 'across the board' - for
    instance, for a test take a big task like zipping a 2 GB file and time how
    long it takes to complete before you install the controller card - and then
    test it after - you will notice a remarkable 20 - 35% increase in system
    performance - and the faster your processor is the more noticeable will be
    the controllers cards advantage. I can't say enough about the performance
    boost and must be first hand seen to believe. Besides W98SE it also gives
    the same performance increase for me (although not as dramatic) on my W2K &
    WXP partitions too. It blows Applications Accelerators away on every level
    and makes them archaic.

    "Right Click" and "Save Target" on this link below to download it's pdf
    manual to check it out.
    >http://www.promise.com/support/file/manual/u133_manual_Promise_v2.PDF

    Looks Good, that's my next project..Looked at the manual, as soon as I find
    the LED cable on my MB I will proceed.

    > Yea, that looks fine. I suppose (but don't know) that it would also look
    > just like that, if the drive overlay were still functioning. However, I
    > trust you did eliminate it. Well, here is an article to consult...

    > How to Tell If Drive Overlay Program Is Installed in Windows
    >
    > Yea, looks like you are fine! The article says, if you had an overlay,
    > "the sum of the existing partitions (would be) larger than the total
    > hard disk space".

    Thanks for the link,I did find that one on my own (surprise). That is when I
    questioned the fdisk/status numberand consequently downloaded and installed
    the hotfix to correct the numbers reported for drive above 64MB.

    Also, I no longer get the DDO overlay message if I boot to system disk.

    , MS-DOS Prompt"
    > (b) FDISK /Status
    > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post the
    > results.
    >
    > C:\>FDISK /Status
    > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    > 1 19092 8298 57%
    > C: 7996
    > E: 2798
    > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
    > D: 7996 << One partition
    > F: 7996
    > G: 7996
    > H: 7996
    > I: 6187

    =====================================
    why arn't you drive sequential in letttering. C & E on 1st drive and D on
    second drive ?

    I would much rather have C,D,E,F,G,H,I

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=51978
    Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows Assign Drive Letters

    That's because I have a Primary & an Extended on each HDD. Letters are
    assigned to the primaries first then to the volumes (logical partitions)
    in the Extended Partitions. The idea was to be able to remove the HDD
    that is my Primary Master & physically replace it with it's slave when
    necessary. Windows can only boot from a Primary. Unfortunately, I still
    think I haven't got it right with the lettering on the volumes. When the
    switch is made, C:\ will be right, but may not find E:volume where the
    Registry may expect. Don't worry, I'll fix it soon! (I THINK I have to
    move the stuff from E:volume to... damn it, G:volume, maybe.)

    You seem to have...

    Fixed Disk Drive Status
    Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1 78160 100%
    C: 78160
    2 38170 100%
    D: 19085
    E: 7060
    F: 12025

    ....well, I can't say, because you have only one partition on your
    Primary Master. C: is a Primary, as only a Primary can boot. D: may be a
    Volume or a Primary.

    Well, BE CAREFUL, but...

    It appears one may actually run FDISK at a Windows DOS (in a box)
    Prompt. I wouldn't suggest doing so to anyone with shaky fingers,
    though. DON'T wipe your drive(s)!

    (a) START button, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt
    (b) FDISK
    (c) Press ENTER to accept Large Disk Support.
    (d) Select option 5 (Change current fixed disk drive)
    (e) At "Enter Fixed Disk Drive Number", enter "2".
    (f) Select option 4 (Display Partition Information), & hit ENTER.
    (g) Use the "MARK" button, outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to
    post what you see to us.
    (h) ESC your way OUT. DON'T try to do any partitioning! I'm not even
    sure I would alter the Active setting here. BETTER just post what you
    see! Just ESC OUT.

    Here is what mine showed.
    NOTES: "PRI" is Primary, "EXT" is Extended...
    "A" under "Status" means "Active".

    Display Partition Information
    Current fixed disk drive: 2

    Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    D: 1 PRI DOS P C R COPY 7996 FAT32 21%
    2 EXT DOS 30174 79%

    Total disk space is 38169 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)

    The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
    Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]

    Display Logical DOS Drive Information

    Drv Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    F: PRISTINE 7996 FAT32 26%
    G: CONNIE 7996 FAT32 26%
    H: SHARON 7996 FAT32 26%
    I: EMILY 6187 FAT32 21%

    Total Extended DOS Partition size is 30174 Mbytes (1 MByte = 1048576
    bytes)

    Press Esc to return to FDISK Options

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    | > Yea, that looks fine. I suppose (but don't know) that it would also
    look
    | > just like that, if the drive overlay were still functioning.
    However, I
    | > trust you did eliminate it. Well, here is an article to consult...
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186057/EN-US/
    | > How to Tell If Drive Overlay Program Is Installed in Windows
    | >
    | > Yea, looks like you are fine! The article says, if you had an
    overlay,
    | > "the sum of the existing partitions (would be) larger than the total
    | > hard disk space".
    | >

    | Thanks for the link,I did find that one on my own (surprise). That is
    when I
    | questioned the fdisk/status numberand consequently downloaded and
    installed
    | the hotfix to correct the numbers reported for drive above 64MB.
    |
    | Also, I no longer get the DDO overlay message if I boot to system
    disk.

    "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    | > Yea, that looks fine. I suppose (but don't know) that it would also
    look
    | > just like that, if the drive overlay were still functioning.
    However, I
    | > trust you did eliminate it. Well, here is an article to consult...
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186057/EN-US/
    | > How to Tell If Drive Overlay Program Is Installed in Windows
    | >
    | > Yea, looks like you are fine! The article says, if you had an
    overlay,
    | > "the sum of the existing partitions (would be) larger than the total
    | > hard disk space".
    | >

    | Thanks for the link,I did find that one on my own (surprise). That is
    when I
    | questioned the fdisk/status numberand consequently downloaded and
    installed
    | the hotfix to correct the numbers reported for drive above 64MB.
    |
    | Also, I no longer get the DDO overlay message if I boot to system
    disk.

    You are welcome. That's it, then. Maybe work with Terhune to find an
    appropriate partitioning scheme. Also...
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/partitions.html
    Badour's scheme.

    Oops. See my answer elsewhere.

    --

    | , MS-DOS Prompt"
    | > (b) FDISK /Status
    | > (c) Use the "MARK", outline text with mouse, "COPY" button to post
    the
    | > results.
    | >
    | > C:\>FDISK /Status
    | > Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    | > 1 19092 8298 57%
    | > C: 7996
    | > E: 2798
    | > 2 38169 100% << Full drive
    | > D: 7996 << One partition
    | > F: 7996
    | > G: 7996
    | > H: 7996
    | > I: 6187
    | >
    | =====================================
    | why arn't you drive sequential in letttering. C & E on 1st drive and D
    on
    | second drive ?
    |
    | I would much rather have C,D,E,F,G,H,I

    I see what you are doing.

    My D: is a Primary Dos Active Bootable Partition. There is no data stored on
    this drive. I left this blank so I could also replace the Master with this
    drive knowing the "D" would change to "C" on which I could restore my latest
    image to. Also, I do not have any programs on the E or F drive. My E drive
    is for data backups using Karenware Replicator and my F drive is to hold
    images so I can restore my C drive at anytime.

    You seem to actually keep a copy of your C: on the D drive.

    I'll bet that if you used PM and hid your D drive your lettter assignment
    would change to C,D.E.F.G.H.

> [...]
    > look
    > | > just like that, if the drive overlay were still functioning.
    > However, I
    > | > trust you did eliminate it. Well, here is an article to consult...
    > | >
    > | > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186057/EN-US/
    > | > How to Tell If Drive Overlay Program Is Installed in Windows
    > | >
    > | > Yea, looks like you are fine! The article says, if you had an
    > overlay,
    > | > "the sum of the existing partitions (would be) larger than the total
    > | > hard disk space".
    > | >

    > | Thanks for the link,I did find that one on my own (surprise). That is
    > when I
    > | questioned the fdisk/status numberand consequently downloaded and
    > installed
    > | the hotfix to correct the numbers reported for drive above 64MB.
    > |
    > | Also, I no longer get the DDO overlay message if I boot to system

    Well, as D: is also a primary for you, it will, per that article, always
    be D:, no matter what else you create. C: will always be C:. Every other
    letter you have can change, depending upon what additional
    partitions/volumes you create/delete elsewhere on your HDDs. The
    consequence of this depends upon whether the current letters have
    Registry ties.

    Right, my D:primary is a copy of C:primary. I use BootIt NG, which can
    also hide partitions. But, I like things as they are, as I can
    occasionally move files back/forth. If I hid D:primary on HDD1, I would
    end up with...

    C:primary of HDD0. Same.
    D:volume of HDD0. Was E:
    E:volume of HDD1. Was F:
    F:volume of HDD1. Was G:
    G:volume of HDD1. Was H:
    H:volume of HDD1. Was I:

    Let's see (God!)... looks like my Registry ties to my current E: (My
    Documents, My Downloads, Win98SE .cabs, WU downloads) & G: (OE Store,
    TIFs) would need adjusting, or I'd have to move the contents of those
    volumes up one each!

    --
> [...]
    you
    | > see! Just ESC OUT.
    | >
    | > Here is what mine showed.
    | > NOTES: "PRI" is Primary, "EXT" is Extended...
    | > "A" under "Status" means "Active".
    | >
    | > Display Partition Information
    | > Current fixed disk drive: 2
    | >
    | > Partition Status Type Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    | > D: 1 PRI DOS P C R COPY 7996 FAT32 21%
    | > 2 EXT DOS 30174 79%
    | >
    | > Total disk space is 38169 Mbytes (1 Mbyte = 1048576 bytes)
    | >
    | > The Extended DOS Partition contains Logical DOS Drives.
    | > Do you want to display the logical drive information (Y/N)......?[Y]
    | >
    | > Display Logical DOS Drive Information
    | >
    | > Drv Volume Label Mbytes System Usage
    | > F: PRISTINE 7996 FAT32 26%
    | > G: CONNIE 7996 FAT32 26%
    | > H: SHARON 7996 FAT32 26%
    | > I: EMILY 6187 FAT32 21%
    | >
    | > Total Extended DOS Partition size is 30174 Mbytes (1 MByte = 1048576

    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > look
    | > However, I

    | > overlay,
    | > | >

    | > | Thanks for the link,I did find that one on my own (surprise). That
    is
    | > when I
    | > | questioned the fdisk/status numberand consequently downloaded and
    | > installed
    | > | the hotfix to correct the numbers reported for drive above 64MB.
    | > |
    | > | Also, I no longer get the DDO overlay message if I boot to system
    | > disk.
    | > |
    | > |

Maxtor Hard Drives Windows Product