Unable to install voicechat plugin update. Could KB891711 ..

I subscribe to a chat service which includes a voice chat function
called UniVoice. In the past, updates have installed into Downloaded
Program Files, with associated registry entries.

But now, the files for the new version, including a CAB file, appear
to download ok into Temporary Internet Files, but only a couple
files from the CAB end up being transferred into downlo~1.

I have no firewall or realtime virus checker, and nothing else
running. The only thing I can think of that's changed is the
Windows Update stuff, and just wondered if something there might
explain this - something that used to work that's no longer
permitted. The update is all happening under IE5.5, and is supposed
to happen automatically.

I'm still running IE 5.5 SP2 under 98SE.

I've emailed the service, but haven't gotten a meaningful response
yet.

Any ideas?

the update may require IE6 SP1, it is years sinceIE5.5 was current
the non existent av & firewall could be the problem

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I subscribe to a chat service which includes a voice chat function
| called UniVoice. In the past, updates have installed into Downloaded
| Program Files, with associated registry entries.
|
| But now, the files for the new version, including a CAB file, appear
| to download ok into Temporary Internet Files, but only a couple
| files from the CAB end up being transferred into downlo~1.
|
| I have no firewall or realtime virus checker, and nothing else
| running. The only thing I can think of that's changed is the
| Windows Update stuff, and just wondered if something there might
| explain this - something that used to work that's no longer
| permitted. The update is all happening under IE5.5, and is supposed
| to happen automatically.
|
| I'm still running IE 5.5 SP2 under 98SE.
|
| I've emailed the service, but haven't gotten a meaningful response
| yet.
|
| Any ideas?

Does UniVoice work? I don't believe I ever saw Registry entries or .cab
files in "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files". How do you expect to see
Registry entries there? Did you use FIND to search the entire partition
for that specific .cab file, which is what?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Peabody" <waybackKILLSPAM44@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I subscribe to a chat service which includes a voice chat function
| called UniVoice. In the past, updates have installed into Downloaded
| Program Files, with associated registry entries.
|
| But now, the files for the new version, including a CAB file, appear
| to download ok into Temporary Internet Files, but only a couple
| files from the CAB end up being transferred into downlo~1.
|
| I have no firewall or realtime virus checker, and nothing else
| running. The only thing I can think of that's changed is the
| Windows Update stuff, and just wondered if something there might
| explain this - something that used to work that's no longer
| permitted. The update is all happening under IE5.5, and is supposed
| to happen automatically.
|
| I'm still running IE 5.5 SP2 under 98SE.
|
| I've emailed the service, but haven't gotten a meaningful response
| yet.
|
| Any ideas?

PCR says...

> Does UniVoice work?

No. There's nothing left of the old version that used to
work. I guess those files were deleted during the attempted
install.

> I don't believe I ever saw Registry entries or .cab
> files in "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files". How do
> you expect to see Registry entries there? Did you use
> FIND to search the entire partition for that specific
> .cab file, which is what?

I used INCTRL5 to tell me everything that changed during the
attempted Univoice install, including all changes to
folders, files or the registry. The cab file was one of
five files placed in Temporary Internet Files during the
attempted install. Then, two .xml files from the cab ended
up in D-P-F. There were no registry entries made.

My memory from earlier working versions is that some
Univoice executables ended up in D-P-F.

I found an error log which I'll reproduce below. I've sent
it to customer service, but haven't heard back. If I don't
get an answer, I'll probably "upgrade" to IE6. Been
avoiding that. But at this point I don't know if the thing
will run at all under 98SE anymore. If not, I'm just out of
luck.

*** Code Download Log entry (05 Jul 2005 @ 08:02:54) ***
Code Download Error: (hr = 80070078) This function is only
valid in Win32 mode.

Operation failed. Detailed Information:
CodeBase: http://www.webcamnow.com/fs5/voice/voice-installer.cab
CLSID: {02AA9E0F-B4EB-4BE9-A769-FD09543FEEC2}
Extension:
Type:

LOG: Item UniInstaller.dll being processed.