'Reverse Hyperthreading' coming in k10 what about k8l

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
as i said in the topic, it's coming in the k10, but what about the k8l.

The K10 wont be released until 2011 at the earliest, so who the hell gives a damn.

honestly, i dont think AMD will be able to beat conroe, even after the k10, because by that time intel would've developed and released their own 'reverse hyperthreading', and even added some extra new stuff.

AND this article by anandtech says that

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2748

intel's core architecture has no disagvantages, so we conclude that AMD will be history in 2 or 3 years.

so goodbye AMD

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I doubt AMD will die or go away, but then again, I do think we are going to see some serious competition. I would hate to see AMD die, because then Intel are going to monopolise and over-price EVERYTHING, and eventually the chip quality would decrease, because there would be no other alternative to compare it with. So saying goodbye to some good competition is foolish indeed.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, I read the thread quite a while ago... even added a comment as well... which is why I focused on pointing out to the guy why he shouldn't say goodbye to AMD, otherwise his 'beloved' Intel will rape him with over-priced processors.... :lol:

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Yeah, I read the thread quite a while ago... even added a comment as well... which is why I focused on pointing out to the guy why he shouldn't say goodbye to AMD, otherwise his 'beloved' Intel will rape him with over-priced processors.... :lol:
Ha!

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
intel's core architecture has no disagvantages, so we conclude that AMD will be history in 2 or 3 years.
hmmmm no. AMD was always behind intel until athlon XP, so if they didnt broke when they were behind intel, why would they fall after losing the crown? where where you in the last 10 years? you are probably a 15 year old kid who likes to spend your father's money

so goodbye AMD
yeah, then you can buy a $2000 processor from intel's monopoly

some people are just so stupid...

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Dear Stranger,
Please do not bothering to post things you obviously know nothing about.

thank you,
Your Friendly Fellow Members, Etc., Etc.......

G

Well nobody seams to have paid attention to the AT link he gave.
It's a really interesting read and not even Lacostiade seams to read it carefully.

After reading that I had some insight on what you should expect from K8L. They keep saying K8L its evolutionary and not revolutionnary. I can see quite a few tweaks AMD could do on the K8 to bring it back on par with the <expected> conroe performance. If you look at the life of the K7/K8 architechture, you will see that all the evolution provided a good bump in performance and that this architchture has the potential too scale much further before a total re-design has to take place, thats unlike NetBurst and much more like the P6/Banias/dothan/yonah.

My feeling on this right now is that Conroe should have a good edge over K8 when it comes out. After that, K8L should be able to catch up if AMD engeneer do a good job. And then we might see a good fight between the two compagnies and that would be the best for every consumer.

I really dont see why people think AMD will get nailed for 3 years just because intel release a new architechture. Intel NEEDED a brand new architechture because they obviously did the wrong thing with NETBurst and they could'nt continue doing so. AMD on the other hand has a good and strong scalable architechture. AMD engeneer have'nt been sleeping either and Im sure they can do some tweaks intel's just did with core and bring performance back on par.

I dont see how some people think AMD is unbeatable and that core will suck but thats another story

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Another thread that wastes forumz space and members time.
I don't understand what has that article from ananadtech with something K8L, K10, or whatever you are thinking will be a name of any future AMD architecture?
It is saying not a letter about K8L, K10 or whatever else....
What is that reverse hyperthreading and how is it possible, I want to know, please explain it to me.... :x :evil:

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
the ridiculous thing at anandtech is that he is licking intel's ball before they release their final products. I dont know if the guys that come up with posts like this noticed that remarkable sites, like THG for example, dont even mention the fact that intel made a performance preview.

by the way, the concept behind "reverse hyperthreading" is to make multiples cores on a cpu appear as only one cpu to the operating system, thus, it's like hyperthreading (one cpu shows up as multiple), but on the reverse.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
by the way, the concept behind "reverse hyperthreading" is to make multiples cores on a cpu appear as only one cpu to the operating system, thus, it's like hyperthreading (one cpu shows up as multiple), but on the reverse.
I know what this wish means, but is very unpossible and unlogic for me....
So if someone can explain, I wonder.....

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I actually read the whole article, AND I don't disagree with your comments. That doesn't mean I agree with the way the person started this post or his blunt stupidity. My K6-2 wasn't a very good cpu at its time. If AMD were going to die, it would have then. Moral of the story. If you want to talk trash, better be able to back it. Haven't seen him respond yet.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Firstly... Word.

Secondly, Reverse hyperthreading is a step forward towards true parallel computing, by having two cores processing one thread. Imagine a quad core cpu, and having it run on a dual-thread configuration, meaning two cores per thread. The OS will see the cpu as a dual-core system in terms of functionality, but in terms of hardware, is still a quad-core. By having more than one core processing a thread, you are able to get a bigger performance boost out of the processor. It does this by spreading a potentially heavy task across the multiple cores assigned to that thread, allowing the task to be completed a lot more quickly. The technology required to do this would be quite awesome, since the amount of communication that would have to occur between the cores would be tremendous, however, AMD did perfect the SOI process for 90nm chips, and soon for 65nm chips, so in terms of ability, AMD have the stuff it takes to pull this sort of stuff. Such technology would see its greatest benefit in single-threaded apps like games and such, though even then, threaded apps should also get a meaty boost. Want more information, this link will be your friend.

DrGadget

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I know what this wish means, but is very unpossible and unlogic for me....
So if someone can explain, I wonder.....

In the past, a CPU did one and only one task at a time. It was the easiest way to do it.

Think of a CPU as a train engine. If you had two separate loads and needed to transport one to Chicago and another to Walla Walla Washington, you could either send the same train to two places (single processor), or send one train to Chicago and the other to Walla Walla (dual processor).

Now imagine you have these two train engines, but you only have one really big load to send to Chicago. The obvious answer is to link the engines together and send it all to Chicago. The railroad companies actually do this. It gets the load where it's going on time. That is what reverse hyperthreading is like. You use the entire CPU capability to concentrate on one task.

In theory, it should be up to twice as fast as using a single core. In practice, it may wind up being a 15-30% speed boost, depending on how efficiently they can segment the program to take advantage of both cores.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Firstly... Word.

Secondly, Reverse hyperthreading is a step forward towards true parallel computing, by having two cores processing one thread. Imagine a quad core cpu, and having it run on a dual-thread configuration, meaning two cores per thread. The OS will see the cpu as a dual-core system in terms of functionality, but in terms of hardware, is still a quad-core. By having more than one core processing a thread, you are able to get a bigger performance boost out of the processor. It does this by spreading a potentially heavy task across the multiple cores assigned to that thread, allowing the task to be completed a lot more quickly. The technology required to do this would be quite awesome, since the amount of communication that would have to occur between the cores would be tremendous, however, AMD did perfect the SOI process for 90nm chips, and soon for 65nm chips, so in terms of ability, AMD have the stuff it takes to pull this sort of stuff. Such technology would see its greatest benefit in single-threaded apps like games and such, though even then, threaded apps should also get a meaty boost. Want more information, this link will be your friend.
In the past, a CPU did one and only one task at a time. It was the easiest way to do it.

Think of a CPU as a train engine. If you had two separate loads and needed to transport one to Chicago and another to Walla Walla Washington, you could either send the same train to two places (single processor), or send one train to Chicago and the other to Walla Walla (dual processor).

Now imagine you have these two train engines, but you only have one really big load to send to Chicago. The obvious answer is to link the engines together and send it all to Chicago. The railroad companies actually do this. It gets the load where it's going on time. That is what reverse hyperthreading is like. You use the entire CPU capability to concentrate on one task.

In theory, it should be up to twice as fast as using a single core. In practice, it may wind up being a 15-30% speed boost, depending on how efficiently they can segment the program to take advantage of both cores.
Again, these are wishes, thre is nothing technical in the explanatiton.
Tell me how one linear thread can be divided and processed by many cores. Any logical explanation.
It is better to explain like this, and see that is impossible and is onlt wish of uneducated fanboy:
If one woman can born 1 child for 9 months, than 9 woman can born 9 childern for 9 months. Does it means that 9 mothers born 1 child for 1 month?

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
ngas.jpg

Thanks for trying though!

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
If we COULD tell you TECHNICALLY how all this works, we would be PAID NOT TO. Do you honestly think there are that many people in the world that are educated enough in the field that one would be so bored and un-employed to spend his day posting on TG? I'm not saying people here are un-employed, I'm saying that that type of info would only be released by someone who wasn't employed or under contract. Heck, If I knew all the details on this, you betcha I'd get me a job working in the field. Look up the average salary for an Intel employee.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
hey, i'm at work right now, i'm not unemployed :p

for gOJDO, intel's HT is out for years already, and i cant see anything more technical than "allow your OS to see one cpu as two"... pretty technical huh?

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Hey, I just tried to explain it as best as I could. Unfortunately, I have not seen any technical blueprints or detailed reports on Reverse Hyperthreading, so i can't be as technical as you want me to be. Either way, I'm interested to see how AMD might develop such a concept into reality.

hmmmm no. AMD was always behind intel until athlon XP, so if they didnt broke when they were behind intel, why would they fall after losing the crown? where where you in the last 10 years? you are probably a 15 year old kid who likes to spend your father's money

so goodbye AMD
yeah, then you can buy a $2000 processor from intel's monopoly

some people are just so stupid...

How old are you ? do you remember a chip called the thunderbird
I do and I also remember it kicking ass all over the p3

So no AMD was not always behind untill the xp series

I sell intel I think they both make great products
I get sidepipe just setting up any system socket 775 or 939
providing they arent cheap celeron pricks

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
hey, i'm at work right now, i'm not unemployed :p

for gOJDO, intel's HT is out for years already, and i cant see anything more technical than "allow your OS to see one cpu as two"... pretty technical huh?
Yes, what about Reverse Hyperthreading mentioned and some-how explained more as wish than as idea by some disscutants on this thread.
I know exactly how HT works, but the folowing article can explain it better and more than I:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/pentium4xeonhyperthreading/

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Well as long as reverse hyperthreading doesn't come in K9, because its its a pit bull, Ill be reverse hyperthreding in the opposite direction