folder's icons

.......Quote...of Folders's Readme.....
All file folders are represented in Explorer by the same bland icon. PC
Magazine's Folders utility takes advantage of a feature introduced with
Active Desktop to allow you to change a folder's icon. When Folders is
installed, a new item titled "Folders - Change Icon" appears on the
context menu that pops up when you right-click on a folder. Folders was
written by Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine, October
20, 1998 (v17n18).
.......End quote......

http://www.pcmag.com/ Has many, many great utilities: BHOCop, COA2,
ContextEdit, Crackup, DiskAction, EndItAll2, Folders, HDValet, InCtrl5,
ListZapper, RegDetective, RegEdit+, StartupCop, WinTidy, etc. Now,
suddenly, there is a subscription fee at PCMag, but, it's worth it,
especially if you can get the whole bundle that is there.

..........Start..................
Yearly billing $19.97
Yearly billing (For PC Magazine subscribers) $14.97
Monthly billing (limit 3 downloads/month) $4.97
..........End...................

You may try Google, but do you really want to download from any odd
site?
http://www.google.com/

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Is it possible that we assign different icons to different folders?
thanks.

You can do this manually by following the instructions at David Candy's Serenity
Macros website:
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/
In the left frame of the web page, uner Windows 98, click Icons.
Click to expand the section on the right for "Setting Icons for Individual Folders"

<quote>
Copy the following lines (below) into a file called Desktop.ini and save it in the
folder you want to customise. This
file may exist in the folder in which case edit the file and add or edit the
following lines. This as written
sets the icon to a tree, see Shell Icons tip on this page for how to find an icon
If designing your own icons you can use a bitmap file (bmp). A good size is 16 x 16
for small icons and 32
x 32 for large. When using bitmaps as icons the colour of the upper left pixel
becomes the invisible colour.
If the icon and desktop.ini file are in the same directory there is no need for a
path.

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\shell32.dll
IconIndex=41
InfoTip=An optional description for the folder that displays in a pop up tip and web
view when selected

This file usually has its hidden attribute set, though it doesn't have to. Right
click it and choose
Properties then check the Hidden checkbox.
The folder it's stored in also needs to have its system or read only attribute set.
<quote>
The easiest way to do that is to right-click the folder, click Properties, chack the
box for "Read Only" and click Apply or OK.

Another option is to use the freeware ActivIcons from Icon Forge:
http://www.cursorarts.com/ca_aifw.html

To change the icons for individual folders with ActivIcons, you MUST have Active
Desktop enabled, which I do not like to use. In the program, click "Directories" on
the left, and then choose the folder whose icon you want to change.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm