Windows 98 language problem

I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any way to
change the language. All I have is the German version CD. Alternatively, I
would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a Windows
95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this disk?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows language problem

    No, there's no way to "convert" the language. You have to reformat and
    install an English-language version.

    If what you meant to say is that you have a Windows 95 "Upgrade" disk,
    you'll need a set of Windows 3.11 (For WorkGroups) floppy installation
    disks. Setup will ask for them.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Rooster" <Rooster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
    > installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any
    > way to
    > change the language. All I have is the German version CD.
    > Alternatively, I
    > would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a
    > Windows
    > 95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this
    > disk?

    If you are trying to do a clean install of Win95 using a Win95 upgrade CD, setup
    will ask for proof of compliance....namely you are supposed to insert disk 1 from
    Windows 3.x. A workaround is to create a blank file named win.cn_ on a floppy
    disk, and insert that disk when prompted for a disk for proof of ownership.

    To create the file, just open Notepad, and click File menu> Save, save it on the
    floppy disk with the name "win.cn_" including the quotes marks, so it will not have
    the .txt extension usually given by Notepad.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Rooster" <Rooster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently borrowed a laptop that has windows 98 SE (German version)
    > installed. Now I am keeping the laptop and I wondered if their is any way to
    > change the language. All I have is the German version CD. Alternatively, I
    > would prefer to return to Windows 95, but unfortunately I only have a Windows
    > 95 update CD- is their a get around where I can install 95 using this disk?

Windows 98 Laptops CD-Rom Windows