Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth to overclock my system???

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2006 9:03:01 AM

I just built my system its not a high end machine but it's still decent for my use these are the specs:

Coolermaster Centurion
450w Rosewill PSU
Asus A8N5X
AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego Core (factory cooler/thermal compound)
2GB PC3200 DDR400 (very cheap ram)
250GB WD Sata Hard Driver
Connect3D X1800GTO 256MBDDR (I heard people can really push this cards, how?)

I'm only looking at safe overclocks and nothing that will keep my computer shutting down every now and then.

I would be happy with a decent overclock on my X1800GTO

Thanks

More about : worth overclock system

May 2, 2006 9:42:43 AM

I've heard of saphire being able to bios mod them. But I don't know about Connect. Look to see on google if there is a mod on Connect GTO. Never know.

BTW, what video card did you upgrade from, and do you like that card?
May 2, 2006 9:45:05 AM

Quote:
I just built my system its not a high end machine but it's still decent for my use these are the specs:

Coolermaster Centurion
450w Rosewill PSU
Asus A8N5X
AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego Core (factory cooler/thermal compound)
2GB PC3200 DDR400 (very cheap ram)
250GB WD Sata Hard Driver
Connect3D X1800GTO 256MBDDR (I heard people can really push this cards, how?)

I'm only looking at safe overclocks and nothing that will keep my computer shutting down every now and then.

I would be happy with a decent overclock on my X1800GTO

Thanks

Your CPU shouldn't need overclocking; it's very fast at stock speeds. If you do decide to overclock your CPU, look at this guide, and replace the stock thermal compound with Arctic Silver 5. If you have cheap crappy RAM, you'll need to use a memory divider to set the RAM at DDR333 or else you'll have stability problems because you're also overclocking the RAM.

To overclock your graphics card, use ATI Tool. I've heard that it's possible to unlock the GTO from 12 to 16 pixel pipelines, but I can't tell you how to do it. Ask around the forums; you'll get an answer.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2006 11:54:34 AM

If you can get another 30-50 MHz each from core/mem clocks (mem clocks being th most important anyway), your gaming framerate performance will usually scale proportionately...

(I'd not really try anything over 5-7% over stock speeds for thermal safety unless your gpu core/mem is equipped with aftermarket cooling solutions...)
May 2, 2006 3:33:20 PM

3700 at 2.2 is fast enough for right now. You also may want to wait til you can get some better ram
!