Free Memory

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b } Memory
July 5, 2005 6:12:35 PM

Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to open another
browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough free
memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram memory and
a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
Sol

More about : free memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 5, 2005 10:40:11 PM

"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to open another
>browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough free
>memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram memory and
>a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
>Sol

That error message can be produced if you have set a maximum size
limit for the Virtual Memory Swap File.

Check this by using Control Panel - System - Performance - Virtual
Memory and looking at the (grayed out) entry for Maximum. It *must*
either read "no maximum" or 2048 mb (which is 2 gb).

Never repeat never set a maximum size limit for the swap file in
Windows 95/98/Me, unless that limit is 2 gb (which is the maximum size
that these Windows versions can use).

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 5, 2005 10:40:12 PM

Thank you .That is how I had it set till now.
Sol
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to open
another
> >browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough free
> >memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram memory
and
> >a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
> >Sol
> >

> That error message can be produced if you have set a maximum size
> limit for the Virtual Memory Swap File.
>
> Check this by using Control Panel - System - Performance - Virtual
> Memory and looking at the (grayed out) entry for Maximum. It *must*
> either read "no maximum" or 2048 mb (which is 2 gb).
>
> Never repeat never set a maximum size limit for the swap file in
> Windows 95/98/Me, unless that limit is 2 gb (which is the maximum size
> that these Windows versions can use).
>
> Hope this is of some assistance.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
a b } Memory
July 5, 2005 11:11:21 PM

You are IE6, Solkeys? Then... did you do a delete, move or copy of a
massive number of files using Explorer during that session? Doing so can
cause that error, (which a reboot will cure, but it isn't pleasant). I
find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet, can do the delete properly
(so long as you don't let it involve the Recycle Bin). Also...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
....has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to open
another
| browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough free
| memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram
memory and
| a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
| Sol

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 5, 2005 11:55:20 PM

Thanks. Are you sure the Microsoft page you send is correct, because it is
not about memory errors.
Sol
> You are IE6, Solkeys? Then... did you do a delete, move or copy of a
> massive number of files using Explorer during that session? Doing so can
> cause that error, (which a reboot will cure, but it isn't pleasant). I
> find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet, can do the delete properly
> (so long as you don't let it involve the Recycle Bin). Also...
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
> ...has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
> That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to open
> another
> | browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough free
> | memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram
> memory and
> | a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
> | Sol

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 6, 2005 7:01:17 PM

You are welcome. Huh!? Glee SWORE he would have MS fix that page! Well,
turn your own back on, then...

Every cumulative IE critical Windows Update will take your
Troubleshooters away, for security reasons.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188867
Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems. This article contains a
link to what it says is the equivalent of the Windows Help
Troubleshooters...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/tshoot
That's it, but it doesn't always work. So, here is how to get them back
when offline...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the undo .reg that follows. The .reg's
only disable/enable the kill bit.

(1) "START, Find, F&F, Tshoot.inf"; R-Clk it & select "Install".
You still won't have the Troubleshooters yet.
(2) "START button, Run, RegEdit"
(3) Navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}

Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024) <<Dword value 400

....this way...
(a) Click plus signs, beginning with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE",
& ending with "ActiveX Compatibility".
(b) Click "{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}" itself in the left
pane. Now, you see "Compatibility Flags 0x00000400 (1024)" in the
right pane.
(c) Use Regedit's "Registry menu, Export Registry file".

This will create a ".reg" file of the entire Key that is open...
all the items in the right pane & all sub-keys in the left pane (if
there is a plus sign to the one selected). Give it a name & location of
your choosing, even to the Desktop or My Documents. Name that one
"NoTrouble.reg". It will look like...

....Start.....
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

....End.......

(d) Close RegEdit. You now have an "undo" .reg, named "NoTrouble.reg".
(e) Make a copy of it called "Trouble.reg".
(f) Open "Trouble.reg" in Notepad. Change the "dword" to look as
follows... all zeros...

....Start..of "Trouble.reg"...
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX
Compatibility\{4B106874-DD36-11D0-8B44-00A024DD9EFF}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

....End.......

CAREFUL: That "HKEY" is one line, with TWO spaces only. One between
"Internet Explorer", & the other between "ActiveX Compatibility". Make
sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also, you
must have an empty line at bottom.

Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg" will
give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after you
are done looking at the Troubleshooters.

(2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the "Set
Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
select "Merge".

--
| Thanks. Are you sure the Microsoft page you send is correct, because
it is
| not about memory errors.
| Sol
| > You are IE6, Solkeys? Then... did you do a delete, move or copy of a
| > massive number of files using Explorer during that session? Doing so
can
| > cause that error, (which a reboot will cure, but it isn't pleasant).
| > find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet, can do the delete
properly
| > (so long as you don't let it involve the Recycle Bin). Also...
| > http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
| > ...has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
| > That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Lately while browsing a while on the web, and if I will try to
open
| > another
| > | browser or any program I will get a message " There is not enough
free
| > | memory to run this program". I am wondering why I have 352 MB ram
| > memory and
| > | a 20 GB hard drive with less then half used?
| > | Sol
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 6, 2005 9:05:41 PM

I don't understand how all this has to do with my problem I don't have a
startup problem.
Sol
> [...]
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks. Are you sure the Microsoft page you send is correct, because
> it is
> | not about memory errors.
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > You are IE6, Solkeys? Then... did you do a delete, move or copy of a
> | > massive number of files using Explorer during that session? Doing so
> can
> | > cause that error, (which a reboot will cure, but it isn't pleasant).
> | > find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet, can do the delete
> properly
> | > (so long as you don't let it involve the Recycle Bin). Also...
> | > http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
> | > ...has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
> | > That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 6, 2005 9:09:43 PM

I just the following message when I tried to go from newsgroups to my inbox,
didn't move or delete any big files just playing a game online.
> [...]
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks. Are you sure the Microsoft page you send is correct, because
> it is
> | not about memory errors.
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > You are IE6, Solkeys? Then... did you do a delete, move or copy of a
> | > massive number of files using Explorer during that session? Doing so
> can
> | > cause that error, (which a reboot will cure, but it isn't pleasant).
> | > find that a 3rd party app, such as HDValet, can do the delete
> properly
> | > (so long as you don't let it involve the Recycle Bin). Also...
> | > http://cquirke.mvps.org/bexp1.htm
> | > ...has a solution that has pleased some.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
> | > That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2005 6:23:56 PM

No, one of the Troubleshooters is for low memory problems. It could be
your online game is using a lot of it or otherwise misbehaving.

--

> [...]

| > are done looking at the Troubleshooters.
| >

| > (2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
| > Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
| > Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
| > click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the
"Set
| > Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
| > Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &
| > select "Merge".
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Thanks. Are you sure the Microsoft page you send is correct,

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2005 6:33:01 PM

I can't locate the Troubleshooters for low memory. I would appreciate if
you can send me the link.
Sol
> [...]
> Make
> | > sure it looks that way in Notepad, before you click to Save. Also,
> you
> | > must have an empty line at bottom.
> | >
> | > Now, "Trouble.reg" gives you the Troubleshooters. "NoTrouble.reg"
> will
> | > give you security by taking them away. Remember to undo it, after
> you
> | > are done looking at the Troubleshooters.
> | >

> | > (2) By default, when a ".reg" is clicked, it will Merge into the
> | > Registry. To alter the default behavior: "START, Settings, Folder
> | > Options, File Types tab". Scroll to & click "Registration Entries",
> | > click the "Edit" button, select "edit" in the window & click the
> "Set
> | > Default" button. Now, when you click a ".reg" file, it will open in
> | > Notepad for examination. To merge it into the Registry, R-Clk it &

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2005 7:06:24 PM

I did...!...
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.

But it doesn't work! You must use your own in "START, Help". They won't
work, either, until you turn them back on, though, as I posted.

--
| I can't locate the Troubleshooters for low memory. I would appreciate
if
| you can send me the link.
| Sol
| > No, one of the Troubleshooters is for low memory problems. It could
be
| > your online game is using a lot of it or otherwise misbehaving.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | I don't understand how all this has to do with my problem I don't
have
| > | startup problem.
| > | Sol
| >
| > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | I just the following message when I tried to go from newsgroups to
my
| > inbox,
| > | didn't move or delete any big files just playing a game online.
| > | Sol
| > | Folder could not be displayed
| > | Outlook Express could not open this folder.
| > |
| > | Possible causes are:
| > |
| > | Low disk space.
| > | Low memory.
| > |
| > | Outlook Express
| >
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > Well,

| > back

| > files
| > .reg's

| > left

| > open...
| > of

| > "NoTrouble.reg".

Compatibility".
| > Make
Also,
| > you

"NoTrouble.reg"
| > will
| > you

Folder
Entries",
| > "Set

| > because
| > of a
| > Doing so
| > pleasant).
Also...

| > | > |

| > |

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...

| > enough
MB
| > ram
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2005 8:02:09 PM

This is what I get "The Requested Web Page is Not Available". I don't
understand how I can get there?
Sol
> [...]
>
> But it doesn't work! You must use your own in "START, Help". They won't
> work, either, until you turn them back on, though, as I posted.
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I can't locate the Troubleshooters for low memory. I would appreciate
> if
> | you can send me the link.
> | Sol
> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > No, one of the Troubleshooters is for low memory problems. It could
> be
> | > your online game is using a lot of it or otherwise misbehaving.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 7, 2005 8:11:19 PM

I went to the windows Help. went to troubleshooting memory clicked display,
when I click here to start memory troubleshooter, and I get where it asks
what problem I have I clicked the middle one "I receive an Out of Memory
error message when I try to start a program or while a program is running" I
clicked next but nothing shows up in the next screen.
Sol
> This is what I get "The Requested Web Page is Not Available". I don't
> understand how I can get there?
> Sol
> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > I did...!...

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...
> > That is the Windows Troubleshooter for out of memory errors.
> >
> > But it doesn't work! You must use your own in "START, Help". They won't
> > work, either, until you turn them back on, though, as I posted.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > | I can't locate the Troubleshooters for low memory. I would appreciate
> > if
> > | you can send me the link.
> > | Sol
> > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > be

> > have

> > my
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |

> > page!

> > contains a
> > them

> > the

> > (if
> > location
> > one

> > between
> > Compatibility".
> > Also,

> > "NoTrouble.reg"
> > after

> > Folder
> > Entries",
> > in
> > &

> > copy
> > delete
> > Also...
> > | > | > | >

> > | > | > |

> > | > |

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=http%3a%2f%2fsupport...

> > try to
> > MB
> > | > | > | > |
> > | > | > | > |

> > | > | > |
> > | > | > |

> > | > |
> > | > |

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 8, 2005 3:41:16 PM

Wait for Glee to fix that MS site, OR...

NOTE: This first step undoes a security measure put into one/two files
that will not get reinstated by the undo .reg (NoTrouble.reg) that

| I went to the windows Help. went to troubleshooting memory clicked
display,
| when I click here to start memory troubleshooter, and I get where it
asks
| what problem I have I clicked the middle one "I receive an Out of
Memory
| error message when I try to start a program or while a program is
running" I
| clicked next but nothing shows up in the next screen.
| Sol
| "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
....snip
!