IE6-page canot be display message

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 4, 2005 7:01:02 AM

I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and, downloaded
AVG, and updated it.

Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".

ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
time out.

Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean. Many
thanks for your helping hand.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 12:54:53 PM

cable or dialup ?
\if cable
start
run
winipcfg
find the network adaptor in the drop down list
release all
renew all

may help
--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
downloaded
| AVG, and updated it.
|
| Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
| Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
| IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
|
| ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
| time out.
|
| Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
| anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean.
Many
| thanks for your helping hand.

July 4, 2005 12:54:54 PM

Using dial up.
Problem now is I cant go to any website, not even the default. So how can I
download the various antidote.

Also would like to know if we can download the patches ( like
kb891711,896358 etc) and install into the system later, If so how do we go
about doing it

Thanks

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> cable or dialup ?
> \if cable
> start
> run
> winipcfg
> find the network adaptor in the drop down list
> release all
> renew all
>
> may help
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
> _
> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
> downloaded
> | AVG, and updated it.
> |
> | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
> | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
> | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
> |
> | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
> | time out.
> |
> | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
> | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean.
> Many
> | thanks for your helping hand.

July 4, 2005 7:46:18 PM

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
...., which also can be got by...
(1) "START button, Windows Update".
(2) Click "Personalize..." in left pane & then check "Display the
link..." in right pane.
(3) Click "Windows Update Catalog" in left pane, which is now under "See
Also". (Perhaps you need to leave & re-enter the site to see it.)
(4) Click "Find Updates..." in right pane.
(5) Select OS in window & click "Search".
(6) Select "Critical Updates...".

You must decide which apply to your computer, when you take them that
way. And the literature may not be perfectly clear about it. Perhaps, if
you've done it once letting the site decide, you may now...

"START, Find, F/F, 'Windows Update.log'". (Use double quotes around that
name.) Click it for a possible clue inside. Otherwise...

(A) At IE6, Help, About:
SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
Q891781, Q890923, & Q883939.

(B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
W98: KB891711, KB896358, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172,
Q323255, Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
Windows 98 TELNET

(C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

(1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
(2) Internet Explorer Q883939
(was Q890923, Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167,
Q832894, Q824145, Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
(3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
(4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
(5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
(6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
(7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
(8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
(9) MSN Messenger 4.5
(10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
(11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
(12) Windows 98 KB896358 Update
(13) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
(14) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
(15) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
(16) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
(17) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
(18) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
downloaded
| AVG, and updated it.
|
| Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
| Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
the
| IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
|
| ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
request
| time out.
|
| Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
more
| anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
clean. Many
| thanks for your helping hand.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 8:28:46 PM

I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...

(1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say there?

(2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your ISP in
the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
downloaded
| AVG, and updated it.
|
| Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
| Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
the
| IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
|
| ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
request
| time out.
|
| Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
more
| anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
clean. Many
| thanks for your helping hand.

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:54:22 PM

Error message: The page cannot be displayed:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and, downloaded
> AVG, and updated it.
>
> Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
> Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
> IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
>
> ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
> time out.
>
> Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
> anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean. Many
> thanks for your helping hand.

July 4, 2005 10:39:02 PM

pcr,
many thanks and will work thru this + hopefully able to resolve the issues.

"PCR" wrote:

> I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...
>
> (1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
> Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say there?
>
> (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your ISP in
> the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
> downloaded
> | AVG, and updated it.
> |
> | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
> | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
> the
> | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
> |
> | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
> request
> | time out.
> |
> | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
> more
> | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
> clean. Many
> | thanks for your helping hand.

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 5:04:02 PM

You are welcome. Looks like Glee came up with a definitive article...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344
Error message: The page cannot be displayed

Post back with results.

--
| pcr,
| many thanks and will work thru this + hopefully able to resolve the
issues.

| "PCR" wrote:
|
| > I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...
| >
| > (1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
| > Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say
there?

| > (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your
ISP in
| > the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
| > downloaded
| > | AVG, and updated it.
| > |
| > | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers
etc.
| > | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I
launch
| > the
| > | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
| > |
| > | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
| > request
| > | time out.
| > |

!