Another Bad MB or Just Plain Bad Luck??? Or Both???

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Problem: PC is unstable during game play. While playing COD2, I notice repeated sounds (machine gun fire basically repeated twice as fast as normal and as a single "note", not a full gunshot sound) Also, it has crashed many times (even with once stable OC settings). I have even replaced my XP-M with a stock Athlon XP 2600+ with the same results.

Question: One time upon boot up, I recieved several MS error messages saying that it was a device driver issue; however, I just reformatted (again because ASUS sent me another MB) and installed ALL new drivers. My main question is that if my two CPUs aren't working, could it be a defective CPU socket on the MB??? Or should I just try to reformat again?? (If I do, someone will need to give me an XP Pro CD key.... I've already registered too many times-my fault...).

Note: Just ran Memtest86 (with extended test ALL memory option), and my PC passed 3 times (roughly 3 hours). Also, I have tried playing COD2 with only 2 sticks of RAM with no solution.

I appreciate any help.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I would try updateing all the drivers, Direct X, Video, sound, .Net, its painfull but it may fix it.... if not then maybe your CPU is bad ? the odds are against it but if its not then maybe you did get another bad mobo... in wich case im sorry :(

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Not sure what your issue is, but as for microsoft, just call them and lie about how many machines you have XP installed on and they will give you a key over the phone (i've done it a few times 8O )

Have you tried stock CPu settings to see if those are stable?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Yup, I downclocked my XP-M 2600+ even to 166x12.5 @ 1.65V, and my current CPU is an XP 2600+ @ those settings (which are stock).

Here's the odd thing: Initially, the XP-M at a setting of 11x218Mhz @ 1.7V was stable (played COD2 for a little over a half an hour with no shudders, weird noises, or anything). Afterwords, I decided to disconnect the front audio port connectors (troubleshooting to see why my sound card produces static) and then I replaced the connections with the default jumpers. After that, I booted up my PC to find it unstable during games. Any input about that? Or is it just a coincidence???

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Hmmm weird. My speakers started getting wicked loud annoying static right before my mobo died. This wasn't your normal static, it was high pitched and only when i first powered on the mobo. Highly unlikely your in the same boat as I. Static can tend to creep in due to loose speaker connections to the sound card (used to have this problem with a laptop), and I doubt there is any correlation between front panel connectors and your instablity

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I have no idea, I just keep lieing to MS about how many comps I have XP installed on and they keep giving me codes so yeah heh. I usually only need a new code every 8 months or so, depending on how often I crash Windows (damn noobs borrowing my sh!t 8O ).

TRENDING THREADS