Bang for $ game PC. What RAM, CPU, MOBO ?

fipeso

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Hi,

I am building a new game PC, and try to figure out the best bang for $.

Now I am wondering about OC or not to OC.

At the moment I am consideing a "Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert" mobo with a "Opteron 165 Boxed, 1,8Ghz DualCore " CPU.

But I have no idea what RAM I should get? (I want 2GB.)

Also I maybe should get the Opteron 170 in stead ? What is beter for OC ?

Then again, if I do not OC, I could maybe save $ on motherboard and ram, without loosing quality ?
But I want top quality = somthing that does not break down.

Other relevant stuff in new PC:
I will not SLI. I am thinking 7900GT or GTX. Antec 550W PSU. Antec P180 Case.

So the questions are:
1) What RAM if I want to OC ?
2) What RAM if I do not OC?
3) 165 or 170 if I want to OC?
4) What Motherboard of maching quality, if I dont want to OC?

dmdallas

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
If you want to OC, get some ram like this the price is a bit steep, but in previous experience, it is well worth it. If you arent going to overclock, go with some midrange value DDR 400 ram like this.

As for processor and bang for buck, both are comperable in price ($25-$50 difference depending on where you look) so I would go with the 170 in any case.

For the motherboard, I would go with something like this for overclocking or not because nforce has loads of options and this one is also at a great price point.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you want to OC, get some ram like this the price is a bit steep, but in previous experience, it is well worth it. If you arent going to overclock, go with some midrange value DDR 400 ram like this.

As for processor and bang for buck, both are comperable in price ($25-$50 difference depending on where you look) so I would go with the 170 in any case.

For the motherboard, I would go with something like this for overclocking or not because nforce has loads of options and this one is also at a great price point.

Did you notice that your expensive RAM was only $164 whereas your inexpensive midrange RAM was $181?

Jump on that $164 stuff like right now! That's a really good price.

I forgot, if you decide to not overclock, then get an X2 4200. It will do all you want plenty quick and costs about the same as the Opty165. Half the cache but 400MHz faster.

Ponder this before you make any decisions. It's a good read.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Mail in rebate. The expensive stuff was with an instant $35.00 rebate. Immediate. That's worth the extra $30 for the better RAM in my book. Just an opinion of course.

sandmannight

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hi,

I am building a new game PC, and try to figure out the best bang for $.

Now I am wondering about OC or not to OC.

At the moment I am consideing a "Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert" mobo with a "Opteron 165 Boxed, 1,8Ghz DualCore " CPU.

But I have no idea what RAM I should get? (I want 2GB.)

Also I maybe should get the Opteron 170 in stead ? What is beter for OC ?

Then again, if I do not OC, I could maybe save $ on motherboard and ram, without loosing quality ?
But I want top quality = somthing that does not break down.

Other relevant stuff in new PC:
I will not SLI. I am thinking 7900GT or GTX. Antec 550W PSU. Antec P180 Case.

So the questions are:
1) What RAM if I want to OC ?
2) What RAM if I do not OC?
3) 165 or 170 if I want to OC?
4) What Motherboard of maching quality, if I dont want to OC?

If you arent going to SLI why are you going with that MoBo. Go with the DFI lanparty ultra D. Pretty much same thing but no SLI. You can mod it to SLI later iff you desire.

fipeso

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I do not live in USA, so I am not able to order from newegg.com, but I look if I find those memory here in Finland.

The mobo's suggested looks good. But I wory about the chipset fan. If it is loud, it will be a big minus :(

"I am building a new game PC, and try to figure out the best bang for $.
"

Nothing wrong with OCing a processor to it's max stable freq within it's thermal considerations....

But...

For gaming at high res, as long as you have enough processor (A64-3500+ single core, or X2-3800+/4200+ dual core), and enough RAM (most recommend 2gb these days) the video card is fully 90% of the performance equation...

Most who game would much rather have an Opty 170 w/ a 7900GT than an FX60/ with a 7600GT!

Here's a rather extreme example...

Many are fans of Oblivion, which, at a decent high res where most people play at, scales less than 1 frame per second higher jumping from a 3500+ all the way to an FX60...

"Video card, video card, video card..."

Repeat above! :)

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
"I am building a new game PC, and try to figure out the best bang for $.
"

Nothing wrong with OCing a processor to it's max stable freq within it's thermal considerations....

But...

For gaming at high res, as long as you have enough processor (A64-3500+ single core, or X2-3800+/4200+ dual core), and enough RAM (most recommend 2gb these days) the video card is fully 90% of the performance equation...

Most who game would much rather have an Opty 170 w/ a 7900GT than an FX60/ with a 7600GT!

Here's a rather extreme example...

Many are fans of Oblivion, which, at a decent high res where most people play at, scales less than 1 frame per second higher jumping from a 3500+ all the way to an FX60...

Very well said and I concur.

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It's really a tremendous deal. Anybody looking for some good memory should jump on that quickly. I've some RAM enroute via UPS from Newegg right now. I wish i'd seen this first :(

fipeso

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
"

Video card, video card, video card :D

Well, video card is my bigest problem now.

There is a deal on a "Sapphire Radeon X850 XT 256 Mt PCI-E".

The price is 180€ over here.
(7900GTX is ~550€ and 7900GT is ~300€)

Now 180€ for X850XT seems great ! But what would I know, so I ask you!
Pixel Shader 2 not 3 and VS are also version 2.

I dont know what the PS and VS means. Will it not work with future games, or will I miss alot of eye candy?

The X850Xt seem very fast ? It is no 7900 but still...

TRENDING THREADS