[SOLVED] Annoying MacBook problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey community,

So I've been having an issue with my Late 2007 MacBook.

So I'll just be typing along minding my own business, and the MacBook will start clicking by itself. It mainly happens while typing. For instance, while typing this post, which should have taken be about 30 seconds has taken me 10 minutes. It will highlight the whole sentence, and when I continue typing it deletes the whole sentence. Or I will just start typing in the middle of the line above. Its getting really really annoying, because I keep having to pres CommandZ to get my stuff back, which requires that I stop typing.

I hope someone has an answer to this really really really annoying problem. It seems to stop when the battery is removed, which kinda defeats the purpose of the MacBook.

Thanks,
-Josh

Solution

Technically, yes. There is a WAY. BUT, it is not guaranteed, and requires a nearly-full tear down.

The trackpad mechanism needs to be disassembled (before you tear down the computer, look on ifixit.com to see if the trackpad assembly in pictures can actually be dissected, and not hermetically...

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Sounds like your trackpad is acting up. Try cleaning the trackpad with some rubbing alcohol, and see if the clicker on the bottom is worn out (doesn't spring up as easily).

Open a blank text file (use any application you want), and type some random letters and so on, put the cursor where the middle of the sentence is and see how sensitive the trackpad is to any input, if it the clicker is hyper sensitive (and this is common on older macbooks), the clicker mechanism is worn out, and you either need to use a mouse and disable the trackpad, or replace/repair the trackpad.

So I cleaned the trackpad with some isopropyl 91% (and the rest of the MacBook for that matter) and it didn't really do anything. I opened the a Word document and put the clicker in the middle and started typing random letters. It then acted as if I was clicking the middle of the page (or wherever the clicker was) and then it started typing there. It then proceeded many more times to click and became very very annoying.

The clicker seems pretty worn out (its 5 years old and suffered much abuse before I bought it for cheap. The battery did not work, so I replaced it.

I am also pretty much able to disassemble most of the computer.

I made sure I also did not accidentally click anything.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I have seen quite a few of that generation of Macbooks with defunct clickers and dead batteries (some 3 dead batteries in a roll in 4 years).

Anyways, try disabling the trackpad and see if using a mouse solves your problem for now. If you want to buy new parts (on eBay) to fix your trackpad, first make sure that it is absolutely the trackpad that is giving you problems.

I was thinking of buying a new keyboard cover thingy (or whatever you want to call it) to see if that was the issue. If not....the keyboard thingy has cracks on it. It's not too expensive, and seems to be something I can ask for for Christmas.

I turned off the trackpad and am using a mouse, and the problem is no longer occurring.

I'm glad I got this thing for only $300.

Is there a way to fix my current trackpad for the time being?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Technically, yes. There is a WAY. BUT, it is not guaranteed, and requires a nearly-full tear down.

The trackpad mechanism needs to be disassembled (before you tear down the computer, look on ifixit.com to see if the trackpad assembly in pictures can actually be dissected, and not hermetically sealed). Then you can take the button off, usually there is a clicking mechanism. Inspect that mechanism to see if there is a wearing out of the spring loading (probably a scissor mechanism), and repair that. Specifics I am not sure for the 2007 macbook. I'm not even sure if the trackpad is user disassemble-able. To my memory, I recall the assembly as one unit without an obvious way to take it apart without damaging it, but I could be wrong.

The idea is to look for signs of why the spring loaded mechanism under the trackbutton has sagged over the years, and repair that if possible. I'm not suggesting that it is easy to do, but just that technically, there IS a way...

Solution
Well, seeing as I am probably going to be using a mouse until I get a new trackpad, I might as well. I actually took the keyboard completely off the other day to blow the computer with a can of compressed air (she never really took care of this thing).

I bought this computer to learn OSX more than anything, but I found myself using it more for school that I thought I would.

I did also read that it could be a result of battery swelling. Maybe the replacement battery I purchased was not correct (even though it fits and works). I will check for swelling.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Apple batteries are expensive, but the aftermarket ones works fine. If it is swelling though, I'd be careful that it doesn't rupture, then you got trouble. The battery is able to flex a little.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Great to hear! Hopefully no further problems for a while.

ram1009

Distinguished

I thought MACS were trouble free.

I've never had any issues with the OS, and I'm sure if you take care of your MacBook it would work perfectly fine. I bought this one used though, and you never know what to expect when it comes to used stuff.

It was also never cleaned or taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.