FS2000 and XP

I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.

The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.

Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2

Regards,

Rannoch

More about fs2000

    This doesn't answer your question, but when FS-2004 is available for half
    price, why would anyone even consider FS-2000??

    >I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
    >friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.
    >
    >The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
    >can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.
    >
    >Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2

    Runs fine for me, but frankly why not at least upgrade to FS2002?
    FS2000 is the worst of the series, even on older hardware I recommend
    FS2002 that runs better with more features...

    ===
    Best Regards
    Katy

    It may well work ,but dont waste your time trying. Buy fs9 its far
    superior and well supported, with plenty of add-ons available.

    Mainly because the guy using it is a sprightly 85, used to FS2000. He
    likes single/twin prop engine planes.

    He wasn't interested in the historical stuff in FS2004 (apart from the
    DC3). So, it looks like FS2002.

    The next unknown factor is his joystick which I know is recognised by
    XP, but can only wait until FS2002 is installed before I can test it to
    see if it works.

    Regards,

    Rannoch

    I haven't heard of FS9.

    Regards,

    Rannoch

    "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    >I haven't heard of FS9.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    FS9=FS2004.

    I am 70, expilot, like single/twins, don't fly for real anymore. And I would
    not go back to FS2002 for anything, even as good as it was. Scenery better,
    airports better, ATC better, etc, etc.in FS2004/FS9. Does have a patch
    (FS9.1 update, DL from MS web site, read the readme before installing).

    Since he has the computer horsepower to run it (Dell dimension 300 should be
    great), I say go for it. He will not be sorry.

    Oh, yeah, once it is installed, find and DL the FS9.1 no-cd file for it.
    That way, the Disk 4 will not have to be left in the CD drive while using
    the sim. Can be safely stored with all the other disks. But be sure you get
    the FS9.1, NOT the one for the basic FS9. They are different. Sorry I do not
    have a link for them, but they are easy to find with Google.

    Paul

    Paul

    The funny thing is that the more I hear and read about FS2004, etc the
    more interesting it becomes.

    So, a few questions on my own behalf.

    1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
    consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
    a) understand b) operate

    2) If I bought FS2004 what joystick would a) suit the program b) suit
    my zero skill level, but have the functionality to grow as I gain more
    knowledge

    3) Is there anything else I need

    4) This being Microsoft does the program need to be
    registered/activated over the internet.

    Regards,

    Rannoch

    Paul,

    If you like the single/twin prop aircraft (i.e., DC-3/R4D/C47) why not join
    DC3AIRWAYS.com?

    Great bunch of guys there and they can answer most any question, but best of
    all it is a "FREE" VA and they offer a lot of knowledge in FS.

    "phrgflyer" <1harryj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Paul,
    >
    > If you like the single/twin prop aircraft (i.e., DC-3/R4D/C47) why not
    > join DC3AIRWAYS.com?
    >
    > Great bunch of guys there and they can answer most any question, but best
    > of all it is a "FREE" VA and they offer a lot of knowledge in FS.

    Thanks for the invite. Friend of mine, the TexasAussie, is a member. Been
    after me to join, but right now, I get in maybe one flight every couple of
    weeks, assuming that is I am lucky enough to have that much free time. Just
    have too much else going on.

    Will keep it in mind though, sounds like fun, especially what I have been
    hearing about it.

    Regards,
    Paul

    Rannoch

    I can confirm that FS2000 would NOT work with XP (neither SP1 nor SP2) on my
    'puter. Gigabyte SINXP1394 mobo with Intel 2.53 MHz CPU, ATI 9500 Pro
    graphics card with 128 Mb memory and 1Gb Dual Channel DDR RAM.

    Both FS 2002 and 2004 run well.

    Rgds
    Tim

    > I'm currently installing a new Dell Diminsion 3000 (with XP sp2) for a
    > friend who was an ex-pilot and he used FS2000 on his win98 PC.
    >
    > The only piece of software left to be re-installed is FS2000, but I
    > can't do it yet as one of the disks is missing.
    >
    > Question is - can anyone confirm that FS2000 will work with XP SP2
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    Sorry, one other question.

    I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
    problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
    drive while you are operating FS2004.

    I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
    four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.

    Regards,

    Rannoch

    Yes, there is a program out there called NO-CD FS9.1 that is free.

    phrgflyer

    > Sorry, one other question.
    >
    > I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
    > problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
    > drive while you are operating FS2004.
    >
    > I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
    > four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    "rannoch"
    > 1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
    > consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
    > a) understand b) operate

    Like Bryan said... most of us here would never call it a game... it's a
    simulator... I too, do not have games on my computer.

    There are two kinds of people in the world: 1) those that want sit in seat
    C34 and read their book 2) those that sit in seat C34 and wish they were up
    front flying the aircraft. All us here are #2.

    If you are a #2 also, you'd probably love the sim.

    How hard? I'd say it's just like skiing. You can get on the hill the first
    day and slide down slowly without instruction and have a great time. You
    could also dive into it and a year from now be skiing Black Diamonds. :-)

    Dallas

    The No_CD file can be found here:

    http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/nocd_cof.zip (For FS2004 with no patch).
    http://www.scenery.org/_downloads/nocd_cof_9.1.zip (For FS2004 with the 9.1
    patch).

    BlindWrite will easily (and legally) make a personal backup copy of
    CD#4. There is a fully-functional evaluation copy available here:
    http://www.vso-software.fr/ .

    Trip

    > Yes, there is a program out there called NO-CD FS9.1 that is free.
    >
    > phrgflyer
    >
    > "rannoch" <rannoch@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry, one other question.
    >>
    >> I've read that the fourth FS2004 disc is not copyable (I have no
    >> problem with that), but that you need to have the fourth disc in the
    >> drive while you are operating FS2004.
    >>
    >> I don't like to use masters on a regular basis. Can you install all
    >> four discs, and avoid using the fourth disc.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Rannoch

    Gday there Rannoch

    > The funny thing is that the more I hear and read about FS2004, etc the
    > more interesting it becomes.
    >
    > So, a few questions on my own behalf.
    >
    > 1) I know nothing about piloting, don't play games, IT software
    > consultant. Is this a program which takes a lot of flying knowledge to
    > a) understand b) operate

    Shock,Horror!! It's not a game,it's a simulation lol
    Seriously though,it's as easy as pie to get running straight out of the
    box.As long as you know to pull back on the joystick to get into the air,the
    rest will follow (your first few landing will be entertaining to say the
    least lol). Video card drivers would be about the only thing that might need
    attention,but even this is rare if your system is fairly new.

    > 2) If I bought FS2004 what joystick would a) suit the program b) suit
    > my zero skill level, but have the functionality to grow as I gain more
    > knowledge

    A basic (ie cheap) joystick will suffice. The most important things are that
    it must have a throttle control and a twist grip (to control the rudder).
    About 99% of suitable joysticks these days have these features,and the ones
    that don't would be such cheap rubbish that you wouldn't want them anyway

    > 3) Is there anything else I need

    Not really.Once you become addicted (yes,addicted lol) your credit card
    company will love you forever .Being an IT consultant, I am going to assume
    you have a reasonably good computer

    > 4) This being Microsoft does the program need to be
    > registered/activated over the internet.

    No.You can install it on as many machines as you like and they will all
    connect together. You will need disk 4 to run it but there are ways around
    this ie no-cd cracks, mounting virtual drive images

    > Regards,
    >
    > Rannoch

    Bryan

    (Heres hoping for another convert lol)

    Thanks for all the advice. Very much appreciated.

    I know you will have heard this question a million times before, but
    I'd feel really upset (understatement) if I bought fs2004 and in a
    couple of weeks time fs2006 appears.

    Is FS2006 likely to appear this year?

    Regards,

    Rannoch

    "rannoch"
    > Is FS2006 likely to appear this year?

    Ha! (Insider joke)

    I know what you mean.. I purchased FS98 and didn't even get in installed
    before FS2000 came out a week later. It pays to pay attention to this NG.
    Anybody want to buy a virgin copy of FS98?

    Answer: No, it will not be out this year.

    Dallas
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Setup FS2002 on my friend's PC last night using a Logitech Extreme 3D
    Pro joystick.

    He's very pleased which is what matters.

    Thanks for all the help. Very much appreciated.

    Regards,

    Rannoch

Microsoft Windows XP Video Games