Upgrade to Win98SE, Windows update question.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
July 7, 2005 1:29:34 AM

Is it the same web updates for Win98SE as Win98 gold?
Or, should I remove all the gold updates before Win98SE install, then let
Windows update go at it?

DB
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:18:26 AM

"Dave" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o mSEpyqgFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is it the same web updates for Win98SE as Win98 gold?
> Or, should I remove all the gold updates before Win98SE install, then let
> Windows update go at it?
>
> DB

Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
let it do its thing.

If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
partition instead.
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 10:59:13 AM

There is no Web update, nor any combination of Windows Updates, that will
upgrade the original Windows 98 release to Windows 98 Second Edition.

"Dave" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o mSEpyqgFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Is it the same web updates for Win98SE as Win98 gold?
> Or, should I remove all the gold updates before Win98SE install, then let
> Windows update go at it?
>
> DB

Related resources
July 7, 2005 1:11:53 PM

> Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
> let it do its thing.
>
> If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
> partition instead.

Thanks,
If I do a new 98SE install, Will the install process be able to find a
previous version from a recovery disc?
All I have is an HP recovery disc for Win95, a Win98 upgrade that was put on
top of it, and now I'm going to Win98SE. I'd like to do the full install,
but don't know if it will see the data from a recovery disc for verification
of a previous version.
Dave
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 3:19:49 AM

"Dave" <bswarm@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
>> Just do the 98SE upgrade install, then, go to the windows update site and
>> let it do its thing.
>>
>> If you have no personal data to lose, do a new 98SE install on a formatted
>> partition instead.
>>

>Thanks,
> If I do a new 98SE install, Will the install process be able to find a
>previous version from a recovery disc?

No.

>All I have is an HP recovery disc for Win95, a Win98 upgrade that was put on
>top of it, and now I'm going to Win98SE. I'd like to do the full install,
>but don't know if it will see the data from a recovery disc for verification
>of a previous version.
>Dave

If you have a retail upgrade CD for Win98 original then that will
suffice as proof of a previous version of Windows for installing 98SE
from an upgrade CD.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
July 8, 2005 3:19:50 AM

> If you have a retail upgrade CD for Win98 original then that will
> suffice as proof of a previous version of Windows for installing 98SE
> from an upgrade CD.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

You can use an upgrade as proof of a previous version?
Wow, you learn something every day!
Thanks, I'm doing a fresh install then.
Dave
!