CD-ROM drive not working!

My CD-ROM drive appears to be malfunctioning. The drive is obviously
receiving power, and it is recognized by my computer. Yet, when I put a CD
in the drive, the computer continues as though I had not. What's up with
that?

--
Brandon Taylor

Have you tried cleaning the drive with an inexpensive audio CD player
cleaning disc?

"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My CD-ROM drive appears to be malfunctioning. The drive is obviously
> receiving power, and it is recognized by my computer. Yet, when I put a
> CD
> in the drive, the computer continues as though I had not. What's up with
> that?
>
> --
> Brandon Taylor

(1) What is set at...?...

(a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
(b) Open the CD-ROM branch
(c) D-Clk the CD-ROM device that appears under it for Properties

Does it have a letter? I am checked there for... Disconnect, Auto insert
notification, & DMA.

(2) What shows in this Registry key...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
plorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:95,00,00,00
"CDRAutoRun"=hex:00,00,00,00

HOWEVER, if I may quote cquirke, (Blanton too)...
...........Quote.............
In registry, look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun
95 is default value, but *dangerous*; this autoruns HD too!
9D is better value, allows CD autorun, suppresses HD autorun
B5 disables CD autorun, enables HD autorun (bad)
BD disables CD autorun, disables HD autorun (better)
00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
...........EOQ...............

Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| My CD-ROM drive appears to be malfunctioning. The drive is obviously
| receiving power, and it is recognized by my computer. Yet, when I put
a CD
| in the drive, the computer continues as though I had not. What's up
with
| that?
|
| --
| Brandon Taylor

Also...

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
Search "Autorun"; Windows 98; Full Text; produces two pages full,
including...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312475&Product=w98
CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your CD-ROM
or DVD-ROM Drive
(312475) - When you insert a CD-ROM that contains an Autorun.inf file
into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, the CD-ROM may not start
and run automatically as expected. Additionally, when you right-click
the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer or...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically When Inserted
(177880) - When you insert a CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, it may not be
run automatically.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
CD-ROM Drive Icon Appears for a Hard Disk
(185552) - When you open My Computer, your hard disk icon may appear as
a CD-ROM icon. If you double-click (or right-click and then click Open)
the CD-ROM in My Computer, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot find autorun.exe.

--
| (1) What is set at...?...
|
| (a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
| (b) Open the CD-ROM branch
| (c) D-Clk the CD-ROM device that appears under it for Properties
|
| Does it have a letter? I am checked there for... Disconnect, Auto
insert
| notification, & DMA.
|
| (2) What shows in this Registry key...
|
| REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
| plorer]
| "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:95,00,00,00
| "CDRAutoRun"=hex:00,00,00,00
|
| HOWEVER, if I may quote cquirke, (Blanton too)...
| ..........Quote.............
| In registry, look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun
| 95 is default value, but *dangerous*; this autoruns HD too!
| 9D is better value, allows CD autorun, suppresses HD autorun
| B5 disables CD autorun, enables HD autorun (bad)
| BD disables CD autorun, disables HD autorun (better)
| 00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
| FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
| TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
| ..........EOQ...............
|
| Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| | My CD-ROM drive appears to be malfunctioning. The drive is
obviously
| | receiving power, and it is recognized by my computer. Yet, when I
put
| a CD
| | in the drive, the computer continues as though I had not. What's up
| with
| | that?
| |
| | --
| | Brandon Taylor
| |
| |

That's not the issue. Forgive me for a poor choice of words. I meant to
say that the CD-ROM drive responds as if I had not inserted a CD in the
drive, and tells Windows that the device is not ready, even though I do
insert a CD.

> [...]
> | 00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
> | FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
> | TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
> | ..........EOQ...............
> |
> | Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?
> |

> | --
> | Thanks or Good Luck,
> | There may be humor in this post, and,
> | Naturally, you will not sue,
> | should things get worse after this,
> | PCR
> | pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | | My CD-ROM drive appears to be malfunctioning. The drive is
> obviously
> | | receiving power, and it is recognized by my computer. Yet, when I
> put
> | a CD
> | | in the drive, the computer continues as though I had not. What's up

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q237948
Troubleshoot CD-R_W

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218617
Troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM

I guess, a first try would be...

(1) Boot to Safe Mode. (Hold F5 as you boot, or hold CTRL for the
Startup Menu, & select Safe Mode from that.)
(2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
(3) Open the CD-ROM branch, by clicking it's plus sign.
(4) Highlight each drive in that branch, & click "Remove".
(Safe Mode may reveal the presence of a "ghost".)
(5) Close up, & boot to Normal Mode.

Hopefully Windows will find the correct drivers, & all will be well.

As cquirke once said, "Control Panel, System, Performance tab". Are you
in "compatibility" mode? Then, try his site...
http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/doscompat.htm

Also...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130179&Product=w98
Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks
(130179) - The Performance tab in System properties shows that one or
more of the hard disks in your computer is using MS-DOS Compatibility
mode. MS-DOS compatibility mode may be in use either for the file system
or for virtual memory. You may receive the...

Also...

To see whether the CD-ROM is physically functioning, it can be run
independently of Windows...

Get a Startup Diskette from
http://www.bootdisk.com/ , if you don't already have one from "Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup Disk tab". Test the Startup
Diskette. Boot it, put in a CD and "DIR" the CD. It will say which
letter is the CD. (Otherwise, it is likely one letter higher than
normal.) That is, "DIR X:", where "X:" is the CD-ROM letter.

If you cannot boot the Startup Diskette, you must be sent into BIOS. If
the CD-ROM does work in DOS after the Diskette has boot, it is likely
there is a problem with the Windows 32-bit drivers or settings.

--
| That's not the issue. Forgive me for a poor choice of words. I meant
| say that the CD-ROM drive responds as if I had not inserted a CD in
the
| drive, and tells Windows that the device is not ready, even though I
do
| insert a CD.

| > Also...
| >
| > http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
MSKB
| > Search "Autorun"; Windows 98; Full Text; produces two pages full,
| > including...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312475&Product=w98
| > CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically After You Insert It into Your
CD-ROM
| > or DVD-ROM Drive
| > (312475) - When you insert a CD-ROM that contains an Autorun.inf
file
| > into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, the CD-ROM may not
start
| > and run automatically as expected. Additionally, when you
right-click
| > the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive in Windows Explorer or...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
| > CD-ROM Does Not Run Automatically When Inserted
| > (177880) - When you insert a CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, it may
not be
| > run automatically.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
| > CD-ROM Drive Icon Appears for a Hard Disk
| > (185552) - When you open My Computer, your hard disk icon may appear
as
| > a CD-ROM icon. If you double-click (or right-click and then click
Open)
| > the CD-ROM in My Computer, you may receive the following error
message:
| > Cannot find autorun.exe.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > | (1) What is set at...?...
| > |
| > | (a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
| > | (b) Open the CD-ROM branch
| > | (c) D-Clk the CD-ROM device that appears under it for Properties
| > |
| > | Does it have a letter? I am checked there for... Disconnect, Auto
| > insert
| > | notification, & DMA.
| > |
| > | (2) What shows in this Registry key...
| > |
| > | REGEDIT4
| > |
| > |

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
| > | plorer]
| > | "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:95,00,00,00
| > | "CDRAutoRun"=hex:00,00,00,00
| > |
| > | HOWEVER, if I may quote cquirke, (Blanton too)...
| > | ..........Quote.............
| > | In registry, look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun
| > | 95 is default value, but *dangerous*; this autoruns HD too!
| > | 9D is better value, allows CD autorun, suppresses HD autorun
| > | B5 disables CD autorun, enables HD autorun (bad)
| > | BD disables CD autorun, disables HD autorun (better)
| > | 00 allows all devices to autorun (supremo bad)
| > | FF allows no devices to autorun (supremo safe)
| > | TwaekUI's Paranoi tab works through this setting
| > | ..........EOQ...............
| > |
| > | Is there an "Autorun.inf" on the CD?
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,
| > | There may be humor in this post, and,
| > | Naturally, you will not sue,
| > | should things get worse after this,
| > | PCR
| > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > | "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > obviously
| > put
| > | a CD
What's up
| > | with
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

No good. I booted into a command prompt and inserted a CD. When I
attempted to access my CD-ROM drive, the command prompt responded with the
error message "Invalid drive specification."

> [...]
> | > a CD-ROM icon. If you double-click (or right-click and then click
> Open)
> | > the CD-ROM in My Computer, you may receive the following error
> message:
> | > Cannot find autorun.exe.
> | >

> | > --
> | > Thanks or Good Luck,
> | > There may be humor in this post, and,
> | > Naturally, you will not sue,
> | > should things get worse after this,
> | > PCR
> | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> | > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> | > |
> | > |
> | > insert
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex

C:\>dir X:
Invalid drive specification

That happens when you type an unassigned drive letter. Did you do this
after booting a Startup Diskette? What letter did it say the CD-ROM was?

--
"Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
If
| > the CD-ROM does work in DOS after the Diskette has boot, it is
likely
| > there is a problem with the Windows 32-bit drivers or settings.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | That's not the issue. Forgive me for a poor choice of words. I
meant
| > | say that the CD-ROM drive responds as if I had not inserted a CD
in
| > the
| > | drive, and tells Windows that the device is not ready, even though
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

| > MSKB

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312475&Product=w98
| > CD-ROM
| > file
| > start
| > right-click

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
| > not be

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
| > as
| > Open)
| > message:

| > | > |
Properties
| > | > |
Auto
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > What's up
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

I am unable to boot from a startup disk, because my floppy disk drive is
also not working. I did this after holding Ctrl to get into the Windows 98
startup menu and selecting the "Command Prompt Only" function.

> [...]
> | > start
> | > right-click
> | > | >

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
> may
> | > not be
> | > | >

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
> appear
> | > as
> click
> | > Open)
> | > message:

> | > | > |
> Properties
> | > | > |
> Auto
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex

Your floppy is not working?
Troubleshooting Floppy Disk Drive Problems in Windows

Or is it just not booting the Startup Diskette? Then, enter BIOS & have
it boot the floppy above the hard drive.

For DOS to access the CD-ROM, you need lines in Config.sys &
Autoexec.bat. Something like...

....Config.sys...
DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.sys /V
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe NOEMS V
DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO
DEVICEHIGH=C:\Windows\System\CPQIDECD.sys /D:IDECD001

.....Autoexec.bat...
LoadHigh C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:IDECD001 /M:12

Can you get them in there?

(a) "START, Run, SysEdit", & post them.
(b) "START, Find, F/F, CPQIDECD.sys"
Do you have it?
(c) "START, Find, F/F, OakCDRom.sys"
May be an alternative.

--
| I am unable to boot from a startup disk, because my floppy disk drive
is
| also not working. I did this after holding Ctrl to get into the
Windows 98
| startup menu and selecting the "Command Prompt Only" function.

| > C:\>dir X:
| > Invalid drive specification
| >
| > That happens when you type an unassigned drive letter. Did you do
this
| > after booting a Startup Diskette? What letter did it say the CD-ROM
was?

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brandon Taylor" <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | No good. I booted into a command prompt and inserted a CD. When
| > | attempted to access my CD-ROM drive, the command prompt responded
with
| > the
| > | error message "Invalid drive specification."
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

Are
| > you

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130179&Product=w98
| > or
| > Compatibility
| > system

| > "Control

BIOS.
| > If
| > likely

| > meant
CD
| > in
| > | > |

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US
| > full,

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312475&Product=w98
Your
Autorun.inf

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177880&Product=w98
| > may

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;185552&Product=w98
| > appear
| > click

| > | > | > |
| > Properties
| > | > | > |
Disconnect,
| > Auto
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ex
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |