Please Help me (System.ini./MS-DOS mode Problem)

I accidently Deleted my System ini. file. I know how to restore it but
I need to Restart In MS-DOS mode first. But since I deleted my System
file, windows only starts up and them shuts down in 6 secs. So I can’t
access my Restart in MS-DOS mode.

How Can I fix all of this?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-System.ini-MS-DOS-mode-Problem-ftopict553670.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757120
2 answers Last reply
More about please system mode problem

    -Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
    (boot menu) appears.
    OR
    - Repeatedly tap the F8 key after the memory count to bring up the boot menu.
    -Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press Enter.
    -Type the following and press Enter after each line:
    smartdrv
    scanreg /restore
    Follow the prompts and select most recent rb###.cab file dated prior to the problem.

    The backup files will be listed in rb###.cab format, and dated. The ###'s in the
    file names won't be in date order. Don't use the one named rbbad.cab. Don't
    restore a backup dated more than a couple of weeks old. The backups contain copies
    of the registry files, and the system.ini and win.ini files, in compressed form.

    BTW, I noticed that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that
    they are simply sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
    unnecessarily using a middleman?

    Visit us using a newsreader at:

    How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
    forums:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "David" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I accidently Deleted my System ini. file. I know how to restore it but
    > I need to Restart In MS-DOS mode first. But since I deleted my System
    > file, windows only starts up and them shuts down in 6 secs. So I can't
    > access my Restart in MS-DOS mode.
    >
    > How Can I fix all of this?

    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-System.ini-MS-DOS-mode-Problem-ftopict553670.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1757120

    Boot to DOS instead.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, David
    <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    >I accidently Deleted my System ini. file. I know how to restore it but
    >I need to Restart In MS-DOS mode first. But since I deleted my System
    >file, windows only starts up and them shuts down in 6 secs. So I can’t
    >access my Restart in MS-DOS mode.
    >
    >How Can I fix all of this?

MS-DOS Microsoft Windows