Firewall necessary ?

If I am using a Linksys wireless router and the router has a firewall built
in and it is enabled, is it necessary to have an additional software
firewall installed ?
7 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > If I am using a Linksys wireless router and the router has a firewall
    > built in and it is enabled, is it necessary to have an additional
    > software firewall installed ?

    Windows 98 by default has no open ports. If you are running special
    services or wish to log attempted accesses you may wish to consider a
    firewall. More info here:

    http://www.grc.com/su-firewalls.htm

    PS I've been running Win98SE without a firewall for years on an ADSL
    connection without a single incident.

    Necessary, no. As a second line of defense, doesn't hurt.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > If I am using a Linksys wireless router and the router has a firewall built
    > in and it is enabled, is it necessary to have an additional software
    > firewall installed ?

    Are you sure about this?

    Netbios (port 139) appears to be open on every Windows 98 machine. And with
    the proper little program, you can easily enter and poke around the hard
    drives of those machines.

    "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Are you sure about this?
    >
    > Netbios (port 139) appears to be open on every Windows 98 machine. And
    > with the proper little program, you can easily enter and poke around the
    > hard drives of those machines.

    You must turn on file sharing first. By default this is not on.

    > "Fuzzy Logic" <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> wrote in message
    >> "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> If I am using a Linksys wireless router and the router has a firewall
    >>> built in and it is enabled, is it necessary to have an additional
    >>> software firewall installed ?
    >>
    >> Windows 98 by default has no open ports. If you are running special
    >> services or wish to log attempted accesses you may wish to consider a
    >> firewall. More info here:
    >>
    >> http://www.grc.com/su-firewalls.htm
    >>
    >> PS I've been running Win98SE without a firewall for years on an ADSL
    >> connection without a single incident.

    Just curious then, when you do a scan for open 139 ports, how come there are
    so many to be found. What do you think users do that opens that particular
    port? Why would they turn on file sharing? (Maybe I just don't understand
    the benefits of turning file sharing on.)

    darkrats wrote:
    > Are you sure about this?
    >
    > Netbios (port 139) appears to be open on every Windows 98 machine. And with
    > the proper little program, you can easily enter and poke around the hard
    > drives of those machines.

    This is only if the NetBIOS protocol is installed and gives you only
    access to drives marked as "shared".

    You can have, say, just TCP/IP on a Windows 98SE machine and it is fine.

    If you use sharing tho, it's good to have a firewall, at least to
    minimize your computer flooding the internet with pointless NetBIOS probes.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian: