System Configuration Utility

I have many items listed in the startup menu in System Configuration Utility
that I no longer use. Is there a way that I can delete these items from this
startup menu?
Thanks,
Gordon
5 answers Last reply
More about system configuration utility

    BigBuck98 wrote:
    > I have many items listed in the startup menu in System Configuration
    > Utility that I no longer use. Is there a way that I can delete these items
    > from this startup menu?
    > Thanks,
    > Gordon

    Do you mean System Information?
    Anyway, most all of those are only shortcuts anyway so yes you can delete
    them, but really System Information and the other basics are good to have
    easy access to otherwise if you ever need them on the fly you will have to
    find the actual exe's for them.

    If your purpose is to clean up your Start menu then consider consolidating
    all your other regular installed programs into likeminded group folders. If
    you go to Start> Explore then you have more flexibility in that menu to
    combine/create folders, for instance like taking all the Microsoft programs
    and putting them in a folder called Microsoft ..right there you can gain
    alot; make another folder called Utilities... and so on. But best to leave
    the Accessories> System Tool folder as is except of course for deleting the
    shortcuts of DriveSpace and things like that which you don't need...

    Rick

    "BigBuck98" <gdubs@anywhere.net> wrote in message news:T9adnVqBT_cM91PfRVn-hg@suscom.com...
    > I have many items listed in the startup menu in System Configuration Utility
    > that I no longer use. Is there a way that I can delete these items from this
    > startup menu?
    > Thanks,
    > Gordon

    If you are trying to remove unchecked entries in msconfig, start regedit and
    expand the following keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Beneath each key, you will probably find a similar key followed by a hyphen(Run-,
    RunServices-). This is where the information for some of the disabled programs
    is stored. You can delete individual entries or the entire key. Next, check
    "C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items" and move or delete any
    unwanted items. Finally, open "C:\Windows\Win.ini", find the "[windows]" section
    and remove any lines that begin with "norun=" or "noload=".

    Ben

    Ben Myers wrote:
    [...]

    ...oh gosh you're right Ben he's talking about msconfig, geeze I misread his
    post entirely this morning in the original name of System Configuration
    Utility... arf.. embarrassed am I and will go back to bed I go then.

    Rick

    I don't know what you're talking about, BUT...

    First pick one of these to identify what loads at boot. Next, see
    whether there is an option in it's menus to disable it from starting up.
    If you really want to rid yourself of it on a more permanent basis, then
    look for it in "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs". However, it isn't
    often easy to know what is what in there. One of these URL's may say.
    Only last, go to StartUpCop.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q137367
    Startup Items
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q179365/ Startup Group
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheppard.p/startup.htm
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm
    http://www.djbdesigns.com/wtvzone/startup.html
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.html
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
    http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/start.htm
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's StartUpCop has "undo", and it is more than a
    combination of "START, Run, MSInfo32, Software Environment, Startup
    Programs" and "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". It can even do a
    permanent delete. Of course, first see whether the app has an option in
    it's own menus to remove itself from the Startup Group. This is
    configurable, and one may maintain multiple configurations.

    Update definitions & check for viruses, and...
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#tshoot
    http://patrick.kolla.de/spybotsd.html SpyBot- Search & Destroy. SpyBot
    is gabby in it's "Checks" & "Fixes" logs. Turn them off in "Settings".
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ AdAware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.de/ Also AdAware
    http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html CoolWebSearch Chronicles
    http://www.merijn.org/files/cwshredder.zip & CWShredder
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip Finally, Hijack This
    http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm
    Hijack This Logs Tutorial-- MUST read!
    http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jrmc137/hjttutorial/tutorial.htm
    Another one worthy of serious study!
    ....may find something. (Actually, they certainly will.)

    .......Quote..........................
    Download and run Hijack This, but don't remove anything with it yet:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip
    Follow the instructions at this Tutorial:
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/
    to save the log files and paste them into a new post at one of these
    forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=11
    http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi
    http://tomcoyote.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=499

    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "BigBuck98" <gdubs@anywhere.net> wrote in message
    | I have many items listed in the startup menu in System Configuration
    Utility
    | that I no longer use. Is there a way that I can delete these items
    from this
    | startup menu?
    | Thanks,
    | Gordon

    Ben that is what I was trying to remove the unchecked entries in msconfig.
    Your instructions worked great. I now have everything removed in msconfig
    that I don't use anymore.
    Thanks for the great instructions.
    Gordon

    "Ben Myers" <benjmyers@mindR-E-M-O-V-Espring.com> wrote in message
    "BigBuck98" <gdubs@anywhere.net> wrote in message
    > I have many items listed in the startup menu in System Configuration
    Utility
    > that I no longer use. Is there a way that I can delete these items from
    this
    > startup menu?
    > Thanks,
    > Gordon

    If you are trying to remove unchecked entries in msconfig, start regedit and
    expand the following keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

    Beneath each key, you will probably find a similar key followed by a
    hyphen(Run-,
    RunServices-). This is where the information for some of the disabled
    programs
    is stored. You can delete individual entries or the entire key. Next,
    check
    "C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items" and move or delete
    any
    unwanted items. Finally, open "C:\Windows\Win.ini", find the "[windows]"
    section
    and remove any lines that begin with "norun=" or "noload=".

    Ben

Configuration Microsoft Windows