  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 5, 2005 5:05:33 PM

Hello,
I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All the
files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files individually,
redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at one
time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.

One more question, using Nero burning s/w, can the user stop Nero from
changing the file attributes to Read Only??
This is a real sorry burning lesson!!

Thank you,
Star

More about : file properties attributes

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:34:24 PM

"Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All
the
> files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
> someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files
individually,
> redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
> change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at
one
> time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
> this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

Click on Edit and choose "Select All"

Right-click on the highlighted list of file names
and choose "Properties"

Remove the Check Mark in the "Read-only" box

Click "Apply"

Mission accomplished.

OR

At any C: prompt, type attrib -r C:\FolderName\*.* /s

That will change all files within that folder/subfolder
but not the folders themselves.

You'll receive a message that hidden files are not being reset.
If you want them to be reset also, add -h to the command.

> I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
> Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.

It's normal for the Read-only attribute to be set ON when you copy to a CD.
After all, a CD is a read-only medium.

Unfortunately, the Nero programmers haven't figured out
that a backup CDR will NOT normally contain
files which we the people wish to be treated as read-only,
specifically when they need to be restored to a hard drive .

> One more question, using Nero burning s/w, can the user stop Nero from
> changing the file attributes to Read Only??

Zip them.

> This is a real sorry burning lesson!!

Live and learn.

> Thank you,
> Star
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 11:37:47 AM

If you want to change all files in one folder, then select them all
with Ctrl+A, rightclick, select Properties and change the attributes
for all of them.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Star" <star@oceans.com>
wrote:

>Hello,
>I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All the
>files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
>someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files individually,
>redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
>change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at one
>time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
>this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!
>
>I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
>Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.
July 6, 2005 8:43:30 PM

Hugh Candlin wrote:

> "Star" <star@oceans.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>I need to change file attributes for more files than I can count!! All
> the
>>files have the *Read Only* attribute checked in file properties. I hope
>>someone can help me w/this!! Yesterday, I did over 200 files
> individually,
>>redundant nightmare!! I have 50 files per folder and I would like to
>>change/uncheck the Read Only attribute for all the files in a folder *at
> one
>>time, NOT individually*. I hope there is an answer for me to accomplish
>>this task, because I'm really depressed about this!!

<snip>

>>I restored these files/copied to my puter from cd's, I burned them using
>>Nero and now the files have Read Only attributes.
>

> It's normal for the Read-only attribute to be set ON when you copy to a CD.
> After all, a CD is a read-only medium.
>
> Unfortunately, the Nero programmers haven't figured out
> that a backup CDR will NOT normally contain
> files which we the people wish to be treated as read-only,
> specifically when they need to be restored to a hard drive .

Well, the M$ progammers seems to have figured it out at last. It's one
of the differences i do appreciate when comparing Win98 to WinXP. WinXP
*do* automatically strip the read-only attributes from files you copy
from a (ROM) CD medium to a (RAM) HardDisk Drive medium.

I'm hoping for a Win98 patch for this ... yeah right. LOL

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Dah... I must of had my head in the sand... I should of figured it out. I
was frustrated, tired and greatly annoyed upon the discovery. My
frustration made a simple task too difficult for me, thanks for showing me
*the light*!!

Star

<snip>
!