reformat

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 4, 2005 3:18:40 PM

About 2 years ago, I formatted a friends pc with and installed W98SE.
Afterwards I saw that I had left portion d:
on the pc. I left it on there thinking she may never use all the HD
space. Got a call awhile back no space left.
I told her how to clean it up and we picked up about 70M.

What is the simplest way to refomat and remove the D: drive or
partition. Do I have to recreate the Partition
before removeing?

Thanks

P.S. A complete walk through might be help........

More about : reformat

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:18:41 PM

What size is the HD? How large is C: partition? How large is D:
partition? Can you see D: drive in Windows Explorer?

I'm not sure, but my guess is that you want to add the current D: to C:.
Is that right?

If D:\ is large enough, why not reorganize the friend's system and put
personal files on D:?

Otherwise, I recommend BootItNG to get rid of D: and add the free space
to C:. Need more accurate details of the current arrangement, answers to
the above questions, before I can give step-by-step instructions.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
> About 2 years ago, I formatted a friends pc with and installed W98SE.
> Afterwards I saw that I had left portion d:
> on the pc. I left it on there thinking she may never use all the HD
> space. Got a call awhile back no space left.
> I told her how to clean it up and we picked up about 70M.
>
> What is the simplest way to refomat and remove the D: drive or
> partition. Do I have to recreate the Partition
> before removeing?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. A complete walk through might be help........

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 3:54:32 PM

I think Partition Magic can remove the partition without harming the
rest of the system.

Bill Starbuck (MVP)
July 4, 2005 9:18:30 PM

Gary, you are correct. I want to remove d: and add it to c:. If I
remember correctly it is necessary to
order, then reformat.
Don't remember drive size but it seems I would only need to know that
when I reinstall the partitions?
Just assume d: is two Gs, rest in c:
The pc probably needs the hard drive cleaned up anyway. I had
partition magic but gave it to my neighbor (still in the box).
Don't know anything about BootItNG.
Thanks

news:o 8YtCwLgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What size is the HD? How large is C: partition? How large is D:
> partition? Can you see D: drive in Windows Explorer?
>
> I'm not sure, but my guess is that you want to add the current D: to
> C:. Is that right?
>
> If D:\ is large enough, why not reorganize the friend's system and
> put personal files on D:?
>
> Otherwise, I recommend BootItNG to get rid of D: and add the free
> space to C:. Need more accurate details of the current arrangement,
> answers to the above questions, before I can give step-by-step
> instructions.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>> About 2 years ago, I formatted a friends pc with and installed
>> W98SE. Afterwards I saw that I had left portion d:
>> on the pc. I left it on there thinking she may never use all the HD
>> space. Got a call awhile back no space left.
>> I told her how to clean it up and we picked up about 70M.
>>
>> What is the simplest way to refomat and remove the D: drive or
>> partition. Do I have to recreate the Partition
>> before removeing?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> P.S. A complete walk through might be help........

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:18:31 PM

Download BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com onto a functioning machine
(it's free for this purpose). The download includes an executable that
you use to create a bootable installation floppy disk. Create the
floppy, then boot the target machine with the floppy inserted. Assuming
the boot order is proper, you will be prompted to install BING
(BootItNG). You want to Cancel the installation, which will put you into
Maintenance mode. Choose Partition Work. Use Partition Work to delete
the existing D: drive and to Resize the existing C: to use up the free
space.

I'd still like to know what size the current C 'drive' is. If D is only
2GB, then I'll assume that C: is rather small also. However, if C: is
more than 8 GB, or will be more than 8 GB after doing what you plan, I
have some other recommendations.

--

> Gary, you are correct. I want to remove d: and add it to c:. If I
> remember correctly it is necessary to
> order, then reformat.
> Don't remember drive size but it seems I would only need to know that
> when I reinstall the partitions?
> Just assume d: is two Gs, rest in c:
> The pc probably needs the hard drive cleaned up anyway. I had
> partition magic but gave it to my neighbor (still in the box).
> Don't know anything about BootItNG.
> Thanks

> news:o 8YtCwLgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> What size is the HD? How large is C: partition? How large is D:
>> partition? Can you see D: drive in Windows Explorer?
>>
>> I'm not sure, but my guess is that you want to add the current D: to
>> C:. Is that right?
>>
>> If D:\ is large enough, why not reorganize the friend's system and
>> put personal files on D:?
>>
>> Otherwise, I recommend BootItNG to get rid of D: and add the free
>> space to C:. Need more accurate details of the current arrangement,
>> answers to the above questions, before I can give step-by-step
>> instructions.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> About 2 years ago, I formatted a friends pc with and installed
>>> W98SE. Afterwards I saw that I had left portion d:
>>> on the pc. I left it on there thinking she may never use all the HD
>>> space. Got a call awhile back no space left.
>>> I told her how to clean it up and we picked up about 70M.
>>>
>>> What is the simplest way to refomat and remove the D: drive or
>>> partition. Do I have to recreate the Partition
>>> before removeing?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> P.S. A complete walk through might be help........

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:57:58 PM

Gary, I'm pretty sure C: is less than 5GB.
Thanks

> Download BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com onto a functioning machine
> (it's free for this purpose). The download includes an executable
> that you use to create a bootable installation floppy disk. Create
> the floppy, then boot the target machine with the floppy inserted.
> Assuming the boot order is proper, you will be prompted to install
> BING (BootItNG). You want to Cancel the installation, which will put
> you into Maintenance mode. Choose Partition Work. Use Partition Work
> to delete the existing D: drive and to Resize the existing C: to use
> up the free space.
>
> I'd still like to know what size the current C 'drive' is. If D is
> only 2GB, then I'll assume that C: is rather small also. However, if
> C: is more than 8 GB, or will be more than 8 GB after doing what you
> plan, I have some other recommendations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Gary, you are correct. I want to remove d: and add it to c:. If I
>> remember correctly it is necessary to
>> correct order, then reformat.
>> Don't remember drive size but it seems I would only need to know
>> that when I reinstall the partitions?
>> Just assume d: is two Gs, rest in c:
>> The pc probably needs the hard drive cleaned up anyway. I had
>> partition magic but gave it to my neighbor (still in the box).
>> Don't know anything about BootItNG.
>> Thanks
>>

>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o 8YtCwLgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> What size is the HD? How large is C: partition? How large is D:
>>> partition? Can you see D: drive in Windows Explorer?
>>>
>>> I'm not sure, but my guess is that you want to add the current D:
>>> to C:. Is that right?
>>>
>>> If D:\ is large enough, why not reorganize the friend's system and
>>> put personal files on D:?
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I recommend BootItNG to get rid of D: and add the free
>>> space to C:. Need more accurate details of the current
>>> arrangement, answers to the above questions, before I can give
>>> step-by-step instructions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:57:59 PM

If the total size of C: and D: is under 8 GB, then use BootIt NG to
delete the D: and resize C: to occupy the entire drive.

--

> Gary, I'm pretty sure C: is less than 5GB.
> Thanks

>> Download BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com onto a functioning machine
>> (it's free for this purpose). The download includes an executable
>> that you use to create a bootable installation floppy disk. Create
>> the floppy, then boot the target machine with the floppy inserted.
>> Assuming the boot order is proper, you will be prompted to install
>> BING (BootItNG). You want to Cancel the installation, which will put
>> you into Maintenance mode. Choose Partition Work. Use Partition Work
>> to delete the existing D: drive and to Resize the existing C: to use
>> up the free space.
>>
>> I'd still like to know what size the current C 'drive' is. If D is
>> only 2GB, then I'll assume that C: is rather small also. However, if
>> C: is more than 8 GB, or will be more than 8 GB after doing what you
>> plan, I have some other recommendations.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Gary, you are correct. I want to remove d: and add it to c:. If I
>>> remember correctly it is necessary to
>>> correct order, then reformat.
>>> Don't remember drive size but it seems I would only need to know
>>> that when I reinstall the partitions?
>>> Just assume d: is two Gs, rest in c:
>>> The pc probably needs the hard drive cleaned up anyway. I had
>>> partition magic but gave it to my neighbor (still in the box).
>>> Don't know anything about BootItNG.
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> news:o 8YtCwLgFHA.132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 10:41:50 PM

I thought I would try that, if I can figure out how? Will D: show up
in BootIt NG? I think when I reformatted
the HD I removed C: and formatted without removing D: partition first.
D: shows up in windows explorer but not in FDISK as well as I can
remember. As far as I know D: is empty space, will anything need to be
formatted.
I D/L BING and MAKEDISK. I have
extracted the files and have all in makedisk folder, thought I would
copy whole folder to cd
and install on her PC. Will that work? Thanks
OliverK

news:o zQIj9XgFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If the total size of C: and D: is under 8 GB, then use BootIt NG to
> delete the D: and resize C: to occupy the entire drive.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Gary, I'm pretty sure C: is less than 5GB.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Download BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com onto a functioning
>>> machine (it's free for this purpose). The download includes an
>>> executable that you use to create a bootable installation floppy
>>> disk. Create the floppy, then boot the target machine with the
>>> floppy inserted. Assuming the boot order is proper, you will be
>>> prompted to install BING (BootItNG). You want to Cancel the
>>> installation, which will put you into Maintenance mode. Choose
>>> Partition Work. Use Partition Work to delete the existing D: drive
>>> and to Resize the existing C: to use up the free space.
>>>
>>> I'd still like to know what size the current C 'drive' is. If D is
>>> only 2GB, then I'll assume that C: is rather small also. However,
>>> if C: is more than 8 GB, or will be more than 8 GB after doing
>>> what you plan, I have some other recommendations.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 11:45:57 PM

> I'd still like to know what size the current C 'drive' is. If D is only
> 2GB, then I'll assume that C: is rather small also. However, if C: is
> more than 8 GB, or will be more than 8 GB after doing what you plan, I
> have some other recommendations.

I agree with gary, the drive size is necessary as it sounds like
it is a small drive.
Secondly, go to your neighbour and ask for partion magic back,
I wont even go into asking why you purchased it then gave it away.
Thirdly, if you believe the hard drive needs a 'clean-up' anyway,
and that any data on it is not relevant or worth keeping, then simply
do an F-disk on it then reinstal your Operating System of choice.

...Rex..
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:27:04 PM

> news:o zQIj9XgFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> If the total size of C: and D: is under 8 GB, then use BootIt NG to
>> delete the D: and resize C: to occupy the entire drive.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS MVP Shell/User
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Gary, I'm pretty sure C: is less than 5GB.
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 6:39:26 PM

No, that won't work. To create a bootable CD with BING on it you need to
create the bootable floppy installation disk and then use a CD burning
app to image the floppy onto the CD. Assuming you have a floppy disk
handy, and the target machine has a floppy drive, it's easier just to
use that. When the program cranks up, be sure to CANCEL the
installation. That drops you into Maintenance Mode where you choose
Partition Work to make the changes you desire.

--

>I thought I would try that, if I can figure out how? Will D: show up
>> in BootIt NG? I think when I reformatted
>> the HD I removed C: and formatted without removing D: partition
>> first.
>> D: shows up in windows explorer but not in FDISK as well as I can
>> remember. As far as I know D: is empty space, will anything need to
>> be formatted.
>> I D/L BING and MAKEDISK. I have
>> extracted the files and have all in makedisk folder, thought I would
>> copy whole folder to cd
>> and install on her PC. Will that work? Thanks
>> OliverK
>
> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>
>> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> news:o zQIj9XgFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> If the total size of C: and D: is under 8 GB, then use BootIt NG to
>>> delete the D: and resize C: to occupy the entire drive.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "OliverK" <Undone@msn.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 9:58:43 PM

Thanks Gary,

I was using the cd to carry BING and MAKEDISK files. Once I'm there I
will put in a folder on her PC
(from the cd) and make my bootable floppy from MAKEDISK on her PC.?
Can I do that? It said put BING files in same folder as MAKEDISK, is
that correct?

Thanks

OliverK

July 6, 2005 9:58:44 PM