Upgrade to Win98SE, Windows update question.

Is it the same web updates for Win98SE as Win98 gold?
Or, should I remove all the gold updates before Win98SE install, then let
Windows update go at it?

DB
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade win98se windows update question

    "Dave" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is it the same web updates for Win98SE as Win98 gold?
    > Or, should I remove all the gold updates before Win98SE install, then let
    > Windows update go at it?
    >
    > DB

    Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
    let it do its thing.

    If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
    partition instead.

    There is no Web update, nor any combination of Windows Updates, that will
    upgrade the original Windows 98 release to Windows 98 Second Edition.

    > Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
    > let it do its thing.
    >
    > If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
    > partition instead.

    Thanks,
    If I do a new 98SE install, Will the install process be able to find a
    previous version from a recovery disc?
    All I have is an HP recovery disc for Win95, a Win98 upgrade that was put on
    top of it, and now I'm going to Win98SE. I'd like to do the full install,
    but don't know if it will see the data from a recovery disc for verification
    of a previous version.
    Dave

    "Dave" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >> Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
    >> let it do its thing.
    >>
    >> If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
    >> partition instead.
    >>

    >Thanks,
    > If I do a new 98SE install, Will the install process be able to find a
    >previous version from a recovery disc?

    No.

    >All I have is an HP recovery disc for Win95, a Win98 upgrade that was put on
    >top of it, and now I'm going to Win98SE. I'd like to do the full install,
    >but don't know if it will see the data from a recovery disc for verification
    >of a previous version.
    >Dave

    If you have a retail upgrade CD for Win98 original then that will
    suffice as proof of a previous version of Windows for installing 98SE
    from an upgrade CD.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    > If you have a retail upgrade CD for Win98 original then that will
    > suffice as proof of a previous version of Windows for installing 98SE
    > from an upgrade CD.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    You can use an upgrade as proof of a previous version?
    Wow, you learn something every day!
    Thanks, I'm doing a fresh install then.
    Dave

Windows Update Microsoft Windows