File Properties - Attributes

Hello,
I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All the
files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files individually,
redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at one
time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.

One more question, using Nero burning s/w, can the user stop Nero from
changing the file attributes to Read Only??
This is a real sorry burning lesson!!

Thank you,
Star
4 answers Last reply
More about file properties attributes

    "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All
    the
    > files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
    > someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files
    individually,
    > redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
    > change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at
    one
    > time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
    > this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

    Click on Edit and choose "Select All"

    Right-click on the highlighted list of file names
    and choose "Properties"

    Remove the Check Mark in the "Read-only" box

    Click "Apply"

    Mission accomplished.

    OR

    At any C: prompt, type attrib -r C:\FolderName\*.* /s

    That will change all files within that folder/subfolder
    but not the folders themselves.

    You'll receive a message that hidden files are not being reset.
    If you want them to be reset also, add -h to the command.

    > I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
    > Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.

    It's normal for the Read-only attribute to be set ON when you copy to a CD.
    After all, a CD is a read-only medium.

    Unfortunately, the Nero programmers haven't figured out
    that a backup CDR will NOT normally contain
    files which we the people wish to be treated as read-only,
    specifically when they need to be restored to a hard drive .

    > One more question, using Nero burning s/w, can the user stop Nero from
    > changing the file attributes to Read Only??

    Zip them.

    > This is a real sorry burning lesson!!

    Live and learn.

    > Thank you,
    > Star

    If you want to change all files in one folder, then select them all
    with Ctrl+A, rightclick, select Properties and change the attributes
    for all of them.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Hugh Candlin wrote:

    > "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All
    > the
    >>files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
    >>someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files
    > individually,
    >>redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
    >>change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at
    > one
    >>time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
    >>this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

    <snip>

    >>I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
    >>Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.
    >

    > It's normal for the Read-only attribute to be set ON when you copy to a CD.
    > After all, a CD is a read-only medium.
    >
    > Unfortunately, the Nero programmers haven't figured out
    > that a backup CDR will NOT normally contain
    > files which we the people wish to be treated as read-only,
    > specifically when they need to be restored to a hard drive .

    Well, the M$ progammers seems to have figured it out at last. It's one
    of the differences i do appreciate when comparing Win98 to WinXP. WinXP
    *do* automatically strip the read-only attributes from files you copy
    from a (ROM) CD medium to a (RAM) HardDisk Drive medium.

    I'm hoping for a Win98 patch for this ... yeah right. LOL

    --
    Please followup in newsgroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

    Dah... I must of had my head in the sand... I should of figured it out. I
    was frustrated, tired and greatly annoyed upon the discovery. My
    frustration made a simple task too difficult for me, thanks for showing me
    *the light*!!

    Star

    <snip>

Read Only Microsoft Windows