Sign in with
Your question

Antec Sonata vs. Antec P150

Last response: in Components
May 1, 2006 10:39:17 PM

since my PC build is on a pretty tight budget, my goal to get the gigabyt eposeidon is a no-no. a 100 dollar cse, no.

so i narrowed it down to these 2, both come with good/decent PSU's which is better in term of quality, cooling preformance, and dollar over quality/preformance ratio?

and if u have a different case recommendation for me im all ears.

thanks.
May 2, 2006 12:43:24 AM

Quote:
since my PC build is on a pretty tight budget, my goal to get the gigabyt eposeidon is a no-no. a 100 dollar cse, no.

so i narrowed it down to these 2, both come with good/decent PSU's which is better in term of quality, cooling preformance, and dollar over quality/preformance ratio?

and if u have a different case recommendation for me im all ears.

thanks.

The P180 doesn't include a PSU. I would get the Sonata or an SLK.
a c 158 ) Power supply
May 2, 2006 1:45:54 AM

The Sonata has been working great for me...just remove the BS ducts.
Related resources
May 2, 2006 1:45:58 AM

i meant the P150 srry :) 
May 2, 2006 2:37:10 AM

Quote:

I'd take the P150 over the sonata any day.

It comes with a Neo HE 430 modular PSU.
May 2, 2006 2:53:02 AM

Quote:

exactly my thopughts bu tppl say Sonata and they remove the cuct..which is pointless....so whats the point of buying the sonata if u remove the cut its just another ole case.

ok

now when i meant P180 i meant, NSK 6500

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=96500

Black, P150 :)  with sidepanel vents, i dont care about noise, i like the looks
May 2, 2006 4:27:35 AM

Quote:

exactly my thopughts bu tppl say Sonata and they remove the cuct..which is pointless....so whats the point of buying the sonata if u remove the cut its just another ole case.

ok

The P150 still has a better PSU than the NSK6500.
a b ) Power supply
May 2, 2006 6:20:43 AM

Both Sonata and the P150 are good cases. One is black the other is silver or white.

The Sonata only has one 120mm exhaust fan. There is no intake fan so depending on what you put inside the case it may get a little hot. Many people have stated that it is a pretty quiet case. But people have said the case gets decent airflow.

The P150 is a higher priced case that focus more attention on being quiet. The Included Neo HE430 power supply is quiet. However, older versions had compatiblity issues with Asus motherboards, it has since be fixed, but it doesn't guarantee that you will be recieving the most recent revision. But Antec will send you a replacement PSU if necessary. The PSU is also modular which allows for great cable management.

The P150 allows you to suspend up to two hard drives with "rubberbands" in the lower front of the case. However, suspending your drives will only allow you fit 2 HDs in that space. Otherwise there is space for up to 4 HDs.

I believe two 90/92mm can be placed in the front of the case to increase airflow. A good case, but just remember that it may be picky with Asus motherboards.
May 2, 2006 7:14:09 AM

Hi!
I own a P150, and im using it with a asus A8N -SLI premium, an OCd opteron 165 etc. etc.

Simply put; It works great.
Small exterior, but enough of space inside, quiet, and Very good temps on my mobo (its the passively cooled version) so the airflow inside the case is really good aswell.

I also read some posts of the Neo having problems with asus mobos, but ive seen nothing of that.
I can add that i bought my case 2 monts ago, and thats the new revision so youd be VERY unlucky to get an old rev. one.

go for the P150.
May 2, 2006 9:18:37 PM

Quote:

ok

The P150 still has a better PSU than the NSK6500.

actually it doesnt specify on the NSK it just says

"# High-efficiency 430 Watt ATX12V v2.0 power supply
-Universal input
-Active PFC and high efficiency design for superior environmentally-friendly operation"

NeoHE 430w has universal input, active PFC, and its 430w and high efficiency

also the Antec website shows a truepower 2.0 480w in the NSK case as it seems
http://www.antec.com/images/400/NSK6500_i.jpg

but in reality the case was shows off at CES 2006 and shown with guess what? Antec NeoHE 430w
http://www.thetechlounge.com/files/articles/251/images/...
http://www.thetechlounge.com/files/articles/251/images/...

now a picture of a NeoHE 430w

looks the same to me :) 
May 2, 2006 9:48:34 PM

http://www.antec.com/specs/NSK6500_spe.html

I don't believe it comes with a Neo Power.

In fact there are typos on their spec sheet, they mention it comes with a 480W PSU then a 430W PSU.

http://www.antec.com/images/400/NSK6500_i.jpg

This is definitely not a Neo Power.

The solution series is their value line, I'm 95% sure they do NOT come with a True Power or a Neo Power PSU.

They DID demo the case with a Neo Power but it doesn't come with one.

They just spec a 430W PSU which translates to generic.

Every SLK I have ever bought came with a Smart Power PSU (Antec's value line PSU).

I would stick with the P150.
May 2, 2006 10:23:25 PM

ok i agree but the case will retail for around 100 dollars which means they didnt use the SmartPower series it wouldnt be that expensive.

also Smartpower doesnt come in 430w AND on top of that, the smart power doesnt have a universal input, plus they would use a genric when they can install one of their PSU's they make PSU's why would to go to someone else to get PSU's if they already make them and good ones too.
May 2, 2006 10:44:45 PM

Quote:
ok i agree but the case will retail for around 100 dollars which means they didnt use the SmartPower series it wouldnt be that expensive.

also Smartpower doesnt come in 430w AND on top of that, the smart power doesnt have a universal input, plus they would use a genric when they can install one of their PSU's they make PSU's why would to go to someone else to get PSU's if they already make them and good ones too.

The thing is the TP 430 retails for $65 and the Neo Power 430 sells for $85 so I'm not sure if they would bundle it that way.

It sounds like they might use the TP 430 but it doesn't say that.

When I said generic I meant a generic ANTEC not a generic PSU from another MFG.
May 2, 2006 11:21:54 PM

ok, dont care the Truepower 2 430w would work for me 34A on the 12v, i plan on running a 7600GT, maybe dual and tha tPSU would support dual 7600GT's since they require no externam power source.

:) 

still gettin the NSK looks better :) 
May 2, 2006 11:49:51 PM

Quote:
ok, dont care the Truepower 2 430w would work for me 34A on the 12v, i plan on running a 7600GT, maybe dual and tha tPSU would support dual 7600GT's since they require no externam power source.

:) 

still gettin the NSK looks better :) 

Buy it without a PSU and you're all set.
May 3, 2006 12:27:13 AM

Quote:

The Sonata only has one 120mm exhaust fan. There is no intake fan so depending on what you put inside the case it may get a little hot. Many people have stated that it is a pretty quiet case. But people have said the case gets decent airflow.

The Sonata has a place to mount a 120mm intake fan behind the hard drives, but is not included with the case. The case gets good air flow and the 120mm fan has a speed adjust, low, medium, high. The duct works fine, but you don't really need it. I left mine out. The included Antec truepower 450w is fine. If you're going to go sli/x-fire you may want to use a beefier psu.
May 3, 2006 12:29:25 AM

are you talking about the original sonata or sonata 2? i have the original and i have a 4600x2 with 7800gtx sli setup and 3 hard drives in it and its running pretty cool .i recommend adding the 120 mm fan in front against hard drive bays to help cool (what i did).i had to upgrade the power supply that came with mine (380watt),but i love the case. the sonata 2 has a 450 watt power supply (not sure of specs yet )and the ductwork but other than that i think they are layed out the same. here is a link that compares spec and has review/ratings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCompare.asp?SubCat...
May 3, 2006 1:03:31 AM

sonata 2, but i m leaning more towards the P150/NSK 6500
!