PC CASE FAN IS GOING FULL BLAST! ITS LIKE A FRIDGE IN THERE!

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
I have got a new rig going

It is a:

Compaq Presario Case
ECS R410/800M2 Motherboard
P4 550
250Gb Hard Drive
PS2 Keyboard and Mouse
Sharkoon Copper Fan
92mm Case fan
Stock 350w PSU

The current temperatures (with case fan) are:

CPU : 49
Case/Northbridge: 26
Hard drive: 28

CPU Fan is running at 1200 RPM
Case Fan is running at 2800 RPM

When i disconnect the case fan the CPU runs at 800RPM and is at 44 degrees

The motherboard has 2 fan plugs one cpu fan and one sys fan, it has a controller and the cpu fan is controlled but the case fan isnt being controlled

It runs at 2800 rpm, it is 3 pin but the board has 4 pins!
SpeedFan doesnt let me control the fan speed

Please help me bring this down before it takes off!

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
First, there are 3 -> 4pin adapters. You should be able to find one somewhere or you could just make your own. If you're feeling lucky you could even directly solder the wires to their proper pins on the mobo, but I really wouldn't do that myself.
Other ideas:
Use your finger or toes to slow the fan down.
Make a speed controller by mounting a big variable resistor to the plugs.

Good luck.

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Use your finger or toes to slow the fan down.

Good luck.

I would but i am selling the machine and cant tell the buyer to keep their toe in the case!! lol, is there any reason why the mobo isnt controlling the case fan but controls the cpu fan? on the old board there was a 4 pin for the cpu and a 3 pin for the case both were similar one jsut had one more pin. By 4 pin i dont mean molex i mean 4 pin that is like a 3 pin cpu fan connector

Hey, the 4-pin is very similiar to the 3-pin but has an extra wire for the mobo speed control - it should be

1= +12Vcc (usually red)
2= GND (usually black)
3= SPEED SENSOR (or TACH or RPM, usually white)
4= PWM pulse (usually blue)

So maybe the mobo is not controlling anymore, or the fan can't see the PWM signal to slow down...

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If you're going to spend any money on this, I'd recommend getting the cooldrive 4 from zalman, then. If can control 4 fans and gives 4 temp readouts. Along with looking nice. I got mine from newegg for ~$15 a few months back.

Omid

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Thanks Guys, i have now purchased a Zalman ZM-MC1 Fan Multi-Connector Cable, this is great but i dont get RPM readings. I would be very interested in getting a 92mm fan with the 4 pin cable mentioned that controls the speed of the fan from the board (the one with the blue cable) any chance of telling me where i can get one in the uk?