Weird behavior -- virus?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 6, 2005 7:21:24 PM

This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".

Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address in an
email
message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address window.
The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However, If I
click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the address
window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur when I am
connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to another
site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above, i.e., the
window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.

Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection process,
then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing happens.
There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but something
is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.

Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro and
attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend Micro,
proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan", nothing
happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth virus
that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from loading,
and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem

Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and others --
forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.

Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm afraid
the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

PII 300mhz
Win 98se
320 meg ram
EZtrust AV
ZA firewall
SpyBot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Host file
CW shredder ran often

More about : weird behavior virus

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:34:00 PM

From: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net>

| This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
|
| Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address in an
| email
| message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address window.
| The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However, If I
| click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the address
| window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur when I am
| connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to another
| site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above, i.e., the
| window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
| refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
|
| Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
| updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection process,
| then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing happens.
| There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but something
| is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
|
| Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
| through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro and
| attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend Micro,
| proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan", nothing
| happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth virus
| that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from loading,
| and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
|
| Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and others --
| forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
|
| Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm afraid
| the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
|
| Any help will be greatly appreciated
|
| PII 300mhz
| Win 98se
| 320 meg ram
| EZtrust AV
| ZA firewall
| SpyBot S&D
| Spyware Blaster
| Host file
| CW shredder ran often

If you think you have a virus, there are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type
of discussion.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

The following may help.
It is a multi vendor AV Command Line Scanner front end for; McAfee, Trend and Sophos.

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
July 6, 2005 10:34:01 PM

David,

Thanks for your suggestions. After carefully reading them I have concluded
that to attempt to utilize them is probably beyond my level of skill. As
such, I am likely to do more harm than good so I have decided to get some
professional computer technology help. I live in the Seattle area. Can you
recommend a good source?

> [...]
> |

> If you think you have a virus, there are anti virus News Groups
specifically for this type
> of discussion.
>
> microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
> microsoft.public.security.virus
> alt.comp.virus
> alt.comp.anti-virus
>
> The following may help.
> It is a multi vendor AV Command Line Scanner front end for; McAfee, Trend
and Sophos.

> Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
> Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files
>
> Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
> Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear
>
> Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
> http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe
>
> It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
Interpreter {
> http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart
scripts, one Link
> (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
WGET.EXE. It will
> simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line
Scanners to remove
> viruses and various other malware.
>
> C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
> This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in
Normal Mode. This
> way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
> The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.
>
> You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files
or you can
> download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
downloaded the files
> needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into
Safe Mode [F8 key
> during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want
to run in Safe
> Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal
Mode.

> When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
comprehensive PDF help
> file.
>
> To use this utility, perform the following...
> Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
> Choose; Unzip
> Choose; Close
>
> Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
>
> NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE
and/or FTP.EXE to go
> through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor
related files.

> * * * Please report back your results * * *
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

July 6, 2005 11:36:43 PM

Have you tried running an av scan in Safe Mode?

Have a read thru Jim Eshelman's pages for some suggestions and possible needed
utilities:
http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm

You could also run a av scan in DOS with FProt for DOS (free):
http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

Don't forget to download the latest definitions which are on the same page.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

July 7, 2005 3:12:24 AM

From: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net>

| David,
|
| Thanks for your suggestions. After carefully reading them I have concluded
| that to attempt to utilize them is probably beyond my level of skill. As
| such, I am likely to do more harm than good so I have decided to get some
| professional computer technology help. I live in the Seattle area. Can you
| recommend a good source?

Bobster:

I have deliberatelt written the Multi Vendor AV scanner front end for those who are novices.
It is written to simplify all the individual tasks that would really be complicated. In
summation it may look complicated but, it is really simple. If you can run a Browser or use
a News Client then you can certainly perform the task.

I am here and will be *glad* to assist you as I have done with others.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 8:20:35 PM

| EZtrust AV
| ZA firewall
| SpyBot S&D
| Spyware Blaster
| Host file

There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable them all
from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get your
updates from Windows Update.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
news:o uvwUmngFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
|
| Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address
in an
| email
| message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address
window.
| The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However,
If I
| click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the
address
| window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur
when I am
| connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to
another
| site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above,
i.e., the
| window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
| refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
|
| Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
| updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection
process,
| then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing
happens.
| There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but
something
| is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
|
| Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
| through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
and
| attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
Micro,
| proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
nothing
| happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
virus
| that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
| and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
|
| Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
others --
| forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
|
| Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
afraid
| the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
|
| Any help will be greatly appreciated
|
| PII 300mhz
| Win 98se
| 320 meg ram
| EZtrust AV
| ZA firewall
| SpyBot S&D
| Spyware Blaster
| Host file
| CW shredder ran often

July 7, 2005 8:20:36 PM

PCR

Per your suggestion, I just ran a check with EZtrust AV, ZA firewall,
Spyware Blaster, and my Host file disabled. Since SpyBot S&D doesn't run
unless manually invoked, I left it alone. The problem did not go away. I
still have the following problems:

1) When trying to use Windows Update, everything proceeds normally until I
get to the part where the download is supposed to start but nothing happens.
I've waited as long as an hour just to be sure it isn't just a late starter.
When I click on "cancel" (the only option), I get a window that says,
"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close
........."

2) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
hyperlink and click on it, a new window appears but with a blank address.
If I click on "stop", then "refresh", the window opens in the subject
hyperlink address. This same behavior is exhibited if I click on a
hyperlink in an OE email message.

3) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
hyperlink and click on it, a new window SOMETIMES appears with NO address
window. In that case, I'm essentially locked out of the URL I'm attempting
to access. This is the case when I try to get Trend Micro or Panda to do a
virus scan of my computer.

I cannot determine if my problem is a virus or some obscure problem with
IE6. I took Gary Terhune's suggestion(s) including IE repair and finally
forcing a reinstall of IE6 but had no success in clearing the problem. Also
tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro to do a
virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done several
runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, both in
full Windows as well as safe mode.

My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all work fine.
But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at worst,
could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.

Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions for
further action will be appreciated.
news:o EZ$UFzgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
> and
> | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
> Micro,
> | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
> nothing
> | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
> virus
> | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
> | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
> |
> | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
> others --
> | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
> |
> | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
> afraid
> | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:01:24 AM

Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
Just disabling it did not work.
--
mae

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:eHxLXN0gFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
| further action will be appreciated.
| news:o EZ$UFzgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | EZtrust AV
| > | ZA firewall
| > | SpyBot S&D
| > | Spyware Blaster
| > | Host file
| >
| > There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable them all
| > from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get your
| > updates from Windows Update.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| > news:o uvwUmngFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
| > |
| > | Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address
| > in an
| > | email
| > | message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address
| > window.
| > | The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However,
| > If I
| > | click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the
| > address
| > | window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur
| > when I am
| > | connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to
| > another
| > | site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above,
| > i.e., the
| > | window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
| > | refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
| > |
| > | Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
| > | updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection
| > process,
| > | then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing
| > happens.
| > | There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but
| > something
| > | is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
| > |
| > | Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
| > | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
| > and
| > | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
| > Micro,
| > | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
| > nothing
| > | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
| > virus
| > | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
| > | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
| > |
| > | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
| > others --
| > | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
| > |
| > | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
| > afraid
| > | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
| > |
| > | Any help will be greatly appreciated
| > |
| > | PII 300mhz
| > | Win 98se
| > | 320 meg ram
| > | EZtrust AV
| > | ZA firewall
| > | SpyBot S&D
| > | Spyware Blaster
| > | Host file
| > | CW shredder ran often
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

July 8, 2005 3:01:25 AM

mae --
I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA (free) and
still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't like to
surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in the past.

When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message, "Autoit
Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it before so
I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.

Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o GtxiF3gFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]

| > and
| > | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
| > Micro,
| > | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
| > nothing
| > | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
| > virus
| > | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
| > | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
| > |
| > | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
| > others --
| > | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
| > |
| > | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
| > afraid
| > | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 4:25:03 PM

Well, I don't know that Zone Alarm is your problem. But there was a
thread here once...
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
....in which uninstalling it was the cure to an internet access problem.

However, a normal uninstall was insufficient. NBT posted...
http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
.... to do it manually, which did work for Krister Hallergard. Try that
one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar. But I
don't know this cures you.

--
news:o uT$S23gFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| mae --
| I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA
(free) and
| still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't like
| surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in the
past.

| When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message,
"Autoit
| Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it
before so
| I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.
|
| Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?
|
| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| news:o GtxiF3gFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
| Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
| Just disabling it did not work.
| --
| mae
|
| "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| | PCR
| |
| | Per your suggestion, I just ran a check with EZtrust AV, ZA
firewall,
| | Spyware Blaster, and my Host file disabled. Since SpyBot S&D
doesn't run
| | unless manually invoked, I left it alone. The problem did not go
away. I
| | still have the following problems:
| |
| | 1) When trying to use Windows Update, everything proceeds normally
until
| | get to the part where the download is supposed to start but nothing
| happens.
| | I've waited as long as an hour just to be sure it isn't just a late
| starter.
| | When I click on "cancel" (the only option), I get a window that
says,
| | "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
close
| | ........"
| |
| | 2) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
| | hyperlink and click on it, a new window appears but with a blank
address.
| | If I click on "stop", then "refresh", the window opens in the
subject
| | hyperlink address. This same behavior is exhibited if I click on a
| | hyperlink in an OE email message.
| |
| | 3) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
| | hyperlink and click on it, a new window SOMETIMES appears with NO
address
| | window. In that case, I'm essentially locked out of the URL I'm
| attempting
| | to access. This is the case when I try to get Trend Micro or Panda
to do
| | virus scan of my computer.
| |
| | I cannot determine if my problem is a virus or some obscure problem
with
| | IE6. I took Gary Terhune's suggestion(s) including IE repair and
finally
| | forcing a reinstall of IE6 but had no success in clearing the
problem.
| Also
| | tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro
to do
| | virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done
several
| | runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
both in
| | full Windows as well as safe mode.
| |
| | My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all
work
| fine.
| | But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at
| worst,
| | could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.
| |
| | Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions
for
| | further action will be appreciated.
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | news:o EZ$UFzgFHA.1284@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| | >
| | > There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable
them all
| | > from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get
your
| | > updates from Windows Update.
| | >

| | > --
| | > Thanks or Good Luck,
| | > There may be humor in this post, and,
| | > Naturally, you will not sue,
| | > should things get worse after this,
| | > PCR
| | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| | > news:o uvwUmngFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
IE6".
| | > |
address
| | > in an
| | > window.
However,
| | > If I
| | > address
| | > when I am
| | > another
| | > i.e., the
| | > |
| | > process,
| | > happens.
| | > something
site.
| | > |
Micro
| | > and
Trend
| | > Micro,
| | > nothing
| | > virus
| | > |
| | > others --
| | > |
I'm
| | > afraid
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

July 8, 2005 4:25:04 PM

PCR -- I ran into the same problem described in the google reference.
After 10 minutes, ZA would lock me out of the internet. I used the ZA
supplied procedure to completely uninstall ZA and the lockout problem
disappeared. I then did a new install of ZA (free) and the lockout problem
was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still present.
I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
technique previously described except when the window has no header with
"stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't open
that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box and
Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live with the
problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from Windows
Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:

KB883939
KB837009
KB88813
823559
814078

All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process of
trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten by the
law of unintended consequences, I guess.

Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated

> Well, I don't know that Zone Alarm is your problem. But there was a
> thread here once...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_disc
ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+insubje
ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
> ...in which uninstalling it was the cure to an internet access problem.
>
> However, a normal uninstall was insufficient. NBT posted...

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
NT.html
> [...]
> problem.
> | Also
> | | tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro
> to do
> | | virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done
> several
> | | runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
> both in
> | | full Windows as well as safe mode.
> | |
> | | My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all
> work
> | fine.
> | | But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at
> | worst,
> | | could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.
> | |
> | | Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:30:38 PM

KB883939 is the latest IE cumulative update. Can it cure you? Take it
from the catalog at another computer...
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...

KB837009 is a critical for OE. Get it there too. Same for 888113 &
823559. But I do not find 814078 mentioned there by number, nor do I
have it installed.

OTOH, none of these may be the cure, & it may be something amiss with
"downloading". An association problem, maybe? Did you ever take one of
those download enhancers? You didn't set your TIF folder to a size of
zero?

--
> [...]
that
| > one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar.
But I
| > don't know this cures you.
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| > news:o uT$S23gFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | mae --
| > | I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA
| > (free) and
| > | still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't
like
| > | surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in
| > |
| > | When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message,
| > "Autoit
| > | Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it
| > before so
| > | I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.
| > |
| > | Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?
| > |
| > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| > | news:o GtxiF3gFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > | Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
| > | Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
| > | Just disabling it did not work.
| > | --
| > | mae
| > |
| > | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| > | |
| > firewall,
| > doesn't run
| > away. I
| > | |
| > until
| > | happens.
| > | starter.
| > says,
| > close
| > | |
| > address.
| > subject
| > | |
NO
| > address
| > | attempting
Panda
| > to do
| > | |
| > with
| > finally
| > problem.
| > | Also
Micro
| > to do
| > several
| > both in
| > | |
| > work
| > | fine.
| > | worst,
| > | |
| > for

| > them all
| > your

| > IE6".
| > | | > |
| > address
| > address
| > However,
| > occur
| > above,
| > then
| > | | > |
| > download
| > but
Update
| > site.
| > | | > |
| > slipped
Trend
| > Micro
| > Trend
| > scan",
| > stealth
| > from
Terhune
| > and
| > | | > |
| > I'm
troubles.
| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > | | > |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

July 8, 2005 11:30:39 PM

PCR

I think you may have hit on the problem. When going to C:\Windows\Temporary
internet files", then "properties", it shows the file as:

Size: 0 bytes(0bytes), 0 bytes used

Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders

Thinking it might be as you suggested, an association problem, I right
clicked while holding the shift key down but only get an "open" rather than
an "open with" option. Can I delete the Temporary internet folder and will
it re-create on rebooting? Is there a way of finding out what the
association is and changing it to the proper association if it's in error?

Here's another clue. When in IE, if I click on tools > internet options >
general > temporary internet files > click on settings, then "view files"
I get C:\Windows\local settings\temporary internet files. It is fully
populated with my recent internet selections. Is this TIF "local settings"
file the same as the C:\Windows TIF? What is my next move, PCR?

> [...]
> | > Well, I don't know that Zone Alarm is your problem. But there was a
> | > thread here once...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...

> ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
> disc
> |
> ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
> ubje
> | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
> | > ...in which uninstalling it was the cure to an internet access
> problem.
> | >
> | > However, a normal uninstall was insufficient. NBT posted...

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
> | NT.html
> | > ... to do it manually, which did work for Krister Hallergard. Try
> that
> | > one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar.

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:40:36 AM

No, looks like your TIFs are fine in size, & there is no "open with" for folders. Something has migrated you to "...local settings", is all. You can delete the other empty folder.

Well, I guess, empty your TIFs, anyhow... "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as it is sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess. Also...

(a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button". I am bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"-- automatically. How much disk space is your slider set to?

(b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you set to Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?

(c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in Managed Web sites?

Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?

--
"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:%23tfXRKChFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
| > problem
| > | was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
| > | hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still
| > present.
| > | I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
| > | technique previously described except when the window has no header
| > with
| > | "stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't
| > open
| > | that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box
| > and
| > | Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live
| > with the
| > | problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from
| > Windows
| > | Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:
| > |
| > | All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process
| > of
| > | trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten
| > by the
| > | law of unintended consequences, I guess.
| > |
| > | Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

| > |

| http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
| > |
| > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
| > disc
| > |
| > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
| > ubje
| > | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
| > problem.

| > |

| http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
| > | NT.html
| > that
| > But I

| > like
| > the
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | |
| > go
| > | > | |
| > normally
| > nothing
| > late
| > | > | |
| > subsequent
| > on a
| > | > | |
| > subsequent
| > NO
| > Panda
| > | > | |
| > problem
| > and
| > Micro
| > | > | |
| > and at
| > | > | |
| > suggestions

| > disable
| > get

| > from
| > | > | | > |
| > (URL)
| > the
| > me
| > | > | | > |
| > selection
| > nothing
| > installed
| > Update
| > | > | | > |
| > that
| > Trend
| > updates
| > Terhune
| > | > | | > |
| > but
| > troubles.
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |

| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

July 9, 2005 4:40:37 AM

PCR-- Emptied TIF (including offline) and history. Have done so many times
since the subject problem started.

Bolted "check for new pages automatically" Have disk space set to 195 mb.
Tried higher values with no effect.

On security tab, I'm set to medium for the internet zone

On the privacy tab, edit, the "managed web sites" contains a large list --
several hundred or so, most set on "always block". There are a few "always
allow" entries -- stuff that I want to get through. There is a "remove
all" button, but so far, I have been reluctant to use it as there are some
pretty flaky sounding entries there. Do you suggest that I empty it?

Yes, I did try to download those updates from the catalog. Same action and
result as from Windows update, i.e. when I got to the final download box, I
got an hourglass and no action. When I finally cancelled, I got the IE
error message and canceling it resulted in an IE restart.

As an aside, I just got the August PC World mag this afternoon and on
page149 there is an article describing how some viruses protect themselves
by blocking security web sites, anti virus programs and other tools that
could be used against them. I found nothing in the article that would solve
my problem as my EZtrust AV is not blocked nor is my AdAware and I have long
since uninstalled my host file.

I appreciate all the good advice/suggestions you (and others) have
provided, PCR. I just wish the problem could be identified and solved as
it's really eating on me. As my wife says, I shouldn't get so emotionally
involved in this damn critter!

As before, any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

> [...]

| > problem
| > | was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
| > | hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still
| > present.
| > | I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
| > | technique previously described except when the window has no header
| > with
| > | "stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't
| > open
| > | that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box
| > and
| > | Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live
| > with the
| > | problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from
| > Windows
| > | Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:
| > |
| > | All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process
| > of
| > | trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten
| > by the
| > | law of unintended consequences, I guess.
| > |
| > | Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated
| > |
| > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

| > |

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
| > |
| > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
| > disc
| > |
| > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
| > ubje
| > | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
| > problem.

| > |

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
| > | NT.html
| > that
| > But I

| > like
| > the
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | |
| > go
| > | > | |
| > normally
| > nothing
| > late
| > | > | |
| > subsequent
| > on a
| > | > | |
| > subsequent
| > NO
| > Panda
| > | > | |
| > problem
| > and
| > Micro
| > | > | |
| > and at
| > | > | |
| > suggestions

| > disable
| > get

| > from
| > | > | | > |
| > (URL)
| > the
| > me
| > | > | | > |
| > selection
| > nothing
| > installed
| > Update
| > | > | | > |
| > that
| > Trend
| > updates
| > Terhune
| > | > | | > |
| > but
| > troubles.
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |
| > | > | | > |

| > | > | |
| > | > | |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 6:20:49 PM

Can you find another computer from which to download those updates from
the Catalog? Your settings look good. As far as the Privacy tab, it
keeps a database at the following Registry key...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\P3P\History

....Not positive, but, probably, if you Export that key, you can recover
from a "remove all", by Importing it again. The sites in there
supposedly only apply to Cookie handling & will auto-rebuild when a
Cookie is offered by a site. At that time, you select whether to always
block/allow. (I did clear it once/twice & have only 8 sites there now.)

What about... "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab, highlight
Restricted Sites, click the Sites button"... anything there? That would
really block them.

--
> [...]
|
| Well, I guess, empty your TIFs, anyhow... "Control Panel, Internet
Options,
| Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as it
is
| sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess. Also...
|
| (a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button".
I am
| bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"-- automatically.
How
| much disk space is your slider set to?
|
| (b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you set to
| Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?
|
| (c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in
Managed
| Web sites?
|
| Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?

| |
| | I think you may have hit on the problem. When going to
| C:\Windows\Temporary
| | internet files", then "properties", it shows the file as:
| |
| | Size: 0 bytes(0bytes), 0 bytes used
| |
| | Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders
| |
| | Thinking it might be as you suggested, an association problem, I
right
| | clicked while holding the shift key down but only get an "open"
rather
| than
| | an "open with" option. Can I delete the Temporary internet folder
and
| will
| | it re-create on rebooting? Is there a way of finding out what the
| | association is and changing it to the proper association if it's in
error?
| |
| | Here's another clue. When in IE, if I click on tools > internet
options

| | general > temporary internet files > click on settings, then "view
files"
| | I get C:\Windows\local settings\temporary internet files. It is
fully
| | populated with my recent internet selections. Is this TIF "local
| settings"
| | file the same as the C:\Windows TIF? What is my next move, PCR?
| |
| |
| | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| | > KB883939 is the latest IE cumulative update. Can it cure you? Take
it
| | > from the catalog at another computer...
| | > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
| | >
| | > KB837009 is a critical for OE. Get it there too. Same for 888113 &
| | > 823559. But I do not find 814078 mentioned there by number, nor do
| | > have it installed.
| | >
| | > OTOH, none of these may be the cure, & it may be something amiss
with
| | > "downloading". An association problem, maybe? Did you ever take
one of
| | > those download enhancers? You didn't set your TIF folder to a size
of
| | > zero?
| | >

| | > --
| | > Thanks or Good Luck,
| | > There may be humor in this post, and,
| | > Naturally, you will not sue,
| | > should things get worse after this,
| | > PCR
| | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| | > problem
| | > present.
| | > with
| | > open
| | > and
| | > with the
| | > Windows
| | > |
| | > |
| | > of
Bitten
| | > by the
| | > |

| | > |

| |

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
| | > |

ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
| | > disc
| | > |

ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
| | > ubje
| | > |
ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
| | > problem.

| | > |

| |

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
Try
| | > that
| | > But I

| | > like
| | > the
| | > | > |
however.
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| | > | > |
| | > | > | |
ZA
S&D
| | > go
| | > | > | |
| | > normally
| | > nothing
| | > late
| | > | > | |
| | > subsequent
| | > on a
| | > | > | |
| | > subsequent
| | > NO
URL I'm
| | > Panda
| | > | > | |
| | > problem
| | > and
Trend
| | > Micro
Blaster,
| | > | > | |
| | > and at
| | > | > | |
| | > suggestions

| | > disable
| | > get

| | > from
| | > | > | | > |
| | > (URL)
| | > the
| | > me
| | > | > | | > |
| | > selection
| | > nothing
| | > installed
Windows
| | > Update
| | > | > | | > |
| | > that
| | > Trend
| | > updates
| | > Terhune
| | > | > | | > |
| | > but
| | > troubles.
| | > | > | | > |
| | > | > | | > |
| | > | > | | > |
| | > | > | | > |
| | > | > | | > |
| | > | > | | > |

| | > | > | |
| | > | > | |
| | > | > |
| | > | > |

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

July 9, 2005 6:20:50 PM

PCR -- I exported the subject registry key, deleted the "web sites list",
and my problem was still there. I recovered the list using the import
function.

On the "security" tab, I went to "restricted sites", clicked on the "sites"
button and found a large number of entries all of which looked like
"baddies". Is there a registry key where these are stored so that I can use
the export>empty>import technique I used for the privacy sites? Worth a try
I guess.

I do not have ready access to another PC to download the Windows critical
updates. I will be visiting friends next week who may be able to let me use
their machine to acquire them. Should I get them on a floppy or CD? I'm
very familiar with using Windows update (when it was working) which
automatically downloads them into the proper files but would not be sure
where to target them from a floppy or CD.

> [...]
> can't
> download box
> live
> from
> | | > |
> | | > |
> process
> Bitten
> | | > |
> | | > |
> was a
> | | > | >
> | | > |

> | |

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
> | | > |

> ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
> | | > |

> ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
> | | > |
> ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 5:34:31 AM

Hmm, I thought the Cookies block was a longshot but too bad. I have no
restricted sites. (Once I swear I saw two in there but don't know where
they've gone to.) You must search the your Registry for one of them. If
they are kept there, they will all be in the same key likely.

Some of them are large. KB883939 is 3 MB. Better go to CD.

--
> [...]
| > | Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as
it
| > is
| > | sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess.
Also...
| > |
| > | (a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings
button".
| > I am
| > | bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"--
automatically.
| > How
| > | much disk space is your slider set to?
| > |
| > | (b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you
set to
| > | Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?
| > |
| > | (c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in
| > |
| > | Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,
| > | There may be humor in this post, and,
| > | Naturally, you will not sue,
| > | should things get worse after this,
| > | PCR
| > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
| > | |
| > | C:\Windows\Temporary
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > right
| > rather
| > | than
| > and
| > | will
| > error?
| > | |
| > options

| > files"
| > fully
| > | settings"
| > | |
| > | |
Take
| > it

| > with
| > one of
| > of

| > reference.
| > the ZA
| > problem
| > lockout
| > open a
| > still
| > "refresh"
| > header
| > can't
| > download box
| > live
| > from
| > | | > |
| > | | > |
| > process
| > Bitten
| > | | > |
| > was a

| > | | > |

| > | |
| > |

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windo...
| > | | > |

ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
| > | | > |

ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
| > | | > |

ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199

| > | | > |

| > | |
| > |

http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646...
Hallergard.
| > Try
| > similar.

| > and ZA
because I
| > don't
| > well in
| > | | > | > |
| > message,
| > seen it
| > however.
| > | | > | > |
| > | | > | > |
| > uninstalling ZA.
| > | | > | > |
| > | | > | > | |
AV,
| > ZA
SpyBot
| > S&D
| > not
| > | | > | > | |
| > but
| > just a
| > that
| > needs
| > | | > | > | |
| > blank
| > the
| > click
| > | | > | > | |
| > with
| > URL I'm
Micro
| > or
| > | | > | > | |
| > obscure
| > repair
| > the
| > Trend
| > have done
Spyware
| > Blaster,
| > | | > | > | |
| > functions all
| > best
| > | | > | > | |
ANY

Well,
| > try to

| > opened
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > hyperlink
| > blank
| > away.
| > appears in
| > to also
| > send
| > behavior as
| > stop,
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > inability to
| > Windows
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > virus
| > could open
| > "begin
| > kind of
Windows
problem
| > | | > | > | | > |
Gary
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > fine
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > | | > | > | | > |
| > | | > | > | | > |

| > | | > | > | |
| > | | > | > | |
| > | | > | > |
| > | | > | > |

| > | | > |
| > | | > |

| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 7:57:16 PM

Never mind that! I still have 102 Master Posts to try out on you! Oh,
well, OK, then, OK, bye.

--
| PCR -- Thanks for your many suggestions. After trying everything you
and
| others suggested, the problem was finally identified as a missing or
corrupt
| oleaut32.dll. I was able to download a fresh one from my Windows 98
disk.
| Kudus to Frank Saunders on the MS.public.windows. IE6 browser board
for his
| suggestion..

....snip
!