Weird behavior -- virus?

This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".

Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address in an
email
message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address window.
The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However, If I
click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the address
window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur when I am
connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to another
site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above, i.e., the
window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.

Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection process,
then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing happens.
There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but something
is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.

Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro and
attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend Micro,
proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan", nothing
happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth virus
that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from loading,
and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem

Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and others --
forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.

Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm afraid
the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

PII 300mhz
Win 98se
320 meg ram
EZtrust AV
ZA firewall
SpyBot S&D
Spyware Blaster
Host file
CW shredder ran often
18 answers Last reply
More about weird behavior virus

    From: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net>

    | This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
    |
    | Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address in an
    | email
    | message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address window.
    | The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However, If I
    | click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the address
    | window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur when I am
    | connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to another
    | site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above, i.e., the
    | window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
    | refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
    |
    | Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
    | updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection process,
    | then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing happens.
    | There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but something
    | is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
    |
    | Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
    | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro and
    | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend Micro,
    | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan", nothing
    | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth virus
    | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from loading,
    | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
    |
    | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and others --
    | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
    |
    | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm afraid
    | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
    |
    | Any help will be greatly appreciated
    |
    | PII 300mhz
    | Win 98se
    | 320 meg ram
    | EZtrust AV
    | ZA firewall
    | SpyBot S&D
    | Spyware Blaster
    | Host file
    | CW shredder ran often

    If you think you have a virus, there are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type
    of discussion.

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    The following may help.
    It is a multi vendor AV Command Line Scanner front end for; McAfee, Trend and Sophos.

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

    Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
    Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

    Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

    http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
    (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
    simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to remove
    viruses and various other malware.

    way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
    The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

    file.

    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

    NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE and/or FTP.EXE to go
    through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor related files.

    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David,

    Thanks for your suggestions. After carefully reading them I have concluded
    that to attempt to utilize them is probably beyond my level of skill. As
    such, I am likely to do more harm than good so I have decided to get some
    professional computer technology help. I live in the Seattle area. Can you
    recommend a good source?

> [...]
    > |

    > If you think you have a virus, there are anti virus News Groups
    specifically for this type
    > of discussion.
    >
    > microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    > microsoft.public.security.virus
    > alt.comp.virus
    > alt.comp.anti-virus
    >
    > The following may help.
    > It is a multi vendor AV Command Line Scanner front end for; McAfee, Trend
    and Sophos.

    > Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    > Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files
    >
    > Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
    > Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear
    >
    > Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Multi_AV.exe
    >
    > It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
    Interpreter {
    > http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart
    scripts, one Link
    > (.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
    WGET.EXE. It will
    > simplify the process of using up to 3 different Anti Virus Command Line
    Scanners to remove
    > viruses and various other malware.
    >
    > C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}
    > This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in
    Normal Mode. This
    > way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
    > The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.
    >
    > You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed files
    or you can
    > download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
    downloaded the files
    > needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC into
    Safe Mode [F8 key
    > during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you want
    to run in Safe
    > Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and Normal
    Mode.

    > When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
    comprehensive PDF help
    > file.
    >
    > To use this utility, perform the following...
    > Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS }
    > Choose; Unzip
    > Choose; Close
    >
    > Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
    > { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
    >
    > NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE
    and/or FTP.EXE to go
    > through your FireWall to allow them to download the needed AV vendor
    related files.

    > * * * Please report back your results * * *
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Have you tried running an av scan in Safe Mode?

    Have a read thru Jim Eshelman's pages for some suggestions and possible needed
    utilities:
    http://www.aumha.org/secure.htm

    You could also run a av scan in DOS with FProt for DOS (free):
    http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/dos/

    Don't forget to download the latest definitions which are on the same page.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    From: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net>

    | David,
    |
    | Thanks for your suggestions. After carefully reading them I have concluded
    | that to attempt to utilize them is probably beyond my level of skill. As
    | such, I am likely to do more harm than good so I have decided to get some
    | professional computer technology help. I live in the Seattle area. Can you
    | recommend a good source?

    Bobster:

    I have deliberatelt written the Multi Vendor AV scanner front end for those who are novices.
    It is written to simplify all the individual tasks that would really be complicated. In
    summation it may look complicated but, it is really simple. If you can run a Browser or use
    a News Client then you can certainly perform the task.

    I am here and will be *glad* to assist you as I have done with others.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    | EZtrust AV
    | ZA firewall
    | SpyBot S&D
    | Spyware Blaster
    | Host file

    There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable them all
    from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get your
    updates from Windows Update.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
    |
    | Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address
    in an
    | email
    | message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address
    window.
    | The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However,
    If I
    | click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the
    address
    | window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur
    when I am
    | connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to
    another
    | site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above,
    i.e., the
    | window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
    | refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
    |
    | Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
    | updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection
    process,
    | then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing
    happens.
    | There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but
    something
    | is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
    |
    | Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
    | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
    and
    | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
    Micro,
    | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
    nothing
    | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
    virus
    | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
    | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
    |
    | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
    others --
    | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
    |
    | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
    afraid
    | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
    |
    | Any help will be greatly appreciated
    |
    | PII 300mhz
    | Win 98se
    | 320 meg ram
    | EZtrust AV
    | ZA firewall
    | SpyBot S&D
    | Spyware Blaster
    | Host file
    | CW shredder ran often

    PCR

    Per your suggestion, I just ran a check with EZtrust AV, ZA firewall,
    Spyware Blaster, and my Host file disabled. Since SpyBot S&D doesn't run
    unless manually invoked, I left it alone. The problem did not go away. I
    still have the following problems:

    1) When trying to use Windows Update, everything proceeds normally until I
    get to the part where the download is supposed to start but nothing happens.
    I've waited as long as an hour just to be sure it isn't just a late starter.
    When I click on "cancel" (the only option), I get a window that says,
    "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close
    ........."

    2) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    hyperlink and click on it, a new window appears but with a blank address.
    If I click on "stop", then "refresh", the window opens in the subject
    hyperlink address. This same behavior is exhibited if I click on a
    hyperlink in an OE email message.

    3) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    hyperlink and click on it, a new window SOMETIMES appears with NO address
    window. In that case, I'm essentially locked out of the URL I'm attempting
    to access. This is the case when I try to get Trend Micro or Panda to do a
    virus scan of my computer.

    I cannot determine if my problem is a virus or some obscure problem with
    IE6. I took Gary Terhune's suggestion(s) including IE repair and finally
    forcing a reinstall of IE6 but had no success in clearing the problem. Also
    tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro to do a
    virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done several
    runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, both in
    full Windows as well as safe mode.

    My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all work fine.
    But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at worst,
    could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.

    Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions for
    further action will be appreciated.
> [...]
    > | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
    > and
    > | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
    > Micro,
    > | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
    > nothing
    > | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
    > virus
    > | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
    > | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
    > |
    > | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
    > others --
    > | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
    > |
    > | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
    > afraid
    > | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.

    Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
    Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
    Just disabling it did not work.
    --
    mae

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:eHxLXN0gFHA.1432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | PCR
    |
    | Per your suggestion, I just ran a check with EZtrust AV, ZA firewall,
    | Spyware Blaster, and my Host file disabled. Since SpyBot S&D doesn't run
    | unless manually invoked, I left it alone. The problem did not go away. I
    | still have the following problems:
    |
    | 1) When trying to use Windows Update, everything proceeds normally until I
    | get to the part where the download is supposed to start but nothing happens.
    | I've waited as long as an hour just to be sure it isn't just a late starter.
    | When I click on "cancel" (the only option), I get a window that says,
    | "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close
    | ........"
    |
    | 2) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    | hyperlink and click on it, a new window appears but with a blank address.
    | If I click on "stop", then "refresh", the window opens in the subject
    | hyperlink address. This same behavior is exhibited if I click on a
    | hyperlink in an OE email message.
    |
    | 3) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    | hyperlink and click on it, a new window SOMETIMES appears with NO address
    | window. In that case, I'm essentially locked out of the URL I'm attempting
    | to access. This is the case when I try to get Trend Micro or Panda to do a
    | virus scan of my computer.
    |
    | I cannot determine if my problem is a virus or some obscure problem with
    | IE6. I took Gary Terhune's suggestion(s) including IE repair and finally
    | forcing a reinstall of IE6 but had no success in clearing the problem. Also
    | tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro to do a
    | virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done several
    | runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster, both in
    | full Windows as well as safe mode.
    |
    | My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all work fine.
    | But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at worst,
    | could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.
    |
    | Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions for
    | further action will be appreciated.
    | > | EZtrust AV
    | > | ZA firewall
    | > | SpyBot S&D
    | > | Spyware Blaster
    | > | Host file
    | >
    | > There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable them all
    | > from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get your
    | > updates from Windows Update.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | > | This is an update of a previous item, "URL cannot be opened from IE6".
    | > |
    | > | Recently, when in OE6, and I click on a valid hyperlink (URL) address
    | > in an
    | > | email
    | > | message, the IE6 window opens immediately but with a blank address
    | > window.
    | > | The web site never appears. It just sits and grinds away. However,
    | > If I
    | > | click on "stop", then "refresh", the URL address appears in the
    | > address
    | > | window and it opens. I have now found this behavior to also occur
    | > when I am
    | > | connected to a web site and it displays a hyperlink to send me to
    | > another
    | > | site. When I click on this URL, I get the same behavior as above,
    | > i.e., the
    | > | window appears with a blank address and after clicking stop, then
    | > | refresh,the address appears and the URL opens.
    | > |
    | > | Another problem that seems to be related is the inability to download
    | > | updates from Windows Update. After going through the selection
    | > process,
    | > | then clicking "download", the download box appears but nothing
    | > happens.
    | > | There are several critical downloads that need to be installed but
    | > something
    | > | is preventing the download of anything from the Windows Update site.
    | > |
    | > | Thinking that this might be the manifestation of a virus that slipped
    | > | through my EZtrust Antivirus and ZA firewall, I went to Trend Micro
    | > and
    | > | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
    | > Micro,
    | > | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
    | > nothing
    | > | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
    | > virus
    | > | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
    | > | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
    | > |
    | > | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
    | > others --
    | > | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
    | > |
    | > | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
    | > afraid
    | > | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
    | > |
    | > | Any help will be greatly appreciated
    | > |
    | > | PII 300mhz
    | > | Win 98se
    | > | 320 meg ram
    | > | EZtrust AV
    | > | ZA firewall
    | > | SpyBot S&D
    | > | Spyware Blaster
    | > | Host file
    | > | CW shredder ran often
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    mae --
    I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA (free) and
    still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't like to
    surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in the past.

    When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message, "Autoit
    Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it before so
    I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.

    Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    | > and
    | > | attempted to run a virus scan. Same, problem! I could open Trend
    | > Micro,
    | > | proceed to the scan page, but when I clicked on the "begin scan",
    | > nothing
    | > | happened. It sounds suspiciously like I have some kind of stealth
    | > virus
    | > | that prevents my protections from working, my Windows updates from
    | > | and the Trend Micro scan from revealing the problem
    | > |
    | > | Previously I had followed all the suggestions of Gary Terhune and
    | > others --
    | > | forcing an IE6 reload, etc but to no avail.
    | > |
    | > | Except for the above problems, my computer is running fine but I'm
    | > afraid
    | > | the problems I've described are symptoms of future big troubles.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

    Well, I don't know that Zone Alarm is your problem. But there was a
    thread here once...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thread/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+insubject:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
    ....in which uninstalling it was the cure to an internet access problem.

    However, a normal uninstall was insufficient. NBT posted...
    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html
    .... to do it manually, which did work for Krister Hallergard. Try that
    one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar. But I
    don't know this cures you.

    --
    | mae --
    | I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA
    (free) and
    | still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't like
    | surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in the
    past.

    | When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message,
    "Autoit
    | Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it
    before so
    | I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.
    |
    | Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?
    |
    | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
    | Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
    | Just disabling it did not work.
    | --
    | mae
    |
    | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | | PCR
    | |
    | | Per your suggestion, I just ran a check with EZtrust AV, ZA
    firewall,
    | | Spyware Blaster, and my Host file disabled. Since SpyBot S&D
    doesn't run
    | | unless manually invoked, I left it alone. The problem did not go
    away. I
    | | still have the following problems:
    | |
    | | 1) When trying to use Windows Update, everything proceeds normally
    until
    | | get to the part where the download is supposed to start but nothing
    | happens.
    | | I've waited as long as an hour just to be sure it isn't just a late
    | starter.
    | | When I click on "cancel" (the only option), I get a window that
    says,
    | | "Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
    close
    | | ........"
    | |
    | | 2) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    | | hyperlink and click on it, a new window appears but with a blank
    address.
    | | If I click on "stop", then "refresh", the window opens in the
    subject
    | | hyperlink address. This same behavior is exhibited if I click on a
    | | hyperlink in an OE email message.
    | |
    | | 3) After opening any window in IE6, if I'm directed to a subsequent
    | | hyperlink and click on it, a new window SOMETIMES appears with NO
    address
    | | window. In that case, I'm essentially locked out of the URL I'm
    | attempting
    | | to access. This is the case when I try to get Trend Micro or Panda
    to do
    | | virus scan of my computer.
    | |
    | | I cannot determine if my problem is a virus or some obscure problem
    with
    | | IE6. I took Gary Terhune's suggestion(s) including IE repair and
    finally
    | | forcing a reinstall of IE6 but had no success in clearing the
    problem.
    | Also
    | | tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro
    to do
    | | virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done
    several
    | | runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
    both in
    | | full Windows as well as safe mode.
    | |
    | | My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all
    work
    | fine.
    | | But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at
    | worst,
    | | could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.
    | |
    | | Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions
    for
    | | further action will be appreciated.
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | >
    | | > There's a possibility one of those is doing it. Can you disable
    them all
    | | > from running automatically & try very safe sites? Well, try to get
    your
    | | > updates from Windows Update.
    | | >

    | | > --
    | | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | > should things get worse after this,
    | | > PCR
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    IE6".
    | | > |
    address
    | | > in an
    | | > window.
    However,
    | | > If I
    | | > address
    | | > when I am
    | | > another
    | | > i.e., the
    | | > |
    | | > process,
    | | > happens.
    | | > something
    site.
    | | > |
    Micro
    | | > and
    Trend
    | | > Micro,
    | | > nothing
    | | > virus
    | | > others --
    | | > |
    I'm
    | | > afraid
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

    PCR -- I ran into the same problem described in the google reference.
    After 10 minutes, ZA would lock me out of the internet. I used the ZA
    supplied procedure to completely uninstall ZA and the lockout problem
    disappeared. I then did a new install of ZA (free) and the lockout problem
    was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
    hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still present.
    I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
    technique previously described except when the window has no header with
    "stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't open
    that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box and
    Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live with the
    problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from Windows
    Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:

    KB883939
    KB837009
    KB88813
    823559
    814078

    All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process of
    trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten by the
    law of unintended consequences, I guess.

    Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated

> [...]
    > problem.
    > | Also
    > | | tried David Lipman's advice but still couldn't get into Trend Micro
    > to do
    > | | virus scan although their Spyware checker did load. I have done
    > several
    > | | runs with EZtrust AV, AdAware, Spy Bot S&D, and Spyware Blaster,
    > both in
    > | | full Windows as well as safe mode.
    > | |
    > | | My basic computer, printing, scanning, and burning functions all
    > work
    > | fine.
    > | | But, this IE6 and/or virus problem is highly annoying at best and at
    > | worst,
    > | | could be symptomatic of a much more serious problem.
    > | |
    > | | Thanks to all for the previous support, and please, ANY suggestions

    KB883939 is the latest IE cumulative update. Can it cure you? Take it
    from the catalog at another computer...
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp

    KB837009 is a critical for OE. Get it there too. Same for 888113 &
    823559. But I do not find 814078 mentioned there by number, nor do I
    have it installed.

    OTOH, none of these may be the cure, & it may be something amiss with
    "downloading". An association problem, maybe? Did you ever take one of
    those download enhancers? You didn't set your TIF folder to a size of
    zero?

    --
> [...]
    | > ... to do it manually, which did work for Krister Hallergard. Try
    that
    | > one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar.
    But I
    | > don't know this cures you.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | > | mae --
    | > | I uninstalled SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, my Hosts file, and ZA
    | > (free) and
    | > | still have the problem. I re-installed ZA (free) because I don't
    like
    | > | surf on the cable without a firewall and ZA has served me well in
    | > |
    | > | When I rebooted after re-installing ZA I got a strange message,
    | > "Autoit
    | > | Error, Line 0, error: File Handle Invalid". I have never seen it
    | > before so
    | > | I "googled" it. Doesn't sound pertinent to my problem, however.
    | > |
    | > | Still no joy with my problem. Other ideas anyone?
    | > |
    | > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | > | Do you have the immunize feature enabled in SpyBotSD?
    | > | Also, I know many that solved similar problems by uninstalling ZA.
    | > | Just disabling it did not work.
    | > | --
    | > | mae
    | > |
    | > | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | > | |
    | > firewall,
    | > doesn't run
    | > away. I
    | > | |
    | > until
    | > | happens.
    | > | starter.
    | > says,
    | > close
    | > | |
    | > address.
    | > subject
    | > | |
    NO
    | > address
    | > | attempting
    Panda
    | > to do
    | > | |
    | > with
    | > finally
    | > problem.
    | > | Also
    Micro
    | > to do
    | > several
    | > both in
    | > | |
    | > work
    | > | fine.
    | > | worst,
    | > | |
    | > for

    | > them all
    | > your

    | > IE6".
    | > | | > |
    | > address
    | > address
    | > However,
    | > occur
    | > above,
    | > then
    | > | | > |
    | > download
    | > but
    Update
    | > site.
    | > | | > |
    | > slipped
    Trend
    | > Micro
    | > Trend
    | > scan",
    | > stealth
    | > from
    Terhune
    | > and
    | > | | > |
    | > I'm
    troubles.
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

    PCR

    I think you may have hit on the problem. When going to C:\Windows\Temporary
    internet files", then "properties", it shows the file as:

    Size: 0 bytes(0bytes), 0 bytes used

    Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders

    Thinking it might be as you suggested, an association problem, I right
    clicked while holding the shift key down but only get an "open" rather than
    an "open with" option. Can I delete the Temporary internet folder and will
    it re-create on rebooting? Is there a way of finding out what the
    association is and changing it to the proper association if it's in error?

    Here's another clue. When in IE, if I click on tools > internet options >
    general > temporary internet files > click on settings, then "view files"
    I get C:\Windows\local settings\temporary internet files. It is fully
    populated with my recent internet selections. Is this TIF "local settings"
    file the same as the C:\Windows TIF? What is my next move, PCR?

> [...]
    > | > thread here once...

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre

    > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    > disc
    > |
    > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    > ubje
    > | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
    > | > ...in which uninstalling it was the cure to an internet access
    > problem.
    > | >
    > | > However, a normal uninstall was insufficient. NBT posted...

    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNon
    > | NT.html
    > | > ... to do it manually, which did work for Krister Hallergard. Try
    > that
    > | > one, perhaps, or go to the Zone Alarm site for something similar.

    No, looks like your TIFs are fine in size, & there is no "open with" for folders. Something has migrated you to "...local settings", is all. You can delete the other empty folder.

    Well, I guess, empty your TIFs, anyhow... "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as it is sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess. Also...

    (a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button". I am bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"-- automatically. How much disk space is your slider set to?

    (b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you set to Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?

    (c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in Managed Web sites?

    Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?

    --
    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:%23tfXRKChFHA.1996@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    | > problem
    | > | was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
    | > | hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still
    | > present.
    | > | I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
    | > | technique previously described except when the window has no header
    | > with
    | > | "stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't
    | > open
    | > | that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box
    | > and
    | > | Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live
    | > with the
    | > | problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from
    | > Windows
    | > | Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:
    | > |
    | > | All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process
    | > of
    | > | trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten
    | > by the
    | > | law of unintended consequences, I guess.
    | > |
    | > | Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > |

    | http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre
    | > |
    | > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    | > disc
    | > |
    | > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    | > ubje
    | > | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
    | > problem.

    | > |

    | http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNon
    | > | NT.html
    | > that
    | > But I

    | > like
    | > the
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > | |
    | > go
    | > | > | |
    | > normally
    | > nothing
    | > late
    | > | > | |
    | > subsequent
    | > on a
    | > | > | |
    | > subsequent
    | > NO
    | > Panda
    | > | > | |
    | > problem
    | > and
    | > Micro
    | > | > | |
    | > and at
    | > | > | |
    | > suggestions

    | > disable
    | > get

    | > from
    | > | > | | > |
    | > (URL)
    | > the
    | > me
    | > | > | | > |
    | > selection
    | > nothing
    | > installed
    | > Update
    | > | > | | > |
    | > that
    | > Trend
    | > updates
    | > Terhune
    | > | > | | > |
    | > but
    | > troubles.
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |

    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    PCR-- Emptied TIF (including offline) and history. Have done so many times
    since the subject problem started.

    Bolted "check for new pages automatically" Have disk space set to 195 mb.
    Tried higher values with no effect.

    On security tab, I'm set to medium for the internet zone

    On the privacy tab, edit, the "managed web sites" contains a large list --
    several hundred or so, most set on "always block". There are a few "always
    allow" entries -- stuff that I want to get through. There is a "remove
    all" button, but so far, I have been reluctant to use it as there are some
    pretty flaky sounding entries there. Do you suggest that I empty it?

    Yes, I did try to download those updates from the catalog. Same action and
    result as from Windows update, i.e. when I got to the final download box, I
    got an hourglass and no action. When I finally cancelled, I got the IE
    error message and canceling it resulted in an IE restart.

    As an aside, I just got the August PC World mag this afternoon and on
    page149 there is an article describing how some viruses protect themselves
    by blocking security web sites, anti virus programs and other tools that
    could be used against them. I found nothing in the article that would solve
    my problem as my EZtrust AV is not blocked nor is my AdAware and I have long
    since uninstalled my host file.

    I appreciate all the good advice/suggestions you (and others) have
    provided, PCR. I just wish the problem could be identified and solved as
    it's really eating on me. As my wife says, I shouldn't get so emotionally
    involved in this damn critter!

    As before, any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

> [...]

    | > problem
    | > | was gone. However, the original problem of the inability to open a
    | > | hyperlink in OE, or a subsequent hyperlink in an open URL was still
    | > present.
    | > | I can still open some of such links by using the "stop" and "refresh"
    | > | technique previously described except when the window has no header
    | > with
    | > | "stop" and "refresh" (which occurs often) I'm out of luck and can't
    | > open
    | > | that URL. Such is the case with the final Windows update download box
    | > and
    | > | Trend Micro's virus scan among others. I'm stumped! I could live
    | > with the
    | > | problem except I need to re- download several critical updates from
    | > Windows
    | > | Update and can find no way to do this. Those updates are:
    | > |
    | > | All of these updates had been previously installed but in the process
    | > of
    | > | trying to solve my problem, they somehow became uninstalled. Bitten
    | > by the
    | > | law of unintended consequences, I guess.
    | > |
    | > | Again, any further help/suggestions will be appreciated
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > |

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre
    | > |
    | > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    | > disc
    | > |
    | > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    | > ubje
    | > | ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
    | > problem.

    | > |

    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNon
    | > | NT.html
    | > that
    | > But I

    | > like
    | > the
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > | |
    | > go
    | > | > | |
    | > normally
    | > nothing
    | > late
    | > | > | |
    | > subsequent
    | > on a
    | > | > | |
    | > subsequent
    | > NO
    | > Panda
    | > | > | |
    | > problem
    | > and
    | > Micro
    | > | > | |
    | > and at
    | > | > | |
    | > suggestions

    | > disable
    | > get

    | > from
    | > | > | | > |
    | > (URL)
    | > the
    | > me
    | > | > | | > |
    | > selection
    | > nothing
    | > installed
    | > Update
    | > | > | | > |
    | > that
    | > Trend
    | > updates
    | > Terhune
    | > | > | | > |
    | > but
    | > troubles.
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |
    | > | > | | > |

    | > | > | |
    | > | > | |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Can you find another computer from which to download those updates from
    the Catalog? Your settings look good. As far as the Privacy tab, it
    keeps a database at the following Registry key...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\P3P\History

    ....Not positive, but, probably, if you Export that key, you can recover
    from a "remove all", by Importing it again. The sites in there
    supposedly only apply to Cookie handling & will auto-rebuild when a
    Cookie is offered by a site. At that time, you select whether to always
    block/allow. (I did clear it once/twice & have only 8 sites there now.)

    What about... "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab, highlight
    Restricted Sites, click the Sites button"... anything there? That would
    really block them.

    --
> [...]
    |
    | Well, I guess, empty your TIFs, anyhow... "Control Panel, Internet
    Options,
    | Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as it
    is
    | sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess. Also...
    |
    | (a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings button".
    I am
    | bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"-- automatically.
    How
    | much disk space is your slider set to?
    |
    | (b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you set to
    | Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?
    |
    | (c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in
    Managed
    | Web sites?
    |
    | Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?

    | |
    | | I think you may have hit on the problem. When going to
    | C:\Windows\Temporary
    | | internet files", then "properties", it shows the file as:
    | |
    | | Size: 0 bytes(0bytes), 0 bytes used
    | |
    | | Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders
    | |
    | | Thinking it might be as you suggested, an association problem, I
    right
    | | clicked while holding the shift key down but only get an "open"
    rather
    | than
    | | an "open with" option. Can I delete the Temporary internet folder
    and
    | will
    | | it re-create on rebooting? Is there a way of finding out what the
    | | association is and changing it to the proper association if it's in
    error?
    | |
    | | Here's another clue. When in IE, if I click on tools > internet
    options

    | | general > temporary internet files > click on settings, then "view
    files"
    | | I get C:\Windows\local settings\temporary internet files. It is
    fully
    | | populated with my recent internet selections. Is this TIF "local
    | settings"
    | | file the same as the C:\Windows TIF? What is my next move, PCR?
    | |
    | |
    | | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | | > KB883939 is the latest IE cumulative update. Can it cure you? Take
    it
    | | > from the catalog at another computer...
    | | > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    | | >
    | | > KB837009 is a critical for OE. Get it there too. Same for 888113 &
    | | > 823559. But I do not find 814078 mentioned there by number, nor do
    | | > have it installed.
    | | >
    | | > OTOH, none of these may be the cure, & it may be something amiss
    with
    | | > "downloading". An association problem, maybe? Did you ever take
    one of
    | | > those download enhancers? You didn't set your TIF folder to a size
    of
    | | > zero?
    | | >

    | | > --
    | | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | > should things get worse after this,
    | | > PCR
    | | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | | > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | | > problem
    | | > present.
    | | > with
    | | > open
    | | > and
    | | > with the
    | | > Windows
    | | > |
    | | > |
    | | > of
    Bitten
    | | > by the
    | | > |

    | | > |

    | |

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre
    | | > |

    ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    | | > disc
    | | > |

    ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    | | > ubje
    | | > |
    ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199
    | | > problem.

    | | > |

    | |

    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNon
    Try
    | | > that
    | | > But I

    | | > like
    | | > the
    | | > | > |
    however.
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > | |
    ZA
    S&D
    | | > go
    | | > | > | |
    | | > normally
    | | > nothing
    | | > late
    | | > | > | |
    | | > subsequent
    | | > on a
    | | > | > | |
    | | > subsequent
    | | > NO
    URL I'm
    | | > Panda
    | | > | > | |
    | | > problem
    | | > and
    Trend
    | | > Micro
    Blaster,
    | | > | > | |
    | | > and at
    | | > | > | |
    | | > suggestions

    | | > disable
    | | > get

    | | > from
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > (URL)
    | | > the
    | | > me
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > selection
    | | > nothing
    | | > installed
    Windows
    | | > Update
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > that
    | | > Trend
    | | > updates
    | | > Terhune
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > but
    | | > troubles.
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > | > | | > |
    | | > | > | | > |

    | | > | > | |
    | | > | > | |
    | | > | > |
    | | > | > |

    | | > |
    | | > |

    | |
    | |

    PCR -- I exported the subject registry key, deleted the "web sites list",
    and my problem was still there. I recovered the list using the import
    function.

    On the "security" tab, I went to "restricted sites", clicked on the "sites"
    button and found a large number of entries all of which looked like
    "baddies". Is there a registry key where these are stored so that I can use
    the export>empty>import technique I used for the privacy sites? Worth a try
    I guess.

    I do not have ready access to another PC to download the Windows critical
    updates. I will be visiting friends next week who may be able to let me use
    their machine to acquire them. Should I get them on a floppy or CD? I'm
    very familiar with using Windows update (when it was working) which
    automatically downloads them into the proper files but would not be sure
    where to target them from a floppy or CD.

> [...]
    > download box
    > live
    > from
    > | | > |
    > | | > |
    > process
    > Bitten
    > | | > |
    > | | > |
    > was a
    > | | > | >
    > | | > |

    > | |

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre
    > | | > |

    > ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    > | | > |

    > ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    > | | > |
    > ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199

    Hmm, I thought the Cookies block was a longshot but too bad. I have no
    restricted sites. (Once I swear I saw two in there but don't know where
    they've gone to.) You must search the your Registry for one of them. If
    they are kept there, they will all be in the same key likely.

    Some of them are large. KB883939 is 3 MB. Better go to CD.

    --
> [...]
    | > | Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK, OK", as
    it
    | > is
    | > | sometimes a cure for these things. Clear History too, I guess.
    Also...
    | > |
    | > | (a) What is set at "Control Panel, Internet Options, Settings
    button".
    | > I am
    | > | bolted to "Check for newer versions of stored pages"--
    automatically.
    | > How
    | > | much disk space is your slider set to?
    | > |
    | > | (b) At "Control Panel, Internet Options, Security tab", are you
    set to
    | > | Medium for the Internet Zone, or did you go higher?
    | > |
    | > | (c) At the "...Privacy tab, Edit button", does anything show up in
    | > |
    | > | Did you try to get those downloads from the Catalog?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > | should things get worse after this,
    | > | PCR
    | > | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > | "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    | > | |
    | > | C:\Windows\Temporary
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > right
    | > rather
    | > | than
    | > and
    | > | will
    | > error?
    | > | |
    | > options

    | > files"
    | > fully
    | > | settings"
    | > | |
    | > | |
    Take
    | > it

    | > with
    | > one of
    | > of

    | > reference.
    | > the ZA
    | > problem
    | > lockout
    | > open a
    | > still
    | > "refresh"
    | > header
    | > can't
    | > download box
    | > live
    | > from
    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |
    | > process
    | > Bitten
    | > | | > |
    | > was a

    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > |

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.comp.os.ms-windows/browse_thread/thre
    | > | | > |

    ad/d1b6efdc7506bd1b/3d561693c9324199?q=group:microsoft.public.win98.gen_
    | > | | > |

    ussion+insubject:Unable+insubject:to+insubject:acces+insubject:URL:s+ins
    | > | | > |

    ct:after+insubject:10+insubject:minutes&rnum=1&hl=en#3d561693c9324199

    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > |

    http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNon
    Hallergard.
    | > Try
    | > similar.

    | > and ZA
    because I
    | > don't
    | > well in
    | > | | > | > |
    | > message,
    | > seen it
    | > however.
    | > | | > | > |
    | > | | > | > |
    | > uninstalling ZA.
    | > | | > | > |
    | > | | > | > | |
    AV,
    | > ZA
    SpyBot
    | > S&D
    | > not
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > but
    | > just a
    | > that
    | > needs
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > blank
    | > the
    | > click
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > with
    | > URL I'm
    Micro
    | > or
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > obscure
    | > repair
    | > the
    | > Trend
    | > have done
    Spyware
    | > Blaster,
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > functions all
    | > best
    | > | | > | > | |
    ANY

    Well,
    | > try to

    | > opened
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > hyperlink
    | > blank
    | > away.
    | > appears in
    | > to also
    | > send
    | > behavior as
    | > stop,
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > inability to
    | > Windows
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > virus
    | > could open
    | > "begin
    | > kind of
    Windows
    problem
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    Gary
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > fine
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > | | > | > | | > |
    | > | | > | > | | > |

    | > | | > | > | |
    | > | | > | > | |
    | > | | > | > |
    | > | | > | > |

    | > | | > |
    | > | | > |

    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > |

    Never mind that! I still have 102 Master Posts to try out on you! Oh,
    well, OK, then, OK, bye.

    --
    | PCR -- Thanks for your many suggestions. After trying everything you
    and
    | others suggested, the problem was finally identified as a missing or
    corrupt
    | oleaut32.dll. I was able to download a fresh one from my Windows 98
    disk.
    | Kudus to Frank Saunders on the MS.public.windows. IE6 browser board
    for his
    | suggestion..

    ....snip

Windows