Just cleaned my Epson 740 Printer Head, now have some weir..

Dee

Basically had my Epson 740 for a number of years and used it on a
regular basis to keep the head as clogg free as possible.

But after many years of good service I could see it needed a clean as
ink wasn't always quite hitting the mark and text not as sharp as when
it was new.

Anyway I found some photos and insructions on the web that show you how
to remove the head and clean it and followed them, however I now have a
problem with only the black ink which I didn't have before.

Colours print fine but every new day I want to use the printer I need to
do a cleaning cycle to get the black to print. If I turn on the printer
and print something the black is very faint.

See Link (BTW text from other side after cleaning is shining through on
this pic .. sorry)

http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html

However if I do a single cleaning cycle it seem to improve things but
the first inch or so on the left appears fainter then the rest of the line.

So I'm not sure what is causing that?

See Link (BTW Red line is much sharper then it looks because I printed
on both sides of the paper so some of it has shon through the paper)

http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html

Any ideas what is causing the problems with the black ink?

And anyway to do a cleaning cycle on a 740 that only cleans black and
not wastes the colours? I've put in brnad new cartridges for both BTW -
OEM though.

Dee

Dee wrote:
> Basically had my Epson 740 for a number of years and used it on a
> regular basis to keep the head as clogg free as possible.
>
> But after many years of good service I could see it needed a clean as
> ink wasn't always quite hitting the mark and text not as sharp as when
> it was new.
>
> Anyway I found some photos and insructions on the web that show you how
> to remove the head and clean it and followed them, however I now have a
> problem with only the black ink which I didn't have before.
>
> Colours print fine but every new day I want to use the printer I need to
> do a cleaning cycle to get the black to print. If I turn on the printer
> and print something the black is very faint.
>
> See Link (BTW text from other side after cleaning is shining through on
> this pic .. sorry)
>
> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html
>
> However if I do a single cleaning cycle it seem to improve things but
> the first inch or so on the left appears fainter then the rest of the line.
>
> So I'm not sure what is causing that?
>
> See Link (BTW Red line is much sharper then it looks because I printed
> on both sides of the paper so some of it has shon through the paper)
>
> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html
>
> Any ideas what is causing the problems with the black ink?
>
> And anyway to do a cleaning cycle on a 740 that only cleans black and
> not wastes the colours? I've put in brnad new cartridges for both BTW -
> OEM though.

BTW I left my printer on for about an hour after the last print... went
to print out my email again on a fresh paper and the black is faint
again, as per the first picture on the URL I supplied

"Dee" <archer1NOSPAM@PLEASEjustemail.THANKYOUnet> wrote in message
> Basically had my Epson 740 for a number of years and used it on a regular
> basis to keep the head as clogg free as possible.
>
> But after many years of good service I could see it needed a clean as ink
> wasn't always quite hitting the mark and text not as sharp as when it was
> new.
>
> Anyway I found some photos and insructions on the web that show you how to
> remove the head and clean it and followed them, however I now have a
> problem with only the black ink which I didn't have before.
>
> Colours print fine but every new day I want to use the printer I need to
> do a cleaning cycle to get the black to print. If I turn on the printer
> and print something the black is very faint.
>
> See Link (BTW text from other side after cleaning is shining through on
> this pic .. sorry)
>
> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html
>
> However if I do a single cleaning cycle it seem to improve things but the
> first inch or so on the left appears fainter then the rest of the line.
>
> So I'm not sure what is causing that?
>
> See Link (BTW Red line is much sharper then it looks because I printed on
> both sides of the paper so some of it has shon through the paper)
>
> http://s119134524.onlinehome.us/Epson740/epson740.html
>
> Any ideas what is causing the problems with the black ink?

Try some different ink - probably a genuine Epson. I've seen similar results
magically correct themselves just by changing the ink used.

> And anyway to do a cleaning cycle on a 740 that only cleans black and not
> wastes the colours? I've put in brnad new cartridges for both BTW - OEM
> though.

Try the Epson SSC - http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml. That can do cleaning
cycles on just the black (or just the colour). It says is supports the 740,
but you'll have to try it to see if that particular feature works with your
printer.

Dee

Harvey wrote:

> Try the Epson SSC - http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml. That can do cleaning
> cycles on just the black (or just the colour). It says is supports the 740,
> but you'll have to try it to see if that particular feature works with your
> printer.

Great link Harvery, the black only cleanign doesn't seem to work for me
but the normal cleaning does and the print check pattern is better then
the epson one as it doesn't eject the paper after.

just anormal clean seems to have helped a bit will let it settle and try
again tomorrow to see, BTW I hope my pics are helpful to people!

There is really no way a printer that physically has only one purge pump
and cleaning station can do separate cleaning of certain heads. The
heads are ganged together, and whatever receives the vacuum, expresses ink.

The only thing the SSC utility could do is to literally activate the
piezo actuators for one head or anything, but, as anyone knows who has
had an ink clog, printing with ink rarely helps to unclog an already
clogged head.

Art

Harvey wrote:

> Try the Epson SSC - http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml. That can do cleaning
> cycles on just the black (or just the colour). It says is supports the 740,
> but you'll have to try it to see if that particular feature works with your
> printer.

The cleaning station is the area to the right where the heads rest when
the printer is turned off. It has a pad on it, which is usually stained
the ink colors.

If you send me the url for your website I can look at the pictures and
see if you show the area I'm speaking of, or if you email me with a
working email address, I can send you a pic of one.

Art