EZ Firewall question

Updated from trial version this evening. One site I frequent is Circuit City

www.circuitcity.com

I have tried to allow this site to do everything but it still takes about 45
seconds to load the main page.

So far all other sites I go to every thing is ok.

Suggestions are appreciated.

I don't see the connection between the behaviour of that web page, and your
firewall. It takes longer than 45 seconds to load here, on my dial-up connection,
and that is with pop-ups blocked and NOT allowing ActiveX controls and plug-ins to
run. I imagine it would take even longer on dial-up if I allowed all the pop-ups to
appear, and allowed ActiveX controls to run.

Even if you are using a broadband connection, I expect the full web page would be
slow to load with all those extras being allowed. At the very least, you should be
using a pop-up blocker on that page.....I use Google Toolbar, which has a built-in
pop-up blocker.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Updated from trial version this evening. One site I frequent is Circuit City
>
> www.circuitcity.com
>
> I have tried to allow this site to do everything but it still takes about 45
> seconds to load the main page.
>
> So far all other sites I go to every thing is ok.
>
> Suggestions are appreciated.

I believe it's actually the privacy portion of the program,but I can not
turn that off separately. If I unload the EX Firewall, it (the site) loads
instantly on broadband. I have McAfee(shhhhh) on my laptop with a firewall
and the site also loads quickly on it. Oh well, not a big deal, when I want
to look at CircuitCity I'll us the laptop.
>I don't see the connection between the behaviour of that web page, and your
> firewall. It takes longer than 45 seconds to load here, on my dial-up
> connection,
> and that is with pop-ups blocked and NOT allowing ActiveX controls and
> plug-ins to
> run. I imagine it would take even longer on dial-up if I allowed all the
> pop-ups to
> appear, and allowed ActiveX controls to run.
>
> Even if you are using a broadband connection, I expect the full web page
> would be
> slow to load with all those extras being allowed. At the very least, you
> should be
> using a pop-up blocker on that page.....I use Google Toolbar, which has a
> built-in
> pop-up blocker.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Updated from trial version this evening. One site I frequent is Circuit
>> City
>>
>> www.circuitcity.com
>>
>> I have tried to allow this site to do everything but it still takes about
>> 45
>> seconds to load the main page.
>>
>> So far all other sites I go to every thing is ok.
>>
>> Suggestions are appreciated.

Since I don't use the EZ firewall (or anti-virus) I can't tell you anything about
the settings.
--

> I believe it's actually the privacy portion of the program,but I can not
> turn that off separately. If I unload the EX Firewall, it (the site) loads
> instantly on broadband. I have McAfee(shhhhh) on my laptop with a firewall
> and the site also loads quickly on it. Oh well, not a big deal, when I want
> to look at CircuitCity I'll us the laptop.
> >I don't see the connection between the behaviour of that web page, and your
> > firewall. It takes longer than 45 seconds to load here, on my dial-up
> > connection,
> > and that is with pop-ups blocked and NOT allowing ActiveX controls and
> > plug-ins to
> > run. I imagine it would take even longer on dial-up if I allowed all the
> > pop-ups to
> > appear, and allowed ActiveX controls to run.
> >
> > Even if you are using a broadband connection, I expect the full web page
> > would be
> > slow to load with all those extras being allowed. At the very least, you
> > should be
> > using a pop-up blocker on that page.....I use Google Toolbar, which has a
> > built-in
> > pop-up blocker.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "MedRxMan" <medrxman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Updated from trial version this evening. One site I frequent is Circuit
> >> City
> >>
> >> www.circuitcity.com
> >>
> >> I have tried to allow this site to do everything but it still takes about
> >> 45
> >> seconds to load the main page.
> >>
> >> So far all other sites I go to every thing is ok.
> >>
> >> Suggestions are appreciated.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:05:17 -0400, glee wrote:

> Since I don't use the EZ firewall (or anti-virus) I can't tell you anything about
> the settings.

So you reformat once a month, what do you to to assure you're virus
free? I use an anti-virus because it's better to be safe than sorry.

You misunderstood the statement. I don't use "EZ" firewall or "EZ" anti-virus....I
use other companies' products.

BTW, I have never *had* to reformat any of my machines. The system I am posting
from is upgraded from Win95 and still has the original OSR 2.1 installation on
another partition, originally installed in 1998.
--

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:42:49 -0400, glee wrote:

> You misunderstood the statement.

I sure did!

> I don't use "EZ" firewall or "EZ" anti-virus....I
> use other companies' products.

OK

> BTW, I have never *had* to reformat any of my machines. The system I am posting
> from is upgraded from Win95 and still has the original OSR 2.1 installation on
> another partition, originally installed in 1998.

I jumped to conclusions because of a past experience talking with a
computer "wiz" (not here) who justified not using protection by
reformatting once a month - whether if he thought he needed it or not.

:)

> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:42:49 -0400, glee wrote:
>
> > You misunderstood the statement.
>
> I sure did!
>
> > I don't use "EZ" firewall or "EZ" anti-virus....I
> > use other companies' products.
> >
> OK
>
> > BTW, I have never *had* to reformat any of my machines. The system I am
posting
> > from is upgraded from Win95 and still has the original OSR 2.1 installation on
> > another partition, originally installed in 1998.
>
> I jumped to conclusions because of a past experience talking with a
> computer "wiz" (not here) who justified not using protection by
> reformatting once a month - whether if he thought he needed it or not.
>
> :)

:) Yep, I remember the thread you were in some time back where you mentioned that
numnutz, I mean, fellow. ;-) It reminds me of a guy I knew decades ago who never
did *any* maintenance on his car.....no oil changes, tune-ups, nada. He would buy
old clunkers and literally drive 'em till they dropped, then leave them where they
died, with the signed-off title in the glove box.
--

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 17:01:17 -0400, glee wrote:

> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I jumped to conclusions because of a past experience talking with a
> > computer "wiz" (not here) who justified not using protection by
> > reformatting once a month - whether if he thought he needed it or not.
> >
> > :)
>
> :) Yep, I remember the thread you were in some time back where you mentioned that
> numnutz, I mean, fellow. ;-)

GOOD MEMORY, Glee!

LOL I questioned his thought process at the time, but after I
realized he didn't keep anything of importance on the machine he was
talking about, it made some sense.