windows 98 problem

Somehow, I corrupted (or deleted) critical windows 98 files. Now, when I
boot the computer, it gets partway started, then stops loading, displaying
the following message on a black screen, with the cursor displayed as the
hour-glass:
"Fatal Error: Setup Frame Failure!"
What can I do to recover from this problem?

"roy82" <roy82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Somehow, I corrupted (or deleted) critical windows 98 files. Now, when I
>boot the computer, it gets partway started, then stops loading, displaying
>the following message on a black screen, with the cursor displayed as the
>hour-glass:
> "Fatal Error: Setup Frame Failure!"
>What can I do to recover from this problem?

A Google web search reveals only 4 references to this error. 2 of
these are in Danish and the other 2 are in Russian so I do not know if
any of them found a cure.

Try booting into Safe Mode.

Does the error still occur?

Are your Windows 98 install file (about 50 .CAB files plus a bunch of
others) on your hard drive? Usually they are in
c:\windows\options\cabs

If you have the files on the hard drive and if you have your Windows
Product Key (make certain of this) then you can try doing a reinstall
"over the top" using the .CAB files on the hard drive. I find that
this usually works well if I boot the computer into Safe Mode and then
run the SETUP.EXE file from the c:\windows\options\cabs folder. Just
locate it in Windows Explorer and double click on the file name.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't do as you suggested. I
don't have the original Windows 98 CD or its Product Key (this was an
orphaned PC from my daughter). I obtained a new (never used) Windows 98 CD
with its Product Key with the thought that I could install (re-install?) this
one. But when I go into Safe Mode (into which I arrive safely without my
original problem), I discover that Safe Mode does not support CD-ROM drives.
Any further suggestions? Thanks again.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "roy82" <roy82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Somehow, I corrupted (or deleted) critical windows 98 files. Now, when I
> >boot the computer, it gets partway started, then stops loading, displaying
> >the following message on a black screen, with the cursor displayed as the
> >hour-glass:
> > "Fatal Error: Setup Frame Failure!"
> >What can I do to recover from this problem?
>
> A Google web search reveals only 4 references to this error. 2 of
> these are in Danish and the other 2 are in Russian so I do not know if
> any of them found a cure.
>
> Try booting into Safe Mode.
>
> Does the error still occur?
>

> Are your Windows 98 install file (about 50 .CAB files plus a bunch of
> others) on your hard drive? Usually they are in
> c:\windows\options\cabs
>
> If you have the files on the hard drive and if you have your Windows
> Product Key (make certain of this) then you can try doing a reinstall
> "over the top" using the .CAB files on the hard drive. I find that
> this usually works well if I boot the computer into Safe Mode and then
> run the SETUP.EXE file from the c:\windows\options\cabs folder. Just
> locate it in Windows Explorer and double click on the file name.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

"roy82" <roy82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't do as you suggested. I
>don't have the original Windows 98 CD or its Product Key (this was an
>orphaned PC from my daughter). I obtained a new (never used) Windows 98 CD
>with its Product Key with the thought that I could install (re-install?) this
>one. But when I go into Safe Mode (into which I arrive safely without my
>original problem), I discover that Safe Mode does not support CD-ROM drives.
>Any further suggestions? Thanks again.

Boot the computer normally.
Insert the Windows 98 CD and copy the entire contents to a folder
named c:\win98 on your hard drive.

Then reboot into safe mode and install Windows 98 from the \win98
folder

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

To Ron:

Can't boot normally (remember original problem): bootup stops, computer
freezes showing a black screen, hourglass cursor, and DOS-style text error
message at the top of the screen: "Fatal Error: Setup Frame Failure". If I
bootup in Safe mode or to a command prompt, the computer is left in a state
in which the CD-ROM drive is not supported, so I can't copy the drive
contents to a folder in the WINDOWS directory.

"Ron Martell" wrote:

> "roy82" <roy82@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I can't do as you suggested. I
> >don't have the original Windows 98 CD or its Product Key (this was an
> >orphaned PC from my daughter). I obtained a new (never used) Windows 98 CD
> >with its Product Key with the thought that I could install (re-install?) this
> >one. But when I go into Safe Mode (into which I arrive safely without my
> >original problem), I discover that Safe Mode does not support CD-ROM drives.
> >Any further suggestions? Thanks again.
> >

> Boot the computer normally.
> Insert the Windows 98 CD and copy the entire contents to a folder
> named c:\win98 on your hard drive.
>
> Then reboot into safe mode and install Windows 98 from the \win98
> folder
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Start the computer in Safe mode, then click "Start", "Run", type "msconfig"
and click "OK". Click on the "Startup" tab and uncheck everything. If
the computer then starts normally, try starting or reenabling startup items
one at a time until you find the application causing the problem.

Ben