Boot up error

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
July 7, 2005 3:22:05 PM

Hello,

After my computer (running Win 98) boots up, I get an error message
"Explorer - This program has performed an illegal operation and will be
shutdown".
If I hit close, the message just keeps appearing.
I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del - the only thing I can do is power off.
If I boot into Safe mode, I get the exact same error.
I just reinstalled Win 98 (without reformatting the hd) and same problem.
Is there any way I can fix this without having to wipe the drive clean first?

TIA,
Amber

More about : boot error

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:23:21 AM

When you get an "illegal operation" error message, click the "Details" button, and
post back with the exact details word for word, up to but not including the memory
registers. If it says that Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in
explorer.exe, you may be able to recover by reinstalling Internet Explorer over
itself.

I wish you hadn't reinstalled Windows over itself, as that probably reduced your
available options. Often, the problem you describe can be fixed by restoring the
Registry backup from just prior to the problem, but since you over-installed
Windows, that may not be a viable choice now.

If you want to try restoring a copy of the Registry from a backup dated just prior
to the problem, do this:
-Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
(boot menu) appears.
OR
- Repeatedly tap the F8 key after the memory count to bring up the boot menu.
-Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press Enter.
-Type the following and press Enter after each line:
smartdrv
scanreg /restore
Follow the prompts and select most recent rb###.cab file dated prior to the problem.

The backup files will be listed in rb###.cab format, and dated. The ###'s in the
file names won't be in date order. Don't use the one named rbbad.cab. Don't
restore a backup dated more than a couple of weeks old.

If that does not work,follow the procedures here -->
Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/20...
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

Especially the section at the end:

"If you still have boot problems after you reboot, you should use the command prompt
to edit the c:\windows\system.ini file. On the command line type edit
c:\windows\system.ini."

"Once it is open, change the line shell=explorer.exe to shell=progman.exe. What you
are doing here is changing the default shell (that is having problems) from the
Windows Explorer to the old Windows Program Manager shell." Press Alt, F, S to save
the changes; then Alt, F, X to close.

"Reboot Windows. It should now successfully boot with no errors into an empty
Program Manager shell. Use the File | Run | Browse drop down menu selection to
browse to c:\program files\internet explorer (C:\Progra~1\Intern~1) or
C:\WINDOWS\Windows Update Setup Files (C:\Windows\Window~1) and launch ie5setup.exe
or ie6setup.exe (depending on what is there)." Do a Minimal-custom install "and
check all the Bold faced options. When the setup program alerts you that these files
are already installed, tell it to reinstall all of the files."

"When the Internet Explorer Setup program is done and reboots, hit the F8 key to
bring up a Boot Menu. Choose Command Prompt and boot to the command prompt. Once
there, type edit c:\windows\system.ini and, once it is open, change the line
shell=progman.exe back to shell=explorer.exe. Save and exit the file. You have now
set the shell back to the original value."
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm