Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FS2000 and XP

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 31, 2005 1:44:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.

The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.

Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!

More about : fs2000

July 31, 2005 3:44:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

This doesn't answer your question, but when FS-2004 is available for half
price, why would anyone even consider FS-2000??
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:19:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

>I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
>friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.
>
>The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
>can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.
>
>Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2

Runs fine for me, but frankly why not at least upgrade to FS2002?
FS2000 is the worst of the series, even on older hardware I recommend
FS2002 that runs better with more features...

===
Best Regards
Katy
Related resources
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:30:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

It may well work ,but dont waste your time trying. Buy fs9 its far
superior and well supported, with plenty of add-ons available.

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
July 31, 2005 4:38:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Mainly because the guy using it is a sprightly 85, used to FS2000. He
likes single/twin prop engine planes.

He wasn't interested in the historical stuff in FS2004 (apart from the
DC3). So, it looks like FS2002.

The next unknown factor is his joystick which I know is recognised by
XP, but can only wait until FS2002 is installed before I can test it to
see if it works.

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
July 31, 2005 4:40:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I haven't heard of FS9.

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:58:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122831566.30535@forums.simradar.com...
>I haven't heard of FS9.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rannoch
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!

FS9=FS2004.

I am 70, expilot, like single/twins, don't fly for real anymore. And I would
not go back to FS2002 for anything, even as good as it was. Scenery better,
airports better, ATC better, etc, etc.in FS2004/FS9. Does have a patch
(FS9.1 update, DL from MS web site, read the readme before installing).

Since he has the computer horsepower to run it (Dell dimension 300 should be
great), I say go for it. He will not be sorry.

Oh, yeah, once it is installed, find and DL the FS9.1 no-cd file for it.
That way, the Disk 4 will not have to be left in the CD drive while using
the sim. Can be safely stored with all the other disks. But be sure you get
the FS9.1, NOT the one for the basic FS9. They are different. Sorry I do not
have a link for them, but they are easy to find with Google.

Paul

Paul
July 31, 2005 5:47:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

The funny thing is that the more I hear and read about FS2004, etc the
more interesting it becomes.

So, a few questions on my own behalf.

1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
a) understand b) operate

2) If I bought FS2004 what joystick would a) suit the program b) suit
my zero skill level, but have the functionality to grow as I gain more
knowledge

3) Is there anything else I need

4) This being Microsoft does the program need to be
registered/activated over the internet.

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:21:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Paul,

If you like the single/twin prop aircraft (i.e., DC-3/R4D/C47) why not join
DC3AIRWAYS.com?

Great bunch of guys there and they can answer most any question, but best of
all it is a "FREE" VA and they offer a lot of knowledge in FS.


"Paul Riley" <Falcon63624@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:VO6dnf8eLJzAjHDfRVn-jA@sirinet.net...
> "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> news:1122831566.30535@forums.simradar.com...
>>I haven't heard of FS9.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rannoch
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
>> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
>
> FS9=FS2004.
>
> I am 70, expilot, like single/twins, don't fly for real anymore. And I
> would not go back to FS2002 for anything, even as good as it was. Scenery
> better, airports better, ATC better, etc, etc.in FS2004/FS9. Does have a
> patch (FS9.1 update, DL from MS web site, read the readme before
> installing).
>
> Since he has the computer horsepower to run it (Dell dimension 300 should
> be great), I say go for it. He will not be sorry.
>
> Oh, yeah, once it is installed, find and DL the FS9.1 no-cd file for it.
> That way, the Disk 4 will not have to be left in the CD drive while using
> the sim. Can be safely stored with all the other disks. But be sure you
> get the FS9.1, NOT the one for the basic FS9. They are different. Sorry I
> do not have a link for them, but they are easy to find with Google.
>
> Paul
>
> Paul
>
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:21:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"phrgflyer" <1harryj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:QD8He.23025$Ie1.2551@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> Paul,
>
> If you like the single/twin prop aircraft (i.e., DC-3/R4D/C47) why not
> join DC3AIRWAYS.com?
>
> Great bunch of guys there and they can answer most any question, but best
> of all it is a "FREE" VA and they offer a lot of knowledge in FS.
>
>

Thanks for the invite. Friend of mine, the TexasAussie, is a member. Been
after me to join, but right now, I get in maybe one flight every couple of
weeks, assuming that is I am lucky enough to have that much free time. Just
have too much else going on.

Will keep it in mind though, sounds like fun, especially what I have been
hearing about it.

Regards,
Paul
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:58:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Rannoch

I can confirm that FS2000 would NOT work with XP (neither SP1 nor SP2) on my
'puter. Gigabyte SINXP1394 mobo with Intel 2.53 MHz CPU, ATI 9500 Pro
graphics card with 128 Mb memory and 1Gb Dual Channel DDR RAM.

Both FS 2002 and 2004 run well.

Rgds
Tim


"rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122821005.30535@forums.simradar.com...
> I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
> friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.
>
> The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
> can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.
>
> Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2
>
> Regards,
>
> Rannoch
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
July 31, 2005 7:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Sorry, one other question.

I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
drive while you are operating FS2004.

I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 11:23:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Yes, there is a program out there called NO-CD FS9.1 that is free.

phrgflyer

"rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122843376.31739@forums.simradar.com...
> Sorry, one other question.
>
> I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
> problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
> drive while you are operating FS2004.
>
> I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
> four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rannoch
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
August 1, 2005 2:28:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"rannoch"
> 1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
> consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
> a) understand b) operate

Like Bryan said... most of us here would never call it a game... it's a
simulator... I too, do not have games on my computer.

There are two kinds of people in the world: 1) those that want sit in seat
C34 and read their book 2) those that sit in seat C34 and wish they were up
front flying the aircraft. All us here are #2.

If you are a #2 also, you'd probably love the sim.

How hard? I'd say it's just like skiing. You can get on the hill the first
day and slide down slowly without instruction and have a great time. You
could also dive into it and a year from now be skiing Black Diamonds. :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:58:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

The No_CD file can be found here:

http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/nocd_cof.zip (For FS2004 with no patch).
http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/nocd_cof_9.1.zip (For FS2004 with the 9.1
patch).

BlindWrite will easily (and legally) make a personal backup copy of
CD#4. There is a fully-functional evaluation copy available here:
http://www.vso-software.fr/ .

Trip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"phrgflyer" <1harryj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:i2dHe.45571$sJ4.38167@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Yes, there is a program out there called NO-CD FS9.1 that is free.
>
> phrgflyer
>
> "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> news:1122843376.31739@forums.simradar.com...
>> Sorry, one other question.
>>
>> I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
>> problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
>> drive while you are operating FS2004.
>>
>> I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
>> four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rannoch
>>
>> _________________________________________________________
>> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
>> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
>
>
August 1, 2005 11:19:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gday there Rannoch


"rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
news:1122835565.28175@forums.simradar.com...
> The funny thing is that the more I hear and read about FS2004, etc the
> more interesting it becomes.
>
> So, a few questions on my own behalf.
>
> 1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
> consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
> a) understand b) operate

Shock,Horror!! It's not a game,it's a simulation lol
Seriously though,it's as easy as pie to get running straight out of the
box.As long as you know to pull back on the joystick to get into the air,the
rest will follow (your first few landing will be entertaining to say the
least lol). Video card drivers would be about the only thing that might need
attention,but even this is rare if your system is fairly new.

>
> 2) If I bought FS2004 what joystick would a) suit the program b) suit
> my zero skill level, but have the functionality to grow as I gain more
> knowledge

A basic (ie cheap) joystick will suffice. The most important things are that
it must have a throttle control and a twist grip (to control the rudder).
About 99% of suitable joysticks these days have these features,and the ones
that don't would be such cheap rubbish that you wouldn't want them anyway

>
> 3) Is there anything else I need


Not really.Once you become addicted (yes,addicted lol) your credit card
company will love you forever .Being an IT consultant, I am going to assume
you have a reasonably good computer

>
> 4) This being Microsoft does the program need to be
> registered/activated over the internet.

No.You can install it on as many machines as you like and they will all
connect together. You will need disk 4 to run it but there are ways around
this ie no-cd cracks, mounting virtual drive images

> Regards,
>
> Rannoch


Bryan

(Heres hoping for another convert lol)
August 1, 2005 11:32:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated.

I know you will have heard this question a million times before, but
I'd feel really upset (understatement) if I bought fs2004 and in a
couple of weeks time fs2006 appears.

Is FS2006 likely to appear this year?

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
August 1, 2005 11:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"rannoch"
> Is FS2006 likely to appear this year?

Ha! (Insider joke)

I know what you mean.. I purchased FS98 and didn't even get in installed
before FS2000 came out a week later. It pays to pay attention to this NG.
Anybody want to buy a virgin copy of FS98?

Answer: No, it will not be out this year.

Dallas
August 5, 2005 3:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Setup FS2002 on my friend's PC last night using a Logitech Extreme 3D
Pro joystick.

He's very pleased which is what matters.

Thanks for all the help. Very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rannoch

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
!