kt6v-lsr compatibility issues with 3gb/s sata?

ssroads

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I purchased a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160gb 3gb/s drive last week and tried installing it onto my MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, only to find that the drive is pretty much non-existent to it. I tried some browsing on the web and found one person saying something about the VIA VT8237 chipset being incompatible with 3gb/s SATA. (The mobo has 1.5gb/s SATA). I was hoping to find some form of confirmation on this, or additional info or any ideas as to what I can/should do about it.. whether it's a fix, workaround, or just advice to get a new mobo. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

pat

Expert
I purchased a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160gb 3gb/s drive last week and tried installing it onto my MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, only to find that the drive is pretty much non-existent to it. I tried some browsing on the web and found one person saying something about the VIA VT8237 chipset being incompatible with 3gb/s SATA. (The mobo has 1.5gb/s SATA). I was hoping to find some form of confirmation on this, or additional info or any ideas as to what I can/should do about it.. whether it's a fix, workaround, or just advice to get a new mobo. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There is a fix, usually written on the HDD label. read the fine prints..

ssroads

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
huh, whattya know, there's a jumper setting there. ok motherboard is detecting it now, and i'll admit i feel a bit like a tool for not thinking of that, heh. but thanks much!