Windows 98 language problem

I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any way to
change the language. All I have is the German version CD. Alternatively, I
would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a Windows
95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this disk?

No, there's no way to "convert" the language. You have to reformat and
install an English-language version.

If what you meant to say is that you have a Windows 95 "Upgrade" disk,
you'll need a set of Windows 3.11 (For WorkGroups) floppy installation
disks. Setup will ask for them.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Rooster" <Rooster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
> installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any
> way to
> change the language. All I have is the German version CD.
> Alternatively, I
> would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a
> Windows
> 95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this
> disk?

If you are trying to do a clean install of Win95 using a Win95 upgrade CD, setup
will ask for proof of compliance....namely you are supposed to insert disk 1 from
Windows 3.x. A workaround is to create a blank file named win.cn_ on a floppy
disk, and insert that disk when prompted for a disk for proof of ownership.

To create the file, just open Notepad, and click File menu> Save, save it on the
floppy disk with the name "win.cn_" including the quotes marks, so it will not have
the .txt extension usually given by Notepad.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Rooster" <Rooster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
> installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any way to
> change the language. All I have is the German version CD. Alternatively, I
> would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a Windows
> 95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this disk?

TRENDING THREADS