IE6-page canot be display message

I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and, downloaded
AVG, and updated it.

Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".

ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
time out.

Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean. Many
thanks for your helping hand.
7 answers Last reply
More about page canot display message

    cable or dialup ?
    \if cable
    start
    run
    winipcfg
    find the network adaptor in the drop down list
    release all
    renew all

    may help
    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    downloaded
    | AVG, and updated it.
    |
    | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
    | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    |
    | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
    | time out.
    |
    | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
    | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean.
    Many
    | thanks for your helping hand.

    Using dial up.
    Problem now is I cant go to any website, not even the default. So how can I
    download the various antidote.

    Also would like to know if we can download the patches ( like
    kb891711,896358 etc) and install into the system later, If so how do we go
    about doing it

    Thanks

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > cable or dialup ?
    > \if cable
    > start
    > run
    > winipcfg
    > find the network adaptor in the drop down list
    > release all
    > renew all
    >
    > may help
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    >
    > Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    > _
    > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    > downloaded
    > | AVG, and updated it.
    > |
    > | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    > | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
    > | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    > |
    > | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
    > | time out.
    > |
    > | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
    > | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean.
    > Many
    > | thanks for your helping hand.

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    ...., which also can be got by...
    (1) "START button, Windows Update".
    (2) Click "Personalize..." in left pane & then check "Display the
    link..." in right pane.
    (3) Click "Windows Update Catalog" in left pane, which is now under "See
    Also". (Perhaps you need to leave & re-enter the site to see it.)
    (4) Click "Find Updates..." in right pane.
    (5) Select OS in window & click "Search".
    (6) Select "Critical Updates...".

    You must decide which apply to your computer, when you take them that
    way. And the literature may not be perfectly clear about it. Perhaps, if
    you've done it once letting the site decide, you may now...

    "START, Find, F/F, 'Windows Update.log'". (Use double quotes around that
    name.) Click it for a possible clue inside. Otherwise...

    (A) At IE6, Help, About:
    SP1, Q313829, Q328970, Q328389, Q324929, Q810847, Q813951, Q816506,
    Q813489, Q330994, Q818529, Q822925, Q828750, Q824145, Q832894,
    Q837009, Q831167, Q823353, Q867801, Q833989, Q834707, Q889293, Q867282,
    Q891781, Q890923, & Q883939.

    (B) At "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Software Updates",
    or at "START, RUN, QFECheck"..:

    Windows 98 Second Edition=4,10,0,2222
    Updates=Year 2000 Update for Windows 98b
    SP2: Windows 98 Second Edition USBHUB
    W98: KB891711, KB896358, Q245729, Q274113, Q314147, Q323172,
    Q323255, Q329115, Q811630, Q840315, Q888113, & Q890175.
    W98SE: Q823559, Q245272, Q256015, Q259728, Q260067, Q273017, Q273991
    Win98SE: Q249973, Q238453, Q239887, UHCD
    Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video
    Windows 98 TELNET

    (C) At "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs":

    (1) 128 bit encryption support for Dial-up Networking
    (2) Internet Explorer Q883939
    (was Q890923, Q891781, Q889293, Q834707, Q867801, Q831167,
    Q832894, Q824145, Q828750, Q822925, Q818529)
    (3) Microsoft Data Access Components KB870669
    (4) Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories
    (5) Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
    (6) Microsoft Internet Print Services
    (7) Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    (8) Microsoft VGX Q833989
    (9) MSN Messenger 4.5
    (10) Outlook Express Q823353 (was Q837009, Q330994)
    (11) Windows 98 KB891711 Update
    (12) Windows 98 KB896358 Update
    (13) Windows 98 Q823559 Update
    (14) Windows 98 Q840315 Update
    (15) Windows 98 Q888113 Update
    (16) Windows 98 Q890175 Update
    (17) Windows 98 Second Edition Digital Video Update
    (18) Windows Media Player system update (9 series)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    downloaded
    | AVG, and updated it.
    |
    | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
    the
    | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    |
    | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
    request
    | time out.
    |
    | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
    more
    | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
    clean. Many
    | thanks for your helping hand.

    I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...

    (1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
    Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say there?

    (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your ISP in
    the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    downloaded
    | AVG, and updated it.
    |
    | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
    the
    | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    |
    | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
    request
    | time out.
    |
    | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
    more
    | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
    clean. Many
    | thanks for your helping hand.

    Error message: The page cannot be displayed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and, downloaded
    > AVG, and updated it.
    >
    > Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    > Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch the
    > IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    >
    > ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say request
    > time out.
    >
    > Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running more
    > anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out clean. Many
    > thanks for your helping hand.

    pcr,
    many thanks and will work thru this + hopefully able to resolve the issues.

    "PCR" wrote:

    > I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...
    >
    > (1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
    > Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say there?
    >
    > (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your ISP in
    > the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    > downloaded
    > | AVG, and updated it.
    > |
    > | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers etc.
    > | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I launch
    > the
    > | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    > |
    > | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
    > request
    > | time out.
    > |
    > | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides running
    > more
    > | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
    > clean. Many
    > | thanks for your helping hand.

    You are welcome. Looks like Glee came up with a definitive article...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=241344
    Error message: The page cannot be displayed

    Post back with results.

    --
    | pcr,
    | many thanks and will work thru this + hopefully able to resolve the
    issues.

    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > I guess look through your ISP & IE settings...
    | >
    | > (1) "My Computer, Dial-Up Networking, R-Clk your ISP & select
    | > Properties, Configure button, Connection tab". What does it say
    there?

    | > (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, D-Clk your
    ISP in
    | > the "Dial-Up" window, Advanced button". What does it say there?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "jack" <jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | I just did a clean installatio w98se, apply security patches and,
    | > downloaded
    | > | AVG, and updated it.
    | > |
    | > | Then do windows update and downloaded all the motherboard drivers
    etc.
    | > | Everything seems to be ok until the final test run. Now, when I
    launch
    | > the
    | > | IE, it always says" page cannot be displayed".
    | > |
    | > | ISP says there is connectivity but when we do a ping it always say
    | > request
    | > | time out.
    | > |
    | > | Any idea what is causing this and corrective action besides
    running
    | > more
    | > | anti virus etc. I also did a scan using NAV2005 but it comes out
    | > clean. Many
    | > | thanks for your helping hand.
    | > |
    | > |